Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Your name

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

IV because Mark IV is the name of a british tank that was the first tank ever inserted in a war.

HUH?

PhilbusMo said:

Cree-fiss
Prints
Loot
Ling-gui-ci-ah
Mike

Cray-fiss
Prints
Loot
Ling-we-ca
Mick

Prince of Darkness said:

I am still a member not only for knowing how to lurk (unlike some here) but also because I have no doom to mod with. It is a sad state of affairs, but the instant I needed to look for my collector's edition of the game I could not find it. I still has sadface :(

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2300/

:P

kyka is a shortened version of "Kysev Karenn which is a character I made up for the sequel to a novel I wrote.

The first part, Kysev is the internet handle I use the most. The Ky is actually short for "Kylie", who was a girl I really liked, and who liked me too, but for some reason we never hooked up. Life is like that sometimes.

The "Sev" part comes back from the days of video arcade and pinball games, when you got a high score and could only enter three letters next to your score. And seeing as my name is Steve, it kinda became Sev.

So, Kysev. And Karenn. (pronounced KaRENN, not Karen the girl's name) which became kyka.

And my title? Long story short, I behaved like an epic fucktard for the first month or so I was here. Thoroughly deserved this title I might add. Though hopefully not forever. Mods?

PhilibusMo said:

Cree-fiss
Prints
Loot
Ling-gui-ci-ah
Mike

When I see these names, in my head I pronounce them something like this:

Cre-uh-phis.

Prince.

Lut. Not "Loot", not "lot", and especially not "lert" but about in the middle of all three. Sort of.

Ling-gwee-kah. (Like the first two syllables of "linguist," with "ka" on the end.) I am *pretty sure* this is not the correct pronunciation.

Mik. I remember I sent myk a PM asking how he pronounced it, and he pretty much said what he said here.

Since we're all discussing the pronunciation of these particular names...

Creaphis: kree-AH-fiss
Lüt: Loot (not the proper ü pronunciaton though)
myk: Alternately mick or Mike...since I never say it out loud I haven't really decided
Linguica: LING-gwi-kuh
printz: prints
And also, along the vein of pronunciation-ambiguous names, I say Maes as "mize"...have no idea if that's right or not...

I was about 15 and we first got the internet. Also Robot Wars was popular at the time and i was making my own one (a remote control car with a plastic "nail box" thing you hang on walls upside down on it, with a nail for a weapon) and it called it Deathbringer, so decided to use that name for me as well.

In most other places i use Felneymike, because i'm Mike and the most "famous" thing i've done on the internet is a comic called Felney

Bah, I say Maes My-es or something similar. Hopefully that's right...

I say Technician teek-nee-see-on. /sarcasm

And kyka, I like that your custom title and your avatar go perfectly together. It's so... lurkish.

And after reading this thread, I don't think I'm in a rush to get a custom title yet. Don't wanna be remembered for being a dumbass... wait, what DOES Ralphis's custom title mean? Where did it derive from? That's another thing that has bothered me for a long time...

Maes is actually a shortened version of "Maestorak", a name I had given to a dark dwarven hero in a fantasy RTS game, Warlords Battlecy II. It's a pun on several elements, like "majesty", the concept of tinkering in Greek (μαστορεύειν) as well as sounding somewhat dark/evil. Only later I found out that the shortened version is a very common Belgian/Flemish surname, as well as a brand of beer. Go figure.

As to how I pronounce it: Maes :-p

What the hell, multiple people actually like my username? Well alright, I guess I'll stick with it, but damn, I didn't expect that people would actually like it.

Ah, now's my chance to demonstrate my tremendous memory of all things trivial.

Ralphis' custom title was previously...

<Ralphis> does it involve penises

...which belies the fact that he had penises on his mind in some IRC conversation I know nothing about. More recently, it spent a very brief period as "It DOES involve penises" and then finally became "Everything I do involves penises." It will take someone from that original IRC conversation to crack the rest of the riddle.

Ninjalah said:

And kyka, I like that your custom title and your avatar go perfectly together. It's so... lurkish.

This would never have occurred to me, but now that you say it, yeah, totally.

Also:

Maes: Pronounced MAYiss, as in rhymes with dais.

I actually kinda liked having BANNED as my custom title. Although I'd much prefer it be changed back to 'once a Janitor, always a Janitor'

My name was spawned from a strange fascination with putting unnecessary Es on the end of every word during my younger years. Bashe ended up being a result, and it just stuck ever since. Sometimes I append an 86 to the end of my username if someone else is already using it, because there was I time when I worshiped 1986 as the best year for thrash metal. :P

I pronounce my name as "Bash" but I've also heard "Bosh", "Bayshe", and "Bash-ee." Doesn't really matter to me, but I prefer "Bash."

Lüt - leut or luet or however you write the OO and AH sounds crossed
Myk - mike
Creaphis - cree-fiss
Ninjalah - nin-JA-lah
Maes - mice with a dipthong. kinda like "maiss"
Linguica - lin-gwee-kah
printz - printz :P (NOT prints, it has a z!)

My name came from some birthday when I was turning 13 or something, my dad took me and my friends to play laser tag. We were joking around and coming up with really silly code-names, often by thinking of nonsensical combinations of words. I said Magic Sofa and everyone thought it was a riot, and since I use it for everything online. The only time my name would be different is in rpg's where they require a "real" name, or when I feel like changing it to AfosCigam in fps's.

I merely stole the name of my favorite Nintendo character :P I garnered a great liking to Kirby after Super Smash Bros. came out for N64 and have taken to using his name on here, at ZDoom, and in online gaming.

Previously I used to go by Falcon25. Why? - I simply wanted to have a cool nickname and came up with that, and it has somehow led me to have 25 be my favorite number.

myk - Mike
L­üt - Loot (while it may not be the right way, it feels right to me :P )
Creaphis - KREE-UH-FISS
Kyka - KIKE(like bike)-UH

Yep, that's all :P

Prior to using this name, I used a Japanese one (an authentic one, mind you.) When I grew out of my preteen Wapanese phase, I wanted to change it to something else. I suggested to a friend that I would change my name to "The Red Herring," and he successfully urged me to use a different color for a reason that was so utterly, unfathomably retarded that I can't even state it here. (Hey, I was 12 back then!) It stuck ever since, although some day I want to change the color back to Red.

At least it makes me sound like a superhero, huh? ;)

I think it's funny how everyone mispronounces Linguica. It's "Ling-wee-sah". No, seriously (though according to that, the n isn't pronounced...it is by Americans, though).

Ralphis said:
Creaphis like Cree-fiss, this dude stole half of my nick

Admit it, you guys belong to a same secret brotherhood plotting to take over the world!

Maes said:
As to how I pronounce it: Maes :-p

I say "Mahz," though perhaps with a bit of an E-like ending for the A, as you might hear in the southern US. In Spanish, Maes is easy, though.

Bashe said:
I pronounce my name as "Bash" but I've also heard "Bosh", "Bayshe", and "Bash-ee." Doesn't really matter to me, but I prefer "Bash."

I use BASH-ay, as that's what usually happens to the final Latin E when pronounced in English.

magicsofa said:
printz - printz :P (NOT prints, it has a z!)

Well, if you do that, it becomes "prindz," because you can't have voiceless and voiced consonants together, unless the latter is liquid, as they contaminate each other.

I pronounce Bank as "Bank". (As in rhyming with 'tank'.) It's a tough one, I admit, but I think I have it right. o_0

Also Danarchy. Would you say it "Danarchy" as in rhymes with anarchy? I guess that is probably right, but for some reason, I have always said it as "Dannaki, with emphasis on the DANN, the last two syllables spoken fast, spoken kind of like "finnicky" or "panicky."

And Kirby, you have got mine exactly right.

just some random crap I came up with when registering. I have another account on another forum where Im blackreaver, but that was just as random.

Think maybe I was inspired by a band named Astriaal, which have a song named "Reaver of The Dark Ages" or something...not sure though, cant remember.

No title.

edit: just a note: Ive never had any specific "internet nick" I`ve been sticking to over the years. Different from forum to forum, and game to game. I played Quake 2 online for YEARS, and I was pretty good. I was even on the national team and played internationl competitions and stuff, but I always changed my nick. That kinda annoyed the other players, hehe. I had to keep a nick thoughout each tournament at least, but then I changed again :P

Danarchy said:

I think it's funny how everyone mispronounces Linguica. It's "Ling-wee-sah". No, seriously (though according to that, the n isn't pronounced...it is by Americans, though).

Always pronounced it that way, can't see any reason not to.

Kyka said:

I pronounce Bank as "Bank". (As in rhyming with 'tank'.) It's a tough one, I admit, but I think I have it right. o_0

The inner machinations of my name are an enigma.

Bank said:

Always pronounced it that way, can't see any reason not to.

Because it's "c", not "ç".

I used to have the name Largos, until I created my WoW character, a druid. Since then I'm Talvi, which is, if you wonder, a finnish word. Since there are many metalheads around here, some might notice it's also the title of a Moonsorrow song.

Kirby said:

Creaphis - KREE-UH-FISS

Yes, another preferred pronunciation of my name is to just shout the entire thing.

printz said:

I'm also proudly able to pronounce ZDoom as a single syllable: zdoom. Not zee doom at all.

I like to pronounce GZDoom as "Cheezy Doom" or "Jizzy Doom" or "Gez Doom"

There's one name on here I just can't figure out how to pronounce, and I just can't remember whose it was (he hasn't posted in this thread).

DuckReconMajor said:

I like to pronounce GZDoom as [...] "Gez Doom"

No, there is no reason to give me credit for this port.

Crap, I suppose if I posted here I have to play along. Fine. I'm a galactic exploration zombie.