Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

This is sheer fucking genius

This DRM crap is getting beyond ridiculous. I'm not buying that.... actually wasn't going to anyways, so fuck em.

Well, to give the Devil his due, that OnLive thing, if it will ever be deployed to the mass market, will go even beyond what makes you cringe: high performance network connectivity will be VITAL to even enable you to use the service, and you will not own even a game box or a single downloaded file or savegame. Nada. Now, how's that compared to what will surely end up being another 0-day crack?

Yeah but I was under the impression that OnLive was supposed to be an option for playing games rather than a requirement. I can't imagine any developer would make their games available to only OnLive users. If OnLive ever happens, that is..

Maes said:

Well, to give the Devil his due, that OnLive thing, if it will ever be deployed to the mass market, will go even beyond what makes you cringe: high performance network connectivity will be VITAL to even enable you to use the service, and you will not own even a game box or a single downloaded file or savegame. Nada. Now, how's that compared to what will surely end up being another 0-day crack?

And you don't think that hackers will figure that shit out within a few weeks (days, hours?) of it's release and crack that shit open like a ripe coconut all the same?

Maes said:

I doubt that such a service is ever going to work. But if it did it all depends on the price. If I could subscribe to a game for a week or two paying €5-10 it might be worth it. But if the geniuses think they can charge more than for the same thing on a physical medium it's going to tank - just like all movie download services which can't even barely compete with BluRay despite offering significantly lower quality.

I'm going to make all my mods require a serial unlock code to play from now on.

EDIT: Seriously, is Ubisoft not familiar with Comcast?

This is why I prefer classic games over new one's, you will never have a company screw you over with a stupid decision like this.

Graf Zahl said:

I'll play some Doom instead.

Ubisoft doesn't know where to look... The fuckers are just going piss more people off. (Game looks good but not my interest...)

Graf Zahl said:

If my computer could run it, I'd pirate Splinter Cell Rogue Agent out of spite (The only reason I pirated Doom II was because my friend sent the files to me, I'll probably buy Collector's Edition sometime).

I'll play some Hexen instead.

Fat tracks, error sectors, dongles, "enter word X from line Y on page Z", code wheels, photocopier-proof code sheets, self-decrypting boot loaders, non-DOS disks, registration keys and etc. I'd hate to think how many copy protection systems I've seen in the last 25+ years (one used a small prismatic lens which was held up to the monitor in order to read the on-screen pass-code correctly) few of which survive for long when confronted by a determined hacker. The only losers in this ongoing war are the paying customers.

Graf Zahl said:

kristus said:

And you don't think that hackers will figure that shit out within a few weeks (days, hours?) of it's release and crack that shit open like a ripe coconut all the same?

If you mean the copy protection of Ubi Soft's "masterpiece", yeah ofc it will be cracked: there's the disk, there's the data, there's the .exe, and hey presto, here's the crack. That's why I specifically referred to 0-day warez.

However a service like OnLive would be theoretically impervious to such attacks -no executables, OSes, runtime environments or even data files to hack, since everything will be on a remote server interfaced to the used only via a "remote gamepad" of sorts and a video/audio stream.

I'd like to see how that could be ever be hacked or cracked. Maybe disrupted, if someone manages to perform a game-crashing input/killer poke with a remote/virtual gamepad alone but cracking in the traditional sense? Not by a long shot.

OK, depending on how much logic they put in the "microconsole" there may be a couple of geeky things one could do, but by and large, the real stuff will happen on the other side of the wire (and the TV), from which you're effectively separated. Now, THAT's every DRM-freak's wet dream.

Darn Ubisoft, I used to like your games.

I'll shoot some monsters with guns instead..... in good old 90s games.... like Doom

Maes said:

However a service like OnLive would be theoretically impervious to such attacks -no executables, OSes, runtime environments or even data files to hack, since everything will be on a remote server interfaced to the used only via a "remote gamepad" of sorts and a video/audio stream.

Now, THAT's every DRM-freak's wet dream.

For people with less than ideal Internet connections (like most Australians) it'd be as popular as a porcupine in a nudist colony.

True dat. It's about as practical as teleportation technique. It's theoretically possible. But to actually pull it off you need sooo much, to do so little.

GreyGhost said:

For people with less than ideal Internet connections (like most Australians) it'd be as popular as a porcupine in a nudist colony.

Unadequacy for demographics outside of a relatively high-echelon target group (from various standpoints like e.g. credit card and relatively stable/fast internet availabiliy) has never stopped a service from being implemented and marketed, so far.

E.g. from the average Greek consumer's perspective, the average American has about 3-4 times the income at his disposal, is almost guaranteed to have a credit card, is more geared towards a service-culture, has much higher expectations etc. so a service like OnLive would perhaps work wonders in small enclaves like e.g. affluent neighborhoods in major cities, semi-private networks etc.

Yeah, the tech issues behind it for general use are unsurmountable as of now, there was even a longish thread here at DW about that. Only with dedicated guaranteed-performance lines or something (like Cable for games) would that ever have any chance of working, not over general IP channels.

This is about as bad as Metallica whining about Napster just as an excuse to make the shittiest songs they can. If I was as old as I am back then, I would have downloaded every single Metallica album off Napster out of spite.

I'll play some Magic the Gathering instead

And people wonder why I don't like modern games as much.

I'll go register for college instead