Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

What makes you nervous?

Physical disabilities, impairments that pop up one day and don't go away.

On the bright side, things like religion, politics, life/death or any social issues aren't really worrying when your biggest problem is your body failing.

Krispavera said:

"Doom II provided a crucial step in the evolution of the first-person shooter, but its outdated level design and gameplay mechanics don't entirely hold up today."

That doesn't make any sense. Like 90% of the XBLA games are rehashes of older games. Of course it's going to seem outdated.

I think people today expect lots of very short, linear maps, mission-oriented gameplay (walk from one glowing point of the map to the next fighting small numbers of enemies along the way), constant "link up with alpha team" comments only to finally find alpha team is dead, regenerating health/shields and lots of pointless equipment that you carry around and need to sift through menus to use.

Your character must get better by earning XP and getting to level 20 or 50. The game doesn't rely on your skills improving naturally with experience. With Doom, you can't charge people another 800 points to increase their character level cap by a measly 10. Also today's generation of gamers probably can't handle being attacked in all directions by hundreds of monsters at once. The monster level must be reduced to attacking one or two at a time.

Oh and games need multi-million dollar budgets, you can't give a game 8, 9 or 10 out of 10 unless you've used half a dozen real-life music artists and used real-life locations in the game.

Hollywood's tick-the-boxes approach has come to gaming.

EDIT: I've always said the PC music for Doom games sounds like lift music - that's one of the few parts of that review I agreed with.

EDIT 2: Sorry, that was totally off topic.

darkreaver said:

travelling to new places alone. (like taking buses, planes etc). never liked it. not nearly as bad as it was several years ago though. its barely even there anymore. I figured I needed more of a "fuck it" attitude, and it helped.

This. In fact, I'm taking a train into Queens myself tomorrow afternoon so I have a mix of excitement and anxiety.

bytor said:

Seeing a police car in the rear-view mirror.

Bawwwwwwwww yes. I've never been pulled over, but I know they're just waiting for the right moment to get me. They're after me..

I'll always prefer Ultimate Doom music to the horse shit nothing "music" I've been hearing in modern games lately. At least a lot of the Ultimate Doom songs had an atmosphere and more direction than the modern pseudo Hollywood shallow angsty nu metal I've been hearing lately in games, or the totally directionless and crap orchestra some developers sometimes hire if they're trying to make an "epic" artsy game.

Gamespot's mother.

bytor said:

.... when you've been drinking the whole night. This happened to me a few months ago, managed to get out because the cops were drunker than I was. Hehe

Sorry for the double post.

Krispavera said:

Bawwwwwwwww yes. I've never been pulled over, but I know they're just waiting for the right moment to get me. They're after me..

If you think that's bad, try living in the city I do, where the police will trail you all across town just to try to catch you doing something illegal. They always give up on me after 15 minutes. :P

Krispavera said:

Outside views on Doom. See: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/doomii/review.html

I guess nervous isn't the word. More like frustrated.

Wait, is he actually complaining that the levels are not linear enough?

He also complains that you run too fast... ugh, when I read reviews like this I wanna find an email address to send hate mail.

Oh wait, the review was done by a woman. Stupid bitch, heheh.

Actually any interaction with police officers makes me nervous. I doubt this is entirely true but I feel like whenever I'm in a scenario where I need to communicate to the officer, he's in the mindset of "what can I arrest this guy for?"

DeathevokatioN said:
He also complains that you run too fast...

In a way, but it sounds more like she's just marking the difference rather than complaining. She does say the action "feel[s] stiff until you get used to it. This will certainly happen to a user unfamiliar with it yet familiar with newer FPS games. She does say: But as dated as these elements make Doom II feel, the core shooting is still enjoyable. Also, about non-linearity and key hunting; new users might get disoriented, as well due to being used to more linear layouts and obvious objectives. I think that what she says overall isn't so bad, but I would have put more enthusiasm on highlighting pros while doing so.

As it stands, the review seems to be written to fit in today's commercial gaming environment. Does the industry today really want people to play older games more than they already do? Probably not, or else they'd ignore newer titles more often. That said, I'm not justifying the "industry" position, just pointing out that explains this sort of point of view.

bytor said:

I don't mind seeing a police car in the rear view mirror, if they're not blue-lighting me. If they are, then it's a problem :P

The military police made me nervous, but they were threatening to throw everyone in our car in jail. Actually, that might have been reasonably interesting.

All games fill stiff on consoles. DooM must be much more difficult on an XBox.

Centipedes are quite edible. :D

40oz said:

Actually any interaction with police officers makes me nervous. I doubt this is entirely true but I feel like whenever I'm in a scenario where I need to communicate to the officer, he's in the mindset of "what can I arrest this guy for?"

Agreed, and I think that's probably true. My mom works with cops and she says 90% of them never try to warm to non-cops even when you act nice to them every day, especially outside of work.

Perhaps as an addendum to my previous message, I caught a dead bedbug (I think) in the shower the other day and put it in a plastic bag so I could show it to an exterminator. Not only did it turn out to be alive, but it has gone missing.

Dude, bedbugs really suck. You should burn your mattress and all clothing

Cops make me nervous when I have pot on me or have had anything to drink, although I'm really good at being polite and calm when talking to them. When I know there's nothing serious to get me for though, sometimes I think "yeah, just pull me over, see how I have nothing weird going on, make my day"

Standing up and speaking in front of people makes me nervous even though I'm fairly good at it :p

Stygian said:

I have the hell out of that.

Torture makes me nervous. The fact that our species is smart enough to deliberately do such a thing makes me wish our level of intelligence wasn't evolutionarily possible. Nature is violent with predators and prey but only humanity deliberately prolongues the pain to such an extent with bamboo shoved underneath toenails and satan knows what other terrors I don't want to think about, hyper triple fuck.
If the giant kama sutra end boss vagina shot me out in just a slightly different location or time, I might have been a 'log' from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Also in our shit society, the prison system makes me nervous. At any time I might suddenly be falsely accused of a major crime and thrown into the downward spiral crime college of anti rehabilitation. Taking a shit right in front of all the other inmates, or being filmed all the time (probably for a entertaining profitable tv show) would be bad enough, let alone getting shanked/raped/etc. Its like they make it fucked on purpose to breed more gangs so they can later rearrest them cuz prisons are profitable.

Bull ants sound yikes. Not as yikes as camel spiders I guess: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Camel_spider Black widows and brown recluses/etc make me nervous especially after looking on google images for bites.

myk said:

As it stands, the review seems to be written to fit in today's commercial gaming environment. Does the industry today really want people to play older games more than they already do? Probably not, or else they'd ignore newer titles more often. That said, I'm not justifying the "industry" position, just pointing out that explains this sort of point of view.

I was actually thinking the same thing, just didn't say it because I'm not exactly 100% sure if this exists in gaming... but it also happens in most forms of entertainment such as music and movies where the media doesn't want people to discover an "underground" market which usually has more quality and less pretentiousness than the commercial market has, so they'll dismiss the underground substitute and highlight their characteristics as "flaws" in such a way that will turn off most of their target markets.

Bugs in general. I hate the thought of any small living thing touching me, I don't know why. I hate spiders but I'm fine with the big hairy ones (of course, not if they're deadly).

I used to be really nervous on the phone but I'm all right with it now. I'm still pretty nervous talking to people overseas though, because of my accent.

Cutman said:

I hate the thought of any small living thing touching me

What about dust and hair follicle mites?

One thing that's been making me very nervous is trying to do complete runs on massive levels with 400+ strategically placed monsters, and always knowing that right at the end of the level I'm probably gonna get my ass kicked by a cyber demon, or an arch vile that's placed exactly where it can do the MOST damage.

Reaching around to grab wallet from back pocket but finding that it's not there. I know it's probably at home on the clothes dresser but I'm very nervous until I can get home to confirm.

E.J. said:
Stingrays

Are you related to Steve Irwin?

gggmork said:

Bull ants sound yikes. Not as yikes as camel spiders I guess: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Camel_spider Black widows and brown recluses/etc make me nervous especially after looking on google images for bites.

Heh - that ED page is brimming with urban myths. I don't mind Huntsman spiders - they're large and creepy looking but relatively harmless - but tend to be wary of Funnel-webs. At least one species is known to be lethal and during the warmer months male Funnel-webs go wandering at night in search of a mate, that's when you're most likely to encounter one.