Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bank

Doomworld Cooking Thread

What gibs to Doomers cook up on their own time?

My in practice motto has always been that if you cook breakfast and dinner right you can skip lunch, so I'm a big fan of hearty, simple meals with few ingredients but good taste.

Breakfast has always been an easy one. There is nothing that can go wrong with hashbrowns. Literally one of the easiest and cheapest things in the world to cook and goes well with anything. I make a couple potatoes worth of hashbrowns and can eat it with eggs, bacon, or between two pieces of bread. If you have the forethought and the desire, you can cook sauerkraut with a couple boiled potatoes in it, let it absorb the flavor, and then make hashbrowns out of it which are delicious.

Dinner is simple: get a piece of meat and something green (or another type of non-green vegetable.) Hamburgers are good any time and taste great fried in a cast iron pan with a little butter in it, onions make everything better, and beef roast stew is one of the only meals that you can set and forget and be fed for a week.

So what recipes do you guys find yourselves cooking up?

Bank said:

So what recipes do you guys find yourselves cooking up?

When I'm feeling fancy, I grab myself some cheese strings and a cup of the 'Quick.

My bro and I have just about perfected the making of microwave Egg McMuffins. This works best if you have those bowls for eating French onion soup (as if anybody eats that at home). Doing them with two eggs is awesome. The difference is mainly that you have to beat the egg into a pulp so it doesn't just explode. They still tend to puff up to five times their original size. This reminds me, I think I'm out of English muffins. Bah.

Really, I can't cook worth a damn. I've even been known to screw up easy stuff like burgers and pancakes.

I love cooking. Usually I do Japanese dishes, like katsudon, oyakodon (chicken and egg thing over rice) or nikujyaga (it's a sort of stew-like concoction; make mine with pork). I also cook a mean creamy penne dish and a wicked broccoli and cheese casserole. But this is almost always for dinner. For lunch I just do a sandwich and some fruit, while breakfast is, maybe, a granola bar.

I'm pretty lazy with breakfast in the morning, usuallt just having a bowl of cereal. I've been known to make potatoes (with onions, herbs and spices), omelets (or herb and cheese eggs), and pancakes (my favorite) before, though.

Recently, I've gotten into making toasted sandwiches. Some deli rolls with Tillamook cheese melted on to them, quality lunch meat, sliced tomatoes, pickles, clover sprouts or whatever veggie I can find, with a liberal application of balsamic vinaigrette on top makes a great meal. I'm also good at making spaghetti sauce, have made my mom's chili recipe to perfection, and have experimented around with various other foods.

I'm really a much better baker than I am a cook, though.

Cut some real thick slices of bread (the darker the better, not loaf or whatever its called), put on some hot chilli sauce, put some thick tomato slices on it, and then some cheese on top of that. Put them in the oven or microwave for a few minutes. Then add even more hot sauce, like tabasco or something similar, on top of it ^^

Another variety is to skip the cheese and put some fried eggs on top instead (or both..). Serves as dinner, or lunch if you are real hungry.

I rarely eat meat, so I really dont have any recepies for that stuff

Ramen noodles have a lot of possibilities for the frugal gourmet. Try ramen noodles combined with half a can of clam chowder (preferably not the chunky kind), or perhaps combined with some Jalapeno Cheddar dip.

I actually managed to throw together a pretty tasty easy dinner once from some instant mashed potato mix, heated beef franks (microwaved in this case - I'm terrible with the stove), and grated cheese sprinkled liberally. Tasty, filling, and...tasty.

My tastes look very French when it comes to cooking, I dunno why, but it does.

My favorite types of dinner/lunches to make are soups, only because I hold no overall interest in roasts unless I use it in a soup.
The soup I know the most and what my family can't resist is potato soup with bacon in it (some leek and onion cooked along the bacon) served with croissant or mix of French breads or a bread bowl.
^ Usually enough made to last 'til tomorrow afternoon.

I love doing Italian, French, and Mexican (heh) cooking. Three of my best dishes are three meat, three cheese manicotti, wine poached salmon with black truffles, and chile verde chicken enchiladas. Sometimes I make British food when I'm really hating my life. And I can bake too, mostly pie but you know whatever is good too. And anyone who wants my recipes just ask. I am not a crazy old lady that has to take a set of ingredients and some instructions to the grave.

kristus said:

I never understood what hashbrowns is.. is it drugs? Hash... brown... hashish?

Hashbrowns are basically just fried potatoes, there are several varieties but the one I was talking about requires grating a couple potatoes in a cheese grater and then frying it as a patty in a pan.

Speaking of clam chowder, when I used to live by the ocean we'd go down every couple days with a paint bucket and a spade and dig a couple hundred. There's nothing better than steamed clams or a nice thin chowder with onions and potatoes in it. Seafood is more prevalent here in New York than Arizona, but still not cheap enough to get a lot of. Crab was probably my favorite and the easiest to cook. All you needed to catch a bucket full was a stick and an hour! Anyone in the Vancouver area probably knows about Red Rock crabs, which are smaller than Dungeness but much tastier.

Pasta, curry, stir-fry, cottage pie, steak, pizza, heaps of things and I love making them all from scratch. I have a recipes section on my website.

I dunno how people can stand not being able to make themselves ultra-tasty foods at home.

Super Jamie said:

Pasta, curry, stir-fry, cottage pie, steak, pizza, heaps of things and I love making them all from scratch. I have a recipes section on my website.

I dunno how people can stand not being able to make themselves ultra-tasty foods at home.

The recipes all sound great but THEY'RE IN FUCKING METRIC AAAAA

I like this thread, my parents don't go grocery shopping, so I have to starve unless i want to spend my own money or innovate. I'd like to hear the different things you guys do with spaghetti and various pasta because for some reason we have a fuck-ton of that.

I should write a book on all the different tomato-based pastas I can make. One of my favorites lately is:

- 800g tinned crushed tomato
- a bulb of garlic
- 50g-100g ham/pancetta/etc
- a vegetable or two, something that goes with tomato like carrot or celery or capsicum, add a chilli if you like hot stuff
- fresh basil

All ingredients are optional except for the garlic and tomato.

Put a heap of olive oil in a pan, like so it covers the bottom of the pan and then some. Peel half the bulb of garlic (5 or 6 cloves), roughly chop them (maybe 5 chops per clove) and cook them in the olive oil over very low heat until they start to soften and discolor.

Chop up the ham (or whatever) and vegetables and chuck them in, chop coarsely or finely, whatever you like. Keep it all well-stirred so nothing sticks to the pan and burns. After they're heated for a few minutes, stick the tomatoes in and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer it for 45 minutes or so. For the last 5 or 10 minutes, chuck some basil leaves in. You can leave individual leaves in or use a whole stem and take them out before serving.

Cook your pasta and serve the sauce with that. If you get your amounts right, make enough to stir the sauce in the pot with the pasta before serving. This isn't essential but it helps.

Random tips:

Always save 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of the pasta water when you drain it, and add that water to the sauce, that's sposed to give a nice shine to the sauce.

Peel garlic cloves by crushing them with the broad side of a knife then slicing the hard stalk end off. The skin just comes away, plus it crushes the cloves to release more flavor as they cook. If you want really finely chopped garlic, just get the stuff in a jar. Fresh garlic is only good for big chunks.

The metric system is superior.

I mostly make pasta dishes.

sauce:
I use 2 canned tomatoes (best if you use the ones that are pre-spiced)
some tomato paste
pre-mixed Italian spices (forgot whats in the one I use)
some wine
and a little sugar to off set the tomato paste
simmer till you get the thickness you want.
I also normal add olives mushrooms and ground beef but this is optional.

Its a quick good tasting sauce.

I haven't really made much else but I'm going to start grilling after my summer class is done.

Super Jamie said:

same it just seems so easy

I kind of wish I could cook more than I currently can, but I am usually too lazy to bother trying new things - especially when there is a good chance that it will come out bad the first time. However, I am a big fan of - potatoes! Because no matter how you do them (and there are lots of ways) you can't really go wrong! I've also heard (word of mouth) that they did a test on college kids where they only ate potatoes for a certain amount of time (months or a year or something) and their health was perfectly fine the whole time.

I am a big fan of almost anything that's actually wholesome and preferably tastes good too, which for me is usually synonymous with wholesome. I like high calorie food (otherwise it's not really food!) but honestly never crave certain kinds of junk food (soda/beer, chips, fatty meat, any kind of white bread). Vegetables are also great...

I've also been somewhat addicted to coffee the past several years, which I think overall is not good, but not that bad either. I seem to be past the point where it affects me much at all, so I can drink a lot or none at all and still feel almost the same (sometimes mild withdrawal headaches).

I also like to eat random (edible) plants found outside like mint, dead man's fingers (a type of fungus), lambs quarters, plantain, etc (after warshing of course).

Christoph said:

I've also heard (word of mouth) that they did a test on college kids where they only ate potatoes for a certain amount of time (months or a year or something) and their health was perfectly fine the whole time.

Citation definitely needed.

The more you cook a potato, the worse it gets for you. Eating a raw potato with the skin is quite healthy, it has almost no fat and quite a few vitamins. Eating a peeled potato that has been baked or deep-fried in oil is terribly bad for you, just all carbs and fats, even worse if you don't exercise.

People could probably live on potato alone, but I doubt they'd have no detrimental effects over a long time. The human body needs more diverse nutrients than any one food can provide.

Super Jamie said:

The more you cook a potato, the worse it gets for you. Eating a raw potato with the skin is quite healthy, it has almost no fat and quite a few vitamins. Eating a peeled potato that has been baked or deep-fried in oil is terribly bad for you, just all carbs and fats, even worse if you don't exercise.

People could probably live on potato alone, but I doubt they'd have no detrimental effects over a long time. The human body needs more diverse nutrients than any one food can provide.

What about eating green potatoes, is that healthy?

Potatoes are really only good baked, otherwise they don't taste great at all.

I'm more of a baked goods cook than a lunch/dinner dishes cook. My favorite thing being blueberry muffins. Whip up a dozen of em, slice a slit in the top to melt butter in, then grab a glass of milk and enjoy. Waffles or pancakes with boysenberry syrup and maple syrup-drenched sausage comes right behind. Cup/cakes and brownies are awesome, and then there's a danish specialty called abeskiever that my family rarely makes (ingredients include heavy cream, not usually something we buy), but oh my god are they good. Just add some respberry jam and powdered sugar ... X). I haven't been to Solvang (socal) recently, but whenever we go we have to get abeskiever, heh.

Otherwise I know the basics of cooking steak, hamburgers, hot dogs etc., and most things have directions anyway so I could theoretically make anything that isn't absolutely arcane.

Funny fact, my fam's oven usually cooks 25 degrees hotter than it's supposed to. Anyone else get stuff like this? And on metric vs. ... whatever it's called, I associate metric with science and the other stuff with home cooking. I don't know about you, but I'd rather put in 1 cup of milk than .236L/236mL of milk into my blueberry muffins mix ;p

Super Jamie said:

Actually I tried to look that up online to get some actual info about it, and could not find anything at all. Hence my saying it is only word of mouth.. Nevertheless I would not be surprised if it is true, partly because most of the minerals in a potato are in the skin (as you mentioned), which often has traces of dirt mixed in as well.

Green potatoes are actually poisonous (in case anyone actually didn't know that) and taste terrible to boot.

I used to microwave (whole) potatoes and eat them plain, but the taste is nothing special - nevertheless it's good in a pinch if you have no alternative methods of preparation - just beware of explosion - if you cut them into smaller/thinner pieces, it's much safer).

I personally don't believe in eating potatoes without the skin, in the same way that I don't believe in eating "bread" that doesn't even have whole grains (and if it doesn't have natural grains, then what IS it??..)

ArmouredBlood said:

Funny fact, my fam's oven usually cooks 25 degrees hotter than it's supposed to. Anyone else get stuff like this?

Older ovens are usually less accurate, this also changes with stuff like fan-forced/convection. You can buy a little metal oven thermometer at the supermarket for <$5. I have one of these because my oven just had "1 2 3 4 5" until I found the right dial elsewhere a while after I moved in :P

Super Jamie said:

Older ovens are usually less accurate, this also changes with stuff like fan-forced/convection. You can buy a little metal oven thermometer at the supermarket for <$5. I have one of these because my oven just had "1 2 3 4 5" until I found the right dial elsewhere a while after I moved in :P

Heheheh, yeah idk who'd find the numbers actually useful to do anything more than simple cooking. My dad has an oven thermometer for cooking turkeys but I don't need to know exactly what temperature I'm cooking my stuff at, I've cooked blueberry muffins so much I know exactly how long to cook them and when to start up the oven etc.

Christoph said:

I used to microwave (whole) potatoes and eat them plain, but the taste is nothing special

Interestingly, a friend of mine did a molecular biology degree and came across a study on the effects of microwaves on various food. I don't know about potatoes but apparently microwaving dairy foods kills as much as 80% of the protein we would otherwise derive from the food when cold.

My grandma used to love microwave cooking (and it certainly was all the rage in the 80s, I have seen many terrible retro cookbooks promising the earth from the new magical microwave oven) but I told her that story and she went back to making things on the stove :P

And because I called you out before (hehe ;) here is a citation, though the International Dairy Foundation claims this is not true.

Take some maccaroni noodles and boil them,take 2 cans of PLAIN tomato sause and chuck them into the noodles after you've drained the water out,Add some butter,usually a quater to half a stick,add a shitload of salt and pepper and you've got yourself a cheap,and good dinner!

Super Jamie said:

You need to cook potatoes, the cellulose in them (when raw) means that your body can't extract the nutrition within. Also, eat enough raw potatoes and you will probably die :-(