Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bank

Doomworld Cooking Thread

Potatoes are only good when mashed (and even then only if you know what you're doing). And pasta itself is pretty dull and boring, you'll definitely need a good sauce to enjoy a pasta dinner.

I don't like using recipes when cooking, instead I might just look around for general ideas, think them over in my head and try my own takes on them. The moment you become slave to recipes and exact spice measurements, you lose what it takes to make your own, tasty food.

Cabbage is great, and incredibly versatile. Cook it for soups, bake it in oven for stuff, stir-fry to replace your carbs (potatos, pasta and rice), etc. You don't need to season it in any way either, but if you want to you can use honey to further sweeten it, or use soy to add some saltiness. Sure there's other ways to spice cabbage up, but those are all you need. If you're stir-frying cabbage to replace your carbs, you can also throw in some onions, ginger, etc. too.

I like to make different kinds of oriental food, but at the same time I'm incredibly lazy. When I'm on my laziest, I'll just grab a bag of frozen vegetables, throw in some chopped chicken, stir-fry with a lot of random spices and enjoy. If I'm feeling slightly less lazy (or frugal, since it's a cheap way to make the food last longer) I'll cook up some rice to go with it, but that's not necessary either.

Bank said:

...cook sauerkraut with a couple boiled potatoes in it, let it absorb the flavor, and then make hashbrowns out of it...

Ahhh I'm liking that idea.
Fat steak off the grill, properly tenderized and seasoned.
Been buyin' the hell out of these little "Michelina's" frozen dinners 'cause they're just too quick and convienant.
A good plate of home-cooked spaghetti wins my heart.

Potatoes are nice but what about Pizza Burgers? Yum.

I'm hungry, I just hope I don't spend $40 on pizza because of it.

One of my favorite breakfast dishes is matzoh fried like french toast with honey or syrup on top.

For lunch nothing is better than a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato slices.

My favorite dinner is oven baked macaroni & cheese using as many blocked cheeses as I can find, and a little bit of tomato sauce on top.

My girlfriend showed me a sweet peruvian dish, which is fried egg, rice, and plantain! I usually make it with bananas however, because they're easier to get. Either way, it seems strange but the combination of bland rice, sulfury egg, and sweet 'naner is absolutely amazing...it's a great meal when you've been out skiing or snowboarding all day, and you need something hot and delicious

I also like making curry, although it's really my roommate who knows how and I just help him :D

Otherwise I make stir-fry with any vegetables I can find all the time. I'm also a fan of toasted sandwiches (grilled cheese ftw), and burritoes (super hearty)

Super Jamie said:

The more you cook a potato, the worse it gets for you. Eating a raw potato with the skin is quite healthy, it has almost no fat and quite a few vitamins. Eating a peeled potato that has been baked or deep-fried in oil is terribly bad for you, just all carbs and fats, even worse if you don't exercise.

I have a friend who makes homestyle potatoes by peeling them, boiling them, THEN frying them up in a pan. It's pretty bizarre. I thought he was making mashed potatoes at first. I always just chop them up without peeling them and throw them right into the frying pan.

Also, a potato cut into eights, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with Johnny's seasoning and cooked in the oven for about 15 minutes = delicious home fries. If you can't get Johnny's then make a mix of salt, pepper, and paprika.

One of the most delicious dishes I have ever encountered has got to be the Jucy Lucy. Basically, you take enough ground beef to form a hamburger patty, and you divide it in two, Form each half into its own patty, and then you take a slice of either American or Cheddar cheese (Cheddar tastes better, but American melts better). You fold that slice of cheese into quarters, and place it between the two patties, which you then form into a single patty.

Grill it up like you would any burger, and the end result is a hamburger with a delicious cheese filling. If you like cheeseburgers, a Jucy Lucy is like heaven in your mouth.

I bake pies, often, with steamed vegetables with mozzarella, ricotta, white sauce or a combination of two of these, and maybe an egg, either boiled and chopped or raw.

i've experimented with some new stuff in my spaghetti thanks to the contributors in this thread. Thank you very much Doomworld :)

Super Jamie said:

Always save 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of the pasta water when you drain it, and add that water to the sauce, that's sposed to give a nice shine to the sauce.

Conversely, save a couple of spoonfuls of your sauce. After draining the pasta, put the pasta back in the pot and add sauce and a bit of butter. Put the pot back on the heat and constantly stir for about a minute, until the butter has melted and it's not all sloppy. This has a double effect: it gets rid of excess moisture on the pasta; and it infuses the sauce in to the pasta making an all-round tastier meal.

Also, add oregano and thyme as well as basil for even more tastier.

That's a really good idea!

I also use those spices, plus rosemary. The above dish is supposed to focus on the tomato much like a dish you'd get in Italy so it's intentionally kept plain. For a bolognese with mince I'll add all the spices I can.