Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Youtube slowness.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:57. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kristus
Megablast!

Anyone else having issues with Youtube being really slow lately. I got a 24mbs download and I can have serious issues with even caching a 360 stream from YT. I mean, YT never been particularly fast. But I used to be able to watch 720HD at least.

Old Post 10-04-10 17:38 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

I always used to blame this on the inconsistent/crappy download rates of my faulty internet connection. But lately, with everything working as it should, I too continue to experience slow loading times of SD videos from time to time. If not most of the time.

I'm looking forward to learning of a fix, if there is one.

Old Post 10-04-10 17:56 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

I've often seen Youtube being slower than "it should be", there's something on its end that's got nothing to do with your internet connection.

Old Post 10-04-10 18:05 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB
I would commit first degree murder and then fabricate evidence to make it look like self defense.

I have a 4.5mb connection and have never had any issues with streaming YT videos, even 1080p.

Old Post 10-04-10 18:18 #
AndrewB is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

@Jodwin. Yeah, it's always been the (to me) definitely slowest video site around. Which makes me kind of wonder what made it so popular to begin with.

Old Post 10-04-10 18:19 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xeros612
Forum Regular

It's horribly inconsistent to say the very least. Sometimes even on the shared internet of the university I can load up multiple 720p and 1080p videos at once and be able to watch the first one while the others load, others I leave it loading for over an hour for one 1080p video(that isn't even at a particularly high bitrate based on the amount of artifacts in the video) and it isn't even half done by the time I get back to watch it. I've also had cases where I finish downloading a file from somewhere else at 360 kb/s or up to 1.1 mb/s, then go to load a 4:3 480p video and have it load like I was running dialup. They could use some server upgrades.

Old Post 10-04-10 18:28 #
Xeros612 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

In those cases I let some link parser like JDownloader handle the shit for me and store the flv permanently in my HD, for huge win. Sieg heil!

Old Post 10-04-10 19:41 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote