Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

Horror Games

Do you play any horror games? Fear, Silent Hills etc. Can you recommend any new good horror games if you've played any?

I find Silent Hill the original to be the scariest. Scared me to death when I was a kid and it has that creepy eery feel to it even today.

Here.

For more modern games, Condemned: Criminal Origins & Condemned 2: Bloodshot are pretty not terrible.

Edit: I also liked Silent Hill 2 in particular, and despite not being terribly scary, I enjoyed FEAR and FEAR 2. I actually enjoyed Cold Fear (Xbox version) more than most people seemed to; the boat and oil rig had a nifty ambience. I remember one of the Vampire: The Masquerade games having some creepy sections, but I'm not sure which one it was. Also, just to round it out, the Timesplitters series had some fun horror-style missions, though they were more campy than scary.

I dont really get scared playing games, but I couldn't play penumbra for longer than 5 minutes in the dark with headphones.

Resident Evil had a similar effect.

I'm a fan of the F.E.A.R. series, if not for the fact that it is a horror game series. Some of their scares are actually pretty good, and god knows that in F.E.A.R. 2 I could never bring myself to play through the school with headphones on in the dark o_o

I'll have to think more on this. In the meantime you may want to check out Weird Dreams (which is also available for DOS apparently)

I had FEAR 2, but never got why it was called a horror FPS; it seemed to just be running around shooting everything that shoots me. How is it different from others?

Eversion

Spoiler

NOT INDICATED FOR CHILDREN OR THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION

While not particulary scary, Dino Crisis simpily for the many 'What the Fuck?!' moments. I've heard FEAR is scray too, but I've never played it.

While I'm personally not very scared by it, most people seem to go through several pairs of pants from Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Alphawolf said:

Horror Games

FEAR

FEAR? A horror game?
heh. heh heh. heh heh heh

hehhehehahhahahahahahahahhahahahhAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Let me make this perfectly clear. If you find FEAR scary. Any part of FEAR at all for that matter. You are a fucking pussy who's probably afraid of his own god damn hands. Every single "scare" in that game consists of nothing but a cheap and pretty much entirely harmless haunted house scare. God help any of you guys who find FEAR scary if you tried Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Chances are it would kill you.

System Shock 2 is the best "horror" game I have ever played. Screw the graphics, it has the most horrifying sound design humanly possible. The voices of the mutated crew as they beg you to kill them, SHODAN being the creepiest omniprescent frenemy you could ever hope for. Combined with the fact that early in the game, you're afraid that every single time you fire your weapons that they will jam or break or worse, I think it has one of the best recipes for a horror game ever.

Spoiler warning for that video of course, but seriously. Be prepared to shit your pants if you haven't heard this before.

Maes said:

Eversion

Spoiler

NOT INDICATED FOR CHILDREN OR THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION

Eversion wasn't scary, just incredibly stupid and poorly designed. I quit pretty early on due to just how god awful the level design and character movement was. Seriously, if you've got a game where it's nearly impossible to drop down a 1x1 block hole, DO NOT try to force the fuckin player to drop down 5 of them while being chased by a god damn black bubbly thing that will kill them instantly if it takes them longer than 2 seconds to drop down at least 2 of the holes.

System Shock 2 is the best "horror" game I have ever played.

See this? Shai's a real man.

I've refused to play System Shock 2 until I finish the first one, but I get annoyed by the weird controls every time I play it. From what I've seen of the second game, though, it looks pretty unnerving.

Shaikoten said:

System Shock 2 Video

That was horribly boring. The atmosphere seems alright, the voices and all, but other than that, that was boring.

Clonehunter said:

That was horribly boring. The atmosphere seems alright, the voices and all, but other than that, that was boring.

No, you're boring. So boring, I almost swallowed my tongue reading your post.

Clonehunter said:

Get out, like, right now.

Maes said:

I had fun playing through that but have no idea why anyone found it scary.

Clonehunter said:

Glad I'm not the only one *protects you from ravenous fanboiz*

I mean, I was considering playing SS2 but if that thing really talks in such a horridly cliche robot enemy voice (try to say something, get cut off, start phrase over at a lower pitch and quickly return to normal pitch, repeat a fuckin million times), rambling about the usual BLAH BHAH HUMANS U SO WEAK LOL then I've changed my mind. I did not find that video scary at all.

Penumbra (all three) and Amnesia are the best horror games I've played in a long time. System Shock and especially System Shock 2 are definitely high up there on the horror. Also I have to recommended Sanitarium for other horror. Truly good horror games are about atmosphere and it's often a swing and a miss when the big budget titles try.

And FWIW the horribly cliche AI voice wouldn't be horribly cliche, or used at all, if it weren't for System Shock games. The originals are still the best.

Craigs said:

FEAR? A horror game?
heh. heh heh. heh heh heh
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Chances are it would kill you.

TO be honest FEAR appeals to me for at least trying to be a horror game. I never thought the original was that scary either, but there were at least one or two scenes that gave me severe chills. I enjoy following the series because I want to see where they try to take their horror tactics as the games progress (this may also interest me at the standpoint of having started ZHalloween). I'm never impressed with the game as a whole, but there are usually one or two things that stand out to me.

As I mentioned before, I still woe the thought of going through the school in FEAR 2 while sitting in a dark room by myself with my headphones on. If you're interested, watch the first few minutes of this vid to see what gives me the chills.

On that note, its also hard to scare people on a universal scale, so you can't give everyone the freakout you really want all the time. But in a lot of cases you can see wher they worked at a certain bit to try and make it as horrifying as possible.

Since you mentioned Amnesia: The Dark Descent , might I ask where I can get this? (I'll search for it after this, but I thought I'd ask just in case)

EDIT: And of course I found the main website with a simple search. Methinks I'm gonna have to wrangle up 20$ to purchase this one and give it a good play through.

DuckReconMajor said:

I mean, I was considering playing SS2 but if that thing really talks in such a horridly cliche robot enemy voice (try to say something, get cut off, start phrase over at a lower pitch and quickly return to normal pitch, repeat a fuckin million times), rambling about the usual BLAH BHAH HUMANS U SO WEAK LOL then I've changed my mind. I did not find that video scary at all.

See what you've done shai? that video doesn't serve jack shit without the proper context. Going through the game from the beginning to that point and realizing what the hell just happened is a lot more intense and horrifying than just showing somebody a video of that part on the spot.

If I hadn't played through System Shock 2 on my own first and watched that, I would think it was boring as shit too.

That said, System Shock 2 was awesome. It's not pants-wetting scary for me like it seems to be for other people, but it's creepy as fuck.

Aww, no love for Eversion :-(

It's supposed to be more creepy and/or disturbing than you expect behind this "cute happy shiny platformer!" facade. Also, make sure that you discover the final, secret (and most disturbing) level of eversion ;-)

Mike.Reiner said:

If I hadn't played through System Shock 2 on my own first and watched that, I would think it was boring as shit too.

Kind of what I was getting at. The video was boring. The game could be alright.

Mike.Reiner said:
See what you've done shai?

Well, I was exaggerating a bit. I still may play it someday. I understand it is out of context and I'm sure the game is scary as hell, but I didn't think posting that video would really show what made the game scary.

@Maes I got the secret ending as well. I found it like Invader Zim kinda creepy, not something that would really scare me.