xvertigox

Any other deathcore fans?

Do you like deathcore?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like deathcore?

• Yes!
    • No - it\'s just rubbish

uctytav said:

I'm interested in whether metal fans appreciate this kind of stuff, because there are obvious similarities.

I'm a fan of metal, but any "music" that's closer is noise is horrible in my books.

I also dislike almost all American and South European "metal" for that reason.

40oz said:

I do believe Use3d likes to wear his pants backwards and write love poems and watch sex and the city as well as make false assumptions about people he doesn't like.

Gee, I guess I was way off base. But fuck you too.

I don’t know what deathcore is, but once I met a crabcore band video.

Genre specific bands qualify as musicians as much as someone doing a paint by numbers qualify as an artist.. no matter how well they stay within the lines.

Metalcore was the only interesting -core genre. Deathcore suffers from horribly derivative bands (moreso than usual, I find), chugga-chugga bullshit, and awful production. I'm sorry, but when your guitarist is using .9s strung in B-standard, he's an asshole. Oh, and he uses EMGs? Double asshole.

Mr. Freeze said:

I'm sorry, but when your guitarist is using .9s strung in B-standard, he's an asshole. Oh, and he uses EMGs? Double asshole.

ftfy

And the guys with a fucking refrigeration sized rack-case filled with every BBE processor and compressor unit imaginable going into a Chinese made Peavey Valve King.. or worse yet, a Line 6 Bogner*** half stack. Tone farming for a set of pick-ups that inherently HAVE NO TONE.

Juvenile is certainly a word that springs to mind instantly when I try listening to music like this.

EDIT: Wait, those songs you linked in the first post are all by different "artists"? Holy shit. Fuckin' blew my mind, man.

Use3D said:

Gee, I guess I was way off base. But fuck you too.

That's like me posting screenshots of your maps and being like "Use3d maps for skulltag too!"

I forgot to mention that I listen to the more traditional death metal (Bolt Thrower) and slightly more melodic (Dark Tranquillity, Hypocrisy, etc) type but I am not a big fan of death metal anymore these days. My main enjoyment is mostly black metal, doom metal and some of its subgenres like black-thrash and funeral doom.

The above songs I was linked to by the OP earlier was OK but not really too exciting to me. Also the -core band I like is Shadows Fall.

I'm a huge fan of the "big hitters" in major scenes, like Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Autopsy (death metal); Darkthrone, Beherit, Venom, Bathory (black metal); and Carcass, Napalm Death, Repulsion, Impetigo, (grindcore). There's a slew of old school thrash/speed, traditional and doom that I like as well. Much of the newer stuff rubs me the wrong way. I seem to only enjoy newer groups if they're old school worship, like Cannibus Corpse; avant garde, like Gnaw Their tongues; or extremely noisy, like Portal. To me, it's tough to beat good old fashioned blasphemous black/death metal, as its sense of malevolence is difficult to top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdRS_G0HZfc&feature=related

It's like the soundtrack to a militant apocalypse of Christ-crushing malice. Absolutely amazing stuff.

AgentSpork said:

Juvenile is certainly a word that springs to mind instantly when I try listening to music like this.

EDIT: Wait, those songs you linked in the first post are all by different "artists"? Holy shit. Fuckin' blew my mind, man.

Pretty much.

What I learned about deathcore today: if you can still hear the chords it doesn't count.

I just think it's lame that someone would go to this thread, and have the audacity to make a post that has no content in it other than "I'm sure <insert name here> would love this thread!" especially that I'm someone Use3D has never discussed musical interests with. This isn't the first time someone has posted speaking for me instead of themselves and I just think that's pretty shitty because I never have and would not do that to anyone else.

40oz said:

I just think it's lame that someone would go to this thread, and have the audacity to make a post that has no content in it other than "I'm sure would love this thread!" especially that I'm someone Use3D has never discussed musical interests with. This isn't the first time someone has posted speaking for me instead of themselves and I just think that's pretty shitty because I never have and would not do that to anyone else.

Calm the hell down and stop inventing bitchfights out of thin air. There was literally nothing even vaguely resembling an insult or veiled second meaning anywhere in Use's post, just a statement that you like something that you've posted saying that you like. Here, I'll even quote the entire thing:

Use3D said:

If I'm going to hear vocals like that through a whole song, the music really has to back it up, and deathcore just..doesn't, for me anyway. I do believe 40oz likes this stuff a lot though.

Grow up. We're not all out to get you.
*waves arms spookily*

My main problem with deathcore is that same one I have with nu metal and other commercial forms of aggressive rock: it's got no balls. It seems to operate on the basis that it does, but it just ends up sounding like a bunch of 20-something kids who think they're hard. Worse is the fact that there is no pressure to learn music theory, so deathcore songs tend to have either braindead verse/chorus structures, or try so hard to be complex that none of the ideas flow together. Then you have the breakdowns, which, in deathcore, tend to consist of palm muting the lowest string, which is boneheaded on a pretty extreme level.

Deathcore is to heavy for me. No speed - no good.

It's also annoying that people want to put "core" in the name of the genre. Why do they do this? I assume that the "core" is borrowed from "hardcore", but what does bands like suicide silence have in common with bands like champion and minor threat?

dannebubinga said:

It's also annoying that people want to put "core" in the name of the genre. Why do they do this? I assume that the "core" is borrowed from "hardcore", but what does bands like suicide silence have in common with bands like champion and minor threat?

It's because hardcore changed in the late 80s and early 90s, I think in the Boston scene. It took on a tougher attitude and a metallic sound. It wasn't fundamentally different from the original hardcore, but aesthetically speaking, it was a different world.

dannebubinga said:

Most -core bands borrowed breakdowns and socially-conscious lyrics from hardcore bands. That's about it.

My brother keeps trying to get me into Suicide Silence. It'll never work as I simply can't find the music interesting. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the band is shit. Nowhere near as bad as Job for a Cowboy, but thats because most diseases I've ever had aren't even that bad.

I do, on the other hand, like heavy metal a lot. I should imagine I cross across a wide-range of very specific genres, but I don't care. I'm quite happy lumping Asking Alexandria in the same boat as Iron Maiden, because "Heavy Metal" describes both, whilst trying to remember that one is New Wave of British Heavy Metal and the other is "Trance Metal" or some form of -core that I'd never heard of before seems like a waste of time to me. I like the music, who cares what it is?

So I watched(read: listened to about 10 seconds before nearly throwing my headphones off in pain) that one Ukrainian band's song, and it reminded me of why I stopped listening to grindcore or anything of this sort, especially the more modern shit. Too overly cleanly produced, thin, high pitched guitar tone, overloud digital drums or drum machine, shit vocals. Pain. My head still aches.

I'll listen to death metal (mostly the early stuff from the 80s and early 90s and some of the newer/more current stuff like Six Feet Under, Obituary, Swedish death metal bands). As for *-core, I'll listen to metalcore (mostly the stuff that's more similar to a commercial[yet still better than new In Flames, Soilwork{if they can even be called MDM past their debut album} Melodic Death Metal in composition than anything else). But this stuff? Headache machine.

this thread needs more hardcore:

and yes it is all hardcore. people feel a need to overclassify every style into its own genre, and i say no.

DoomUK said:

Napalm Death and Carcass got better when they stopped making the chaotic noise they were known for in their very early days.

Never cared for Napalm Death because of their lyrics and for being a bunch of snobby liberals who like jumping on their high horses. But Carcass' first two albums grew alot on me, great meaty riffs and great energetic song writing, and sadistic atmosphere, and then they degraded to generic and half assed Gothernshit melodic death metal, before they finally made and album that was so half assed that they became popular again.

Xeros612 said:

So I watched(read: listened to about 10 seconds before nearly throwing my headphones off in pain) that one Ukrainian band's song, and it reminded me of why I stopped listening to grindcore or anything of this sort, especially the more modern shit. Too overly cleanly produced, thin, high pitched guitar tone, overloud digital drums or drum machine, shit vocals. Pain. My head still aches.

Brother, you said it. A lot of this newer stuff coming out, even if the music sounds okay, is just too goddamned "clean." Everything sounds thin and tinny and "shiny." In the old days of analogue and even early digital recording, there was a bass-heavy, meaty, chunky feel to it all. I really hate how these days, guitars are often so cleaned up and over processed that they end up sounding like synthesizers. That, and todays kids have no fucking clue how to growl/grunt/shriek/scream/ like the old schoolers did. They just sound like a bunch of fags.

DeathevokatioN said:

before they finally sold out.

The choice argument of metal elitists. ;)

But really, their style changed (evolved) and they sold more albums because they appealed to a wider audience. So what? You can still listen to their super early stuff if you prefer it. And who could honestly give a shit about how many copies an album sells or doesn't sell.

DoomUK said:

The choice argument of metal elitists. ;)

I don't enjoy bands who write music to get popularity while bending for the mainstream industry, because said bands tend to make boring music. ;) If that makes me an elitest, then get over it. And btw that card you keep pulling is getting tedious. ;)

DoomUK said:

their style changed (evolved)

The choice argument for the "get with the times" mainstream hipsters. ;) Anyway, this was the point I find bullshit about in your original post. They watered down and simplified their sound to make it more accessible and started writing generic half assed melodies, and imitated what was popular at the time so that every fan who was circle jerking over the crappy "Slaughter of the Soul" (which slaughtered the soul of melodic death metal) at the time would buy into it. Sounds more like bending for the music industry than actually evolving to me. ;) You can go listen to your Swansong, play your brand new computer games and go watch MLP afterwards, I actually don't give a shit, because that's your taste. But I can't help but disagree when you say that they got better because they went from writing intense, over the top, distinct and great songs that had a very dark and cold atmosphere to imitating generic washed up shit that doesn't have substance.

DoomUK said:

And who could honestly give a shit about how many copies an album sells or doesn't sell.

I don't, I'm always happy to see a good band make it big while staying true to their sound and sticking to their guns, like Iron Maiden and Motorhead.

DeathevokatioN said:

I don't enjoy bands who write music to get popularity while bending for the mainstream industry, because said bands tend to make boring music. ;) If that makes me an elitest, then get over it. And btw that card you keep pulling is getting tedious. ;)

Or maybe they got sick and tired of playing straightforward death metal? Writing the same songs for years and years can get tiring. Unless you are saying that changing your sound at all is bad...which is completely retarded.

;)