Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Bruce Dickinson became 53 years old today!

Do you know what is worse than misclassifying a band? Trying to classify them in the first place. :P

I mean, seriously, metalheads seem to be the worst offenders - dividing up metal into smaller and smaller categories and sub-categories and then arguing endlessly over which band fits where (despite the fact that most bands easily straddle a number of these pointless categories).

Why not just listen to the music if you like it, and ignore it if you don't? Who gives a shit what someone might classify it as?

The same reason we classify anything: to identify them and to have a higher chance of finding something we like. You wouldn't walk blindfolded into a record store (assuming we're in an era where people still buy music) and just pick up a random record and buy it, just on the off chance you might like it. You'll have a better chance of knowing if you'll like it if you know a bit about it first.

Oh, I accept that some guidance is useful, even needed, but it's the endless arguments over sub categories of metal which, as I said, most bands fit across a few of anyway that seem so pointless.

(BTW, I do sometimes buy music like you suggest. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. ;) )

Enjay said:

I mean, seriously, metalheads seem to be the worst offenders - dividing up metal into smaller and smaller categories and sub-categories and then arguing endlessly over which band fits where (despite the fact that most bands easily straddle a number of these pointless categories).

That's actually quite helpful in determining what I do and don't want to listen to. The issue here is the people who insist that moving across genres means that the band has 'sold out' or whatever, case in point, Metallica starting with Load (or even Black according to some 'fans'). Load being my favorite album doesn't change the fact that Ride the Lightning is my second fav, but it seems to cause some ridiculous arguments among my buddies who can't grasp that it being the same band is more important to me than the albums being from different genres altogether.

FFS, the vocalist of my current fav metal band used to be a hip-hop artist for more than 10 years.

i bet boris is the only band that made both a drone album and a j-pop album.

By the way, I wasn't talking about "hard rock" as it being "rock" and not "metal", hard rock was just something I wrote since "metal" is still a kind of "rock music", heavier, yeah, but still "rock" music in a way. One can also argue that Iron Maiden isn't "pure" metal, since it's also (as of late) progressive metal, and maybe even slightly power-metal. (I will get criticized for what I just wrote :P ) Also, few bands stay true to exactly one specific style.

Isn't it really more important if the music is good, why is it so important to categorize everything so carefully?

GoatLord said:

Probably because, like a lot of counter-culture music, heavy metal is grossly misunderstood. Any kind of music with screaming and distorted electric guitar often ends up being labeled as "metal," whether the music is metal-centric or not. Then you have a lot of older, traditional metal bands that are called "rock" or "hard rock" by people who simply do not know the difference between the two.

Being a tone-deaf philistine the first time I heard the power metal Edguy I thought "they sound just like Iron Maiden", but Iron Maiden are the classic heavy metal and not the more modern power metal so they can't possibly sound similar.

Even though they do.