Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > How did you get your Gamename? What is it?
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mirko
Warming Up

Me personally, I've never really had one, so I go by my middle name. I guess I just don't have a nickname or taken the time to think of a very cool name.

Last edited by Mirko on 09-20-11 at 07:56

Old Post 09-19-11 14:27 #
Mirko is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

My handle "Nomad" was inspired almost exclusively from This Song:

I've been fortunate enough to snag the nickname at many of the communities I frequent before anyone else could, however it's become pretty common the more populated sites. I started also using "TheDigitalNomad" which has it's own backstory I'm too lazy to type out, but long story short I've defined it as a synonym to the phrase "web surfer." When THAT is taken, I'll usually use something like "digital-nomad" or "dignomad"

Old Post 09-19-11 14:33 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

it's a long tale of street gangs and deceit and dinosaurs. here's the short version: http://i.imgur.com/0Ranh.gif

Old Post 09-19-11 14:49 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

Because back in the olden days of the interenet, there weren't 100 Mr. Ts per internet mile.

Old Post 09-19-11 15:18 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

I came up with it when I was around 5-8 years old. That is all.

I miss the days when googling for "Jodwin" only gave results related to me. :P

Old Post 09-19-11 15:40 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

<pedantry>Don't have an Xbox, so probably don't have a Gamertag either.</pedantry>

@Mirko - Here's an older thread or two on the topic you might enjoy reading.

Old Post 09-19-11 15:53 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

It seemed fractionally less retarded than "Doom1982" when I was trying to think of a username on the spur of the moment, so I went with it.

Old Post 09-19-11 15:57 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

GreyGhost said:
<pedantry>Don't have an Xbox, so probably don't have a Gamertag either.</pedantry>

You don't need one, it's enough to have an XBox Live account for Games for Windows-games. ;)

Old Post 09-19-11 16:09 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Last time, I said:
Back on AvP2 I went by Head Hunter (bit of a given there, really...)

Of course, I branched out into the wider world of the internet and such an unoriginal name was taken. So I thought Doom, though moons and... spelt it wrong. Hence Phobus.

I am now allegedly a member, which would imply I've been posting more than I thought. I'll get round to putting my avatar on here at some point, I'm sure.

And I also said:
This avatar was modified from the redone version of my original avatar. Wills did the remake, I added the border - but as the avatar was originally 64x64, I needed to trim it to get it on here. Hence removing the moon and most of the face.

However, since then I've become regulated. As a bit of additional interest I find Phobus tends to be taken these days, as does Phobos. I used to get round this by using Phoban, Phober, Phobot or Phobic but I decided standardising would be a good idea. So on YouTube I have one or two videos up as ZDPhobus... and XBox Live I'm on as CressyJ (I don't use gold so there's no point in adding me). I will one day get round to coming up with some sort of standard if I ever have to though.

Old Post 09-19-11 18:50 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Back in 9th grade, I had my name written on my notebook in caps. Being bored in the middle of health class, my friend scrawled a circle through the A, and thus the legend of Danarchy was born.

Recently, some faggot stole my name and became famous as an urban explorer, so I'm a bit annoyed. I considered changing my handle, but I've been using it for well over a decade, so I don't think so.

Jodwin said:
I miss the days when googling for "Jodwin" only gave results related to me. :P

I know that feel, bro. I know that feel.

Old Post 09-19-11 19:25 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HWGuy

I am Heavy Weapons Guy, and THIS is a dead horse being beaten. :p

This is the only place where I use this handle. When I signed up I used the HWGuy in TFC a lot and it didn't hurt to have the HWGuy as a default avatar. Since then I favor being the Soldier.

I think I've been going as Chow Yun Thin for about seven years now. I got the name from a mission in the first GTA where you're told to kill a bunch of triads. To assist you in this task, an NPC with this name follows you around and so I took the name.

Old Post 09-19-11 19:46 #
HWGuy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

HWGuy said:
I think I've been going as Chow Yun Thin for about seven years now. I got the name from a mission in the first GTA where you're told to kill a bunch of triads. To assist you in this task, an NPC with this name follows you around and so I took the name.

Which is clearly a bit of wordplay on Chow Yun Fat.

Old Post 09-19-11 19:48 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

1337 jario

... duh

Old Post 09-19-11 19:55 #
j4rio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Supreme Gentleman

It's a mispronunciation of "Cooperstown" which was a nickname someone tried to give me in elementary school. The mistake stuck instead.

Old Post 09-19-11 20:06 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HWGuy

Danarchy said:

Which is clearly a bit of wordplay on Chow Yun Fat.

I thought it was clever and memorable, or at least more original than using AlTeRnAtInG cApS or adding Solid Snake or a bunch of numbers or Xs to a name. The numbers and Solid Snake I get, but I don't understand what's up with the Xs.

Old Post 09-19-11 20:25 #
HWGuy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
I'myourtarget

I got mine (I'myourtarget) from an old Timesplitters Future Perfect video on Youtube over 5 years ago. I don't think that video's around anymore, actually...

Oh, it's not a Gamertag like on XBox live or anything, I don't have an XBox, but I just mean my username on most other games.

Old Post 09-19-11 22:04 #
I'myourtarget is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

I thought I came up with valkiriforce with the intentional wrong spelling of "Valkyrie" to add some flavor to it's use as a username. Come to find out I remembered hearing that somewhere...

Old Post 09-19-11 22:39 #
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Alfonzo
Broadcaster

Dominus vobiscum, et cum spiritu tuo.

Old Post 09-19-11 22:45 #
Alfonzo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

I was tired of using my band name (partition36) for my handle, and needed a change elsewhere. So a contraction of Yuki because it's a nice girl name that I like that means snow (which I also like), and b1t/bit to show I'm a computer geek.

Old Post 09-20-11 01:16 #
yukib1t is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeumReaper

It's supposed to be Doom, but I changed it to Deum to make it original.
Reaper is from the Doom movie (Karl Urban's codename).

Old Post 09-20-11 01:57 #
DeumReaper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SeanWJF

My gamertag is sean wjf

it is my name followed by my initials.
my name is Seán William Joseph 'O Flaherty.

Old Post 09-20-11 02:11 #
SeanWJF is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
exp(x)

Apparently I like math or something.

Old Post 09-20-11 02:15 #
exp(x) is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

It's the name of an improvisational piece by French band Magma, aka "La Musique des Spheres". Its enigmatic name fascinated me for awhile til I discovered a probably explanation related to chord names.

Old Post 09-20-11 03:12 #
kmxexii is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

I was lupinx when I joined in 2003.
I was lupinx_resurrected shortly after.
Hiatus.
I am lupinx-Kassman now.

Old Post 09-20-11 03:36 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoOmEr4LiFe
DoOm TiL dEaTh

I intend on playing Doom until the very end. It is that simple.

Old Post 09-20-11 04:46 #
DoOmEr4LiFe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Planky

My Lord and Saviour assigned it to me in ye old days of the interwebs.

Old Post 09-20-11 05:19 #
Planky is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Du Mhan Yhu

For years I've always used some variation of skaman. It's due to one of my favorite bands (Operation Ivy) the skaman was also my first tattoo.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums...an86/Skaman.jpg

Old Post 09-20-11 05:27 #
Du Mhan Yhu is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grain of Salt
Forum Regular

Last edited by Grain of Salt on 06-01-12 at 16:00

Old Post 09-20-11 06:44 #
Grain of Salt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

So we're calling them "gamertags" now?

Old Post 09-20-11 07:14 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mirko
Warming Up

EarthQuake said:
So we're calling them "gamertags" now?

Well I'm not sure what the proper term is, gamer name, gaming nickname?

Old Post 09-20-11 07:41 #
Mirko is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote