Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Craigs

Say that to my face not online motherfucker see what happens

What the fuck is wrong with that middle aged guy? It's just some snotty kid on a game, I mean why go over to his house and shake him for that? It seems like their ages should be reversed.

I've met some smart-mouthed kids on multi-player. I don't condone taking shit so seriously, but I can't help but feel a little street justice was served.

If parents would just do this to their own kids for being an insatiable smartass, then we wouldn't have all these micspamming 13-year-olds in the first place. Just sayin'.

The details aren't quite so fleshed out here. I'd be interested in knowing what the chatter between them was and what particularly set the older guy off. Aside from the older party apparently having mental issues there had to have been something severe to set him off. I would never condone anything of the sort, but I want to know more about what was transmitted between the two before this event occurred.

I think I'll stick to Bubble Bobble. At most you could end up yelling/elbowing at the bastard 2nd player or get yelled/elbowed by from the "underdog" 1st player next to you ;-)

I'm sure if he intended to do the boy serious harm, he would have. The cocky, annoying little shit could probably get worse from some other kid at school for saying the wrong thing to them. Of course it wouldn't be Mummy's Little Angel's fault, would it?

Look it was childish and disproportionate and I don't condone the idea of a grown adult almost throttling a 13-year-old, and I'm glad no serious harm was done unto the young boy. But like Kirby said we don't know exactly what words were exchanged. Maybe he pushed it too far and then suffered the consequences of antagonizing someone who's mentally unstable who happened to know where he lived.

Kirby said:

The details aren't quite so fleshed out here. I'd be interested in knowing what the chatter between them was and what particularly set the older guy off.

The kid got a very tough lesson on how in Real Life you can't get away with "pissing on the loser's grave" unless you have the real muscle/army to back your arrogance up.

Unless your "victim" is very blase/has developed a very thick skin, the usual snarky "ZOMG PWNZR3D J00 N00B SCRUB L0L" tirade would normally be enough to get you severely stomped or even knifed/killed in real life simply as a "don't fuck with me" reaction.

Think about it, if you were playing something like e.g. pool in a pub and the "winner" started taunting or insulting you whenever he pocketed a ball...he'd better be a 7-foot hulking pro-wrestler with a world championship belt in full-contact Thai Boxing who nobody would dare touch...well not unless it was in a dark back alley with a gun or a bottle/crowbar hit behind his back.

@DoomUK: you don't even need to be "mentally unstable": the average street guy, when wronged to his face before others will retaliate violently almost immediately even to pure verbal insults just in order not to lose face/appear cowardly to his peers.

Maes said:

The kid got a very tough lesson on how in Real Life you can't get away with "pissing on the loser's grave" unless you have the real muscle/army to back your arrogance up.

Unless your "victim" is very blase/has developed a very thick skin, the usual snarky "ZOMG PWNZR3D J00 N00B SCRUB L0L" tirade would normally be enough to get you severely stomped or even knifed/killed in real life simply as a "don't fuck with me" reaction.

Think about it, if you were playing something like e.g. pool in a pub and the "winner" started taunting or insulting you whenever he pocketed a ball...he'd better be a 7-foot hulking pro-wrestler with a world championship belt in full-contact Thai Boxing who nobody would dare touch...well not unless it was in a dark back alley with a gun or a bottle/crowbar hit behind his back.

Kind of what I was trying to get at before. Not that I condone pub fights over a game of pool, either.

Maes said:

No. I'd just consider him immature and move on.

printz said:

No. I'd just consider him immature and move on.

Yes, but imagine you're someone with a violent and irrational temperament whose only known way of settling a dispute is to break someone's jaw. People like this lack a certain stability or intelligence that's required to formulate a sensible, reasoned argument so they snap out at you with their pincers when you antagonize them (or just annoy them or knock over their beer).

If you play with fire, you get burned.

DoomUK said:

Yes, but imagine you're someone with a violent and irrational temperament whose only known way of settling a dispute is to break someone's jaw.

Unfortunately, this mentality permeates much of the "working class" (rather, the lumpen) culture all over the world, and AFAIK the UK is one of the worst, in this respect.

In any case, given the chance, your average guido/coatto/thug/ned/chav/blue collar/working class yob, rather than doing an introspective sociological analysis of the situation before acting, they'll push their "opponent" and throw a punch ASAP, just so they don't miss their chance to do so later.

And it ought to be noted that the Daily Mail is not the most rational of newspapers when it comes to videogames. They once got a several-pages article out of one of their journalists running round Game on his lunch break and reading the back of a few boxes. Also they decreed that "the original version of Doom 3" was responsible for Columbine.

I also sometimes get incredibly angry when playing online, but I channel my anger into hitting the table and then gently soothe my butthurt with some music.

Thirteen year olds shouldn't be playing CoD. And 46 year old farts with mental issues shouldn't be playing games either. So the mother should be punished for letting her 13 year old son play violent video games. Alright just kidding...sort of.

He should have taken the 40oz approach to online gaming: smash dat fuckin' controller and try to take a run for that punks' money.

I've met many 13 year olds in my day. Most of them have more than deserved some sort of misfortune for their actions. Think if a of how much better things would be if everyone had some sort of learning experience regarding the backfire of being an asshole.

I think the real problem here is games are still designed to transmit the speech of people who don't have deep, trustworthy telephone voices and a calming demeanor. The female equivalent probably doesn't have a deep voice, so there's a nice engineering challenge there. :p

Well, it boils down to what I always sustained: online gaming generated a vicious subculture of "stop having fun guys" who behave as if they belonged to some elite "league of winners" which entitles them to verbally assault and belittle everyone else (a "1337 pr0 zomg competitive players" vs "scrubs and noobs" mentality, if you prefer).

This usually works great...as long as you're online and thus safely out of range of a solid, hard punch to the face whenever you cross the line (and these guys DO cross it far too often).

Showing a similar amount of abrasiveness or zeal with a real game or sporting event will cause anything from others flatly refusing to play with you (unless you have such a good reputation that you can get away with "champion's caprice"), to a team-wide brawl, all the way up to a full disqualification for "unsportsmanlike conduct", if it's a regulated and federated event.

Agreed. It's funny how far it extends. My bro and I once started up a Sven Co-op server as something to do that evening. We were mostly just messing around and trying to glitch things because it plays better with more than two people and I utterly suck at every FPS newer than Doom. Along comes some bastard who joins our server and then tells us to stop fucking around. He didn't seem to believe we could do whatever we wanted on our own server!

You know, all of this could have been avoided just by MUTING the little prick. I can't stand having voice-chat enabled on COD. Too many people yelling, staying stupid shit, etc. It's fucking annoying.

See, I don't have a lot of faith in the whole "guy has mental issues" thing, largely because, as far as the news is concerned, everybody who (even potentially) handed out some violence is some kind of rapist-cannibal-Hitler with a psychopathic disorder.

Even if the guy did genuinely have mental issues, I still see no issue in somebody getting their arse handed to them in a non-lethal manner for being a mouthy prick.

Phobus said:

Even if the guy did genuinely have mental issues, I still see no issue in somebody getting their arse handed to them in a non-lethal manner for being a mouthy prick.

Isn't throttling/strangling a homicidal impulse though?

The asshole kept waving his pool que in my face! Gawdamn right I grabbed 'im!

Anyways, a kid needs to learn that there are consequences to his words and behaviour from his folks, not from some crazed lunatic from down the street. The crazed lunatic set a bad example for that kid, his own, and now he'll pay the consequences.

Proper course of action would have been for the man to approach the parents and let them know how obnoxious their child is acting online. There's not enough parenting these days and not enough communication between friends, family, and neighbors on what their children are doing. This is across all 'classes'.