Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

SOPA website protests

How do you feel about various websites blocking out their content today?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about various websites blocking out their content today?

• I think this is a great way to inform people.
    • I agree with the cause, but think this could have been handled better.
    • I dont support the anti-SOPA/PIPA cause.
    • Other

Convenience is key. There are libraries all over the world. But people still buy books. Because it's more convenient to own the book than to borrow from a library.

A lot of what is being done with media today is making it more convenient to reach. Like Spotify, Itunes and Netflix. It's not about not paying for things. It simply is convenience.

People who pirate games and stuff mostly do it because they don't desperately want to play this game, not enough to go out of their way to get a copy, pay shitloads of money for it and then enjoy a shitload of DRM.

Platforms like Steam and Gamersgate is a great way for game developers to reach their market. Because it's convenient for the buyers to get them. Now there are a number of problems with Steam that we don't really need to go into here. But it is a very successful platform for selling games.

What SOPA and PIPA is about isn't really about piracy though. it's about crushing all competition.

printz said:

1. Find a way to prove someone is distributing or downloading commercial material for free.
2. Destroy them (fine them, sue them, prosecute them).

Recently, a tool was used to publish the IP addresses of computers who were used to illegally download stuff from P2P networks. Among the culprits were the RIAA, the US Congress, Sony, FOX, and others. I'd therefore punish piracy by dismantling the RIAA, breaking down Sony and FOX, and organizing elections to replace all current congresspersons, who'd be barred from candidating for reelection.

By the way, that site tells me:

Hi. We have no records on you.

This means you are using a private torrent tracker or, of course, you may not be a torrent user at all! It happens. Please, entertain yourself. Feel free to see what other people have downloaded. The search box is on the top. If you have any friends who use torrents, use it to scare them off. We also have a widget that you can install in your website, blog or Facebook page. Or you can just send them a link to this site. They will see a table similar to what you see below. The only difference — they will see their downloads.

Well, you are in the clear. But look what others do

Gez said:

Recently, a tool was used to publish the IP addresses of computers who were used to illegally download stuff from P2P networks. Among the culprits were the RIAA, the US Congress, Sony, FOX, and others. I'd therefore punish piracy by dismantling the RIAA, breaking down Sony and FOX, and organizing elections to replace all current congresspersons, who'd be barred from candidating for reelection.

The point was that you can disable pretty much anything (such as software piracy) by scaring/discouraging them off. But it's not always practical or easy.

I think Google handled it the best because you could still do everything without completely disabling their website. I really think people are fearing the SOPA boogie man too much. This will go before congress and they'll say this is America, not China. Then it'll get shot down with that line.

geo said:

This will go before congress and they'll say this is America, not China. Then it'll get shot down with that line.

SOPA is peanuts compared to the liberties violated this past decade by congress.

In Greek, "sopa" (σώπα) means "Shut up", "You're kidding me", "Don't tell me", "no way" etc.

And "pipa" (πίπα) means (smoking) pipe, but also a blowjob ;-)

Technician said:

The scary part about all this. America has the power to bully companies that are not even American.

Well, they always had the power to bully other countries and meddle in their internal affairs in general, so what's so special about that? I really wonder if they'd pull stunts like that if an USSR-like opposing superpower (one without economic ties to them, unlike China) still existed.

Maes said:

Well, they always had the power to bully other countries and meddle in their internal affairs in general...

They pressured Spain into passing a SOPA-like law not too long ago.

geo said:

Then it'll get shot down with that line.

Nah, you'll probably get shot down with bullets.

Since America is pretty much openly policing the planet (not just third world shit-holes), would it be fair for other countries to demand the right to vote for the next president?

Fuck, not just president, we need congressmen and senators too. That way each time we want to go to a website and we're told instead to write our US reps, we can!

Gez said:

Fuck, not just president, we need congressmen and senators too. That way each time we want to go to a website and we're told instead to write our US reps, we can!

Am I the only one that sent it with a US zipcode despite not being from the US? Think I used 20222, which (I'm reliably informed by the internet) is the zipcode for the US Treasury. :D

//EDIT: Take your pick and send off a protest email:
http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/zip_codes/DC.htm

40oz said:

To raise awareness about animal cruelty, we're going to-- you guessed it, dress 40oz in a fursuit and beat the shit out of him!

FTFY

Damn - thread was pruned while I was typing a reply to scalliano. Have the Feds struck?

kristus said:

People who pirate games and stuff mostly do it because they don't desperately want to play this game, not enough to go out of their way to get a copy, pay shitloads of money for it and then enjoy a shitload of DRM.

Not sure if I can agree with this. I mean, I don't mind paying for games, but I desperately wanted CS, and I sure as hell didn't acquire it through legal means. It's $2600.

GoatLord said:

Not sure if I can agree with this. I mean, I don't mind paying for games, but I desperately wanted CS, and I sure as hell didn't acquire it through legal means. It's $2600.

What game?

I just had a thought.

What would South Park say about SOPA and PIPA?

HavoX said:

I just had a thought.

SOuth PArk?

Seeker_of_Truth said:

I did see this earlier elsewhere, but it's unlikely this is the end. It'll be back with a new name and some cosmetic differences once all the fuss has died down.

"Postponed indefinitely" just means it will happen at an unspecified time. Stay vigilant.

DooMAD said:

I did see this earlier elsewhere, but it's unlikely this is the end. It'll be back with a new name and some cosmetic differences once all the fuss has died down.

It'll probably come back with different and more vague wording as well.

Probably a more vague title as well (if that's even possible). Until I can wipe my ass with the original piece of paper that this bill was written on, light on fire, and shoot the ashes into space, I wont' be convinced that it's 100% dead.

Then again, I don't want to deal with that wicked paper cut.

A senator has written back.

Thank you for contacting me about legislation to address online piracy. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue, and I want you to know that I am opposed to the current legislation.

The global reach of the Internet has provided Americans with dramatic opportunities to access and share information. It has also created new challenges for managing intellectual property rights. Piracy of content and sales of counterfeit products cost millions of dollars in economic harm to U.S. companies and consumers. The U.S. Department of Justice has been aggressive in targeting domestic infringement, but current law does not provide a means to target foreign "rogue" websites, which sell products and content to U.S. consumers that infringe U.S. intellectual property rights.

There are currently two bills in Congress that attempt to address online piracy enforcement. In the Senate, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) introduced the PROTECT IP Act (S. 968) and in the House of Representatives, Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) introduced the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA, H.R. 3261). Both bills raise serious concerns about unintended consequences for the Internet because they require Internet service providers, financial transaction providers, internet advertising services, and search providers to prevent or impede access to infringing websites accessed by users in the United States.

Many stakeholders have expressed concerns about PIPA and SOPA and how best to curtail Internet piracy. On January 20, 2012, Senate leaders announced that a vote on PIPA had been postponed. I am hopeful that given additional time, we can reach a solution that better protects intellectual property rights without fundamentally changing the Internet. I will continue to encourage both sides of this issue to reach a compromise.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For further information or to sign up for my newsletter please visit my website at http://warner.senate.gov .

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator

HavoX said:

I just had a thought.

S(OPA)outh P(IPA)ark?

Gez said:

Recently, a tool was used to publish the IP addresses of computers who were used to illegally download stuff from P2P networks. Among the culprits were the RIAA, the US Congress, Sony, FOX, and others.

In order to find out if your stuff has been pirated, you need to look on piracy websites.

kristus said:

Nah, you'll probably get shot down with bullets.

... better start looking over my shoulder. Gonna shoot the step son of a known politician.

lol don't investigate our websites investigate the man who wants our websites investigated. Trial by the public.