Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creaphis

Let's talk about rape

Use3D said:

I know this is a parallel to that terrible blog by that insane person, but I'm kinda bothered by rape jokes and rape in general becoming more mainstream in our culture.

I don't know what bothers me more: what you said, or the fact that complaining about rape jokes makes me a "feminist".

Maes said:

On the converse, In Italy, 1999 there had been an infamous case where an (alleged) rapist was acquitted on the grounds that "the victim was wearing jeans", which were seen as NOT inviting or facilitating rape, therefore the victim must have been consenting.

Women in jeans 'cannot be raped'

Stupid shit like this always seems to come from Italy. I just don't get that country. Somebody needs to rip the pants off that judge in a public forum methinks.

I'm not sure if attire has anything to do with rape or not, I've never looked it up, but it seems like if these crimes are a real possibility in your area, you should do everything you can to protect yourself from them. That includes dressing casually when possible, staying in well-lit areas, etc. (basically not drawing attention to yourself). I'm not saying it's the victims fault, they weren't the ones who committed the crime, but taking steps to prevent it (even if there is no considerable proof, as it can't hurt) seems reasonable.

So, basically, echoing what others have already said.

Vordakk said:

You do know that there are traditional, non-racist skinheads as well as S.H.A.R.P.s and they are hard to tell apart from Nazi skins? Unless you see them brandishing swazis, totenkopfs, or 88 patches, you can't jump to conclusions.

Ofc I know about S.H.A.R.P.s (hell, they even are mentioned in right-wing skinhead songs ;-) but I don't really think the niggaz in da getto would say "Gentlemen, let's not act impulsively! We need to do a careful, pondered analysis here before jumping to conclusions! Is that guy a S.H.A.R.P. or a racist skinhead? Let's discuss."

Maybe -and that's a big maybe- if the "ghetto" in question was some affluent, upper-class black neighborhood inhabited by people of the caliber of Tiger Woods, Condoleeza Rice etc. Then -and only- then, and if someone happened to be a part of la creme de la creme de la creme of the avant-gard black intellectual salon elite, would this dilemma cross his mind ;-) The other higher-ups would simply call the cops.

In a typical black ghetto however, you wouldn't have the luxury or benefit of such a doubt: someone would say "let's kill da punk-ass bitch muddafuccah!" the very moment they'd see a white guy with a shaved head and vaguely "skin" attire.

I would imagine that opportunity would be a far greater factor in how a rapist chooses a victim than the outfit. I mean, surely the primary aspect the rapist would be thinking about would be the ease of committing the crime and getting away with it. Even if there were two potential targets and all other things were equal, I just can't imagine someone with such a twisted mindset would be thinking about something as trivial as the outfit the woman was wearing.

I think the outfit issue is much more about how women are judged after a rape has occurred. Many people want to believe in a just world, they want to believe that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people, and so when something bad happens to a good person, they look for a way to rationalize that within the context of that worldview - they try to make an excuse and claim that, well if something bad happened, the person must have done something bad to deserve it.

I don't agree that a woman wearing provocative clothing makes her partially at fault for a rape.

I think what geo said makes the most sense to me. If a girl is wearing a slutty outfit with her ass hanging out and her tits about to bust of it's top, no doubt it's gonna incite some stares, sexual innuendos, whatever.

But for a dude to hold a girl down and fuck her against her will; that's a complete loss of self-control and I'm not convinced that any outfit is provocative enough to do that to someone.

Unless we're talking about statutory rape, that might be a different story.

Grain of Salt said:

Reading an Everything Else thread about anything except computer hardware is like watching one of those circus acts where clowns knock each other over.

Keep going, though. It's hilarious.

\

It was a WKUK reference. Dan got it, though. Thanks for playing.

And please do get over it. I'm sure you'd bust an artery in your head listening to 5 minutes of George Carlin.

This is for YOU, Grain of Salt.

Grain of Salt said:

A thrilling change of context, all the way from "telling a mindless joke" to "quoting a mindless joke". This certainly makes a fool of me.

that was a very poor retort. you certainly think you are better than these primitives with no morals and questionable hygiene, don't you?

Grain of Salt said:

George Carlin is boring.

Sorry, but that opinion is invalid.

--

Straight up violent rape (not getting girls drunk and having sex with them) is a crime of power, not sex. That's why human trash rape children and old women.

And clothes? Blah blah blah it's my RIGHT to wear a miniskirt and pretty much show my tits. Put some fucking clothes on woman. Get some class.

Maes said:

Ofc I know about S.H.A.R.P.s (hell, they even are mentioned in right-wing skinhead songs ;-) but I don't really think the niggaz in da getto would say "Gentlemen, let's not act impulsively! We need to do a careful, pondered analysis here before jumping to conclusions! Is that guy a S.H.A.R.P. or a racist skinhead? Let's discuss."

I really hate to see subcultures jacked-up by morons. That goes for marketing as well.

Grain of Salt said:

Reading an Everything Else thread about anything except computer hardware is like watching one of those circus acts where clowns knock each other over.

And yet, Doomworld has a more intelligent, educated and open-minded population than almost any other forum on the internet. Scary to think about, isn't it?

Thanks for the input, everybody.

Grain of Salt said:

Let me explain.

1. I thought Csonicgo's joke was feeble and generally incompetent.
2. He explained that it was a reference.
3. I still thought it was feeble and generally incompetent.

"My opinion is (faux) intellectually superior to yours, therefore I have the intellectual high ground!"

Anyway, George Carlin is awesome. He's my mom's favorite comedian, though I prefer more absurdist comedy.

Grain of Salt said:

Of the forums I visit regularly, Doomworld ranks comfortably last in those categories.

Yet, you post on here. What's the appeal?

And yet, Doomworld has a more intelligent, educated and open-minded population than almost any other forum on the internet. Scary to think about, isn't it?

On the specific aspects you mentioned, there are certainly worse forums out there than Doomworld, but there are also better ones. Every education-centered message board I've seen was full of positive and smart people.

It's easy to lock yourself up in certain fringes of the Internet and assume it is the norm. For example, there seems to be a considerable amount of Doomworlders who are 4chan lurkers. Myself, I've heard about that site for the first time here, still haven't visited it, and on most other forums I know most people are clueless about it.

I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, mind you. Perhaps it's just me being out of touch. I hope not. That would be scary indeed. :)

Edit: hmm. I see your point now. That makes sense.

Fair enough. Okay, how about this: Doomworld is open-minded, perhaps not in the way that "open-minded" is usually defined, but in a way that is useful for me. Link me to your smart forums and I'll start a thread in each one called "let's talk about rape" and we'll see how well that goes over.

Grain of Salt said:

I don't find anything funny about my post. At all.

Grain of Salt said:

It's more like "your opinions are laughable, so I'm laughing at you". I haven't made any argument: I've just laughed. And yet, a surprising number of people have attempted to refute my laughter. I won't ask how they imagined that would work.

Not so much scary as factually inaccurate. Of the forums I visit regularly, Doomworld ranks comfortably last in those categories.

Grain of Salt said:

I said Doomworld. EE happens to be nearby, and happens to host some impressive stupidity every now and then.

Oh, I get it. You have a superiority complex. I didn't realize you were so much better than the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure most people here would find my opinions on just about anything pretty damn stupid, yet I feel safe in saying I don't think even one Doomworlder out of two has a superiority complex.