Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Quake in high resolution.

Still brown :P

It won't change the levels much. The models will improve a bit, but you are still stuck with the low poly count which limits it.

The low resolution is Quake's charm. I don't care to see others interpretation of the monsters. After close to two decades, I'm pretty much set on how I've interpreted them.

It's pointless. There's no point in having additional pixels if the additional pixels aren't showing anything, well, additional. Almost everything that you needed to see in Quake 1 that was relevant to the gameplay was perfectly visible at 320x240.

High resolution textures and skins look really out of place on low poly models and environments.

Ah, Quake...

Maybe I should stop playing Doom altogether and try some of the more exotic Quake. Too much traditional good-humans-versus-evil-devil got boring. In Quake it really feels lonely, not like in Doom 2/Heretic/Hexen where you're still saving your people from doom. And I can even consider making all new monsters, seeing they're really simple models with but ONE sprite (skin). And they don't even have to be proportionally humanly correct -- see the Ogres.

Question: are the regular Knights humans? They surely look like they have human faces beneath those helmets.

AndrewB said:

It's pointless. There's no point in having additional pixels if the additional pixels aren't showing anything, well, additional. Almost everything that you needed to see in Quake 1 that was relevant to the gameplay was perfectly visible at 320x240.

Not necessarily. Playing at a higher resolution helps your distance vision immensely. Even with Quake's cramped maps, anything higher than 320x240 would be very noticeable.

I agree that games with low-res maps and primitive lighting look funny with hi-res models.

40oz said:

High resolution textures and skins look really out of place on low poly models and environments.

Fuck me... I agree with 40oz. I thought those screenshots in the OP looked pretty ugly, as the models and textures still didn't look much better than the sort of stuff I remember from UT2k4 or even AvP2. The very low detail (read: broad strokes) environments certainly don't help.

The death knights with the horns remind me of the mouth of Sauron, they might be some kind of human that is tormented and twisted to service Quake.

I like them too - I think they did a good job of working within the low-poly models' inherent limitations - but I don't use them when I play Quake owing to the fact I like the original, crusty skins better. There's something about pixelated, low-poly monsters... (see also: Silent Hill on PSX).

That high-res shotgun, however, is abominable. It's a shame the Quake community isn't as centralised as the Doom one, really, since there's one high-res weapons pack floating around out there that's quite tasteful, but I can't find it any more. Right now I'm using the Remake Quake angled weapons pack, which isn't too bad at all.

Screenshots are way too dark. From what I can make out I don't like those new skins.
The hi-res map textures (QRP) are a mixed bag, in my view. In general they are too clean, sometimes even comicy compared to the originals, and usually the rivets look silly. Still, there are some quite nice ones out there, e.g. Starbuck's 'Debaser' set for the base maps - sharper, hires, but faithful.

It's a matter of taste of course, and despite prefering the purist stance like most DW people I assume, even sometimes being baffled or annoyed at how extremely fugly people's HQ packs are (see YT), I consider it a good thing that the game allows for replacement material and people to give the old maps a new look to keep it fresh.

Question: are the regular Knights humans? They surely look like they have human faces beneath those helmets.

Yes, I think so. The hell knights, too. They serve as the classic medieval fantasy element.

To be honest, they look better than I expected. They seem pretty true to the appearance of the original monsters. That said, I personally still wouldn't bother.

I don't understand why people can get so worked up over mearly a texture mod, it's not as if you're being forced to use it.

40oz said:

Actually, I didn't realise they were using the same models. I assumed these were completely new.

It just looks really inconsistent. Have you ever played a Doom mod with soundfx replacements, but the sounds were of different frequencies? A really detailed starting room in a map, followed by really bare and basic hallways?
Or a deathmatch wad with new music where some of it is midi and others are MP3s?

High resolution textures doeesn't cooperate well with the rest of the game because all of the game's attributes are roughly on par with their quality. The high resolution textures and skins really throw off that balance.

Avoozl said:

I don't understand why people can get so worked up over mearly a texture mod, it's not as if you're being forced to use it.

The OP said "What do you think?"
We say what we think.
This is how message boards work. You'll get the hang of it.

The artwork is quality, but the hi-res skin over the original models emphasize the low poly count. The knight's arms look like rounded stumps.

printz said:

It was never explained what the enemy really was, but they certainly are humanoid in appearance. I like to think of them as an undead ancient race of humanoid beings.

Also, the pics don't look half-bad. Though, I prefer just stock textures and models. I do like DarkPlaces lighting and effects, though. Builds the atmosphere better imo (I jump at my own shadow sometimes!).

I play Quake with the super high texture quality replacements too. It does improve the game's atmosphere I think. Anybody that thinks Quake was "meant" to be played with low-quality textures is being silly; I'm sure all those old games (Doom included) would have such high texture resolutions if technical limitations didn't encourage low ones.

That being said, Doom is more sacred to me than other games. I don't mean it in a mystical sense, but no resource replacements intending to be high quality textures have ever felt right to me. I even install the 3D model replacements for Duke Nukem 3D, which are about on par with what Doom model replacements are, but I don't mind it so much on Duke.

PRIMEVAL said:

I like to think of them as an undead ancient race of humanoid beings.

I like to think of them as living, but brainwashed or something. The undead are the Zombies. Do you think the Knights look like medieval Quake-guys?

printz said:

Question: are the regular Knights humans?

I'm pretty sure they're possessed humans (just like the Grunts).