Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Quake in high resolution.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:44. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
neubejiita

Quake 1 in 2012. With high resolution texture pack and high resolution models & skins.

http://www.securitronlinux.com/files/dp000012.jpg

http://www.securitronlinux.com/files/dp000014.jpg

http://www.securitronlinux.com/files/dp000015.jpg

http://www.securitronlinux.com/files/dp000018.jpg

What do you think?

http://quakeone.com/reforged/textures.html

Old Post 02-08-12 03:20 #
neubejiita is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Planky

Still brown :P

It won't change the levels much. The models will improve a bit, but you are still stuck with the low poly count which limits it.

Old Post 02-08-12 03:24 #
Planky is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

I'm not sure, but I think the high resolution texture pack has been around a while. I used it with Darkplaces since at least a year ago.

Old Post 02-08-12 03:47 #
yukib1t is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

The low resolution is Quake's charm. I don't care to see others interpretation of the monsters. After close to two decades, I'm pretty much set on how I've interpreted them.

Old Post 02-08-12 04:00 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB
What's the worst that could happen? A girl is emotionally destroyed? I can live with that.

It's pointless. There's no point in having additional pixels if the additional pixels aren't showing anything, well, additional. Almost everything that you needed to see in Quake 1 that was relevant to the gameplay was perfectly visible at 320x240.

Old Post 02-08-12 04:04 #
AndrewB is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

What Technician said.

Old Post 02-08-12 04:23 #
Kirby is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rambosee
Rambodo

Kirby said:
What Technician said.

Old Post 02-08-12 04:31 #
Rambosee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

And I'll point to my previous statements about quick win HD versions :P

Old Post 02-08-12 07:14 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

High resolution textures and skins look really out of place on low poly models and environments.

Old Post 02-08-12 07:17 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Ah, Quake...

Maybe I should stop playing Doom altogether and try some of the more exotic Quake. Too much traditional good-humans-versus-evil-devil got boring. In Quake it really feels lonely, not like in Doom 2/Heretic/Hexen where you're still saving your people from doom. And I can even consider making all new monsters, seeing they're really simple models with but ONE sprite (skin). And they don't even have to be proportionally humanly correct -- see the Ogres.

Question: are the regular Knights humans? They surely look like they have human faces beneath those helmets.

Last edited by printz on 02-08-12 at 08:32

Old Post 02-08-12 08:26 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

AndrewB said:
It's pointless. There's no point in having additional pixels if the additional pixels aren't showing anything, well, additional. Almost everything that you needed to see in Quake 1 that was relevant to the gameplay was perfectly visible at 320x240.

Not necessarily. Playing at a higher resolution helps your distance vision immensely. Even with Quake's cramped maps, anything higher than 320x240 would be very noticeable.

I agree that games with low-res maps and primitive lighting look funny with hi-res models.

Old Post 02-08-12 09:36 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Stapler

40oz said:
High resolution textures and skins look really out of place on low poly models and environments.

Fuck me... I agree with 40oz. I thought those screenshots in the OP looked pretty ugly, as the models and textures still didn't look much better than the sort of stuff I remember from UT2k4 or even AvP2. The very low detail (read: broad strokes) environments certainly don't help.

Old Post 02-08-12 09:50 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
neubejiita

The death knights with the horns remind me of the mouth of Sauron, they might be some kind of human that is tormented and twisted to service Quake.

Old Post 02-08-12 10:26 #
neubejiita is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Doomworld members react in expected way.

I think these look nice.

Old Post 02-08-12 11:04 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lance MDR Rocket
Mini-Member

I like them too - I think they did a good job of working within the low-poly models' inherent limitations - but I don't use them when I play Quake owing to the fact I like the original, crusty skins better. There's something about pixelated, low-poly monsters... (see also: Silent Hill on PSX).

That high-res shotgun, however, is abominable. It's a shame the Quake community isn't as centralised as the Doom one, really, since there's one high-res weapons pack floating around out there that's quite tasteful, but I can't find it any more. Right now I'm using the Remake Quake angled weapons pack, which isn't too bad at all.

Old Post 02-08-12 11:18 #
Lance MDR Rocket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
negke

Screenshots are way too dark. From what I can make out I don't like those new skins.
The hi-res map textures (QRP) are a mixed bag, in my view. In general they are too clean, sometimes even comicy compared to the originals, and usually the rivets look silly. Still, there are some quite nice ones out there, e.g. Starbuck's 'Debaser' set for the base maps - sharper, hires, but faithful.

It's a matter of taste of course, and despite prefering the purist stance like most DW people I assume, even sometimes being baffled or annoyed at how extremely fugly people's HQ packs are (see YT), I consider it a good thing that the game allows for replacement material and people to give the old maps a new look to keep it fresh.

Question: are the regular Knights humans? They surely look like they have human faces beneath those helmets.
Yes, I think so. The hell knights, too. They serve as the classic medieval fantasy element.

Old Post 02-08-12 11:34 #
negke is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

To be honest, they look better than I expected. They seem pretty true to the appearance of the original monsters. That said, I personally still wouldn't bother.

Old Post 02-08-12 13:00 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Indecisive

I don't understand why people can get so worked up over mearly a texture mod, it's not as if you're being forced to use it.

Old Post 02-08-12 13:06 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

40oz said:

Old Post 02-08-12 14:52 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Actually, I didn't realise they were using the same models. I assumed these were completely new.

Old Post 02-08-12 15:08 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

It just looks really inconsistent. Have you ever played a Doom mod with soundfx replacements, but the sounds were of different frequencies? A really detailed starting room in a map, followed by really bare and basic hallways?
Or a deathmatch wad with new music where some of it is midi and others are MP3s?

High resolution textures doeesn't cooperate well with the rest of the game because all of the game's attributes are roughly on par with their quality. The high resolution textures and skins really throw off that balance.

Old Post 02-08-12 17:45 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Get Psyched!

Looks neat.

Old Post 02-08-12 17:46 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

Avoozl said:
I don't understand why people can get so worked up over mearly a texture mod, it's not as if you're being forced to use it.
The OP said "What do you think?"
We say what we think.
This is how message boards work. You'll get the hang of it.

Old Post 02-08-12 18:30 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ed

The artwork is quality, but the hi-res skin over the original models emphasize the low poly count. The knight's arms look like rounded stumps.

Old Post 02-08-12 19:13 #
Ed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

printz said:

It was never explained what the enemy really was, but they certainly are humanoid in appearance. I like to think of them as an undead ancient race of humanoid beings.

Also, the pics don't look half-bad. Though, I prefer just stock textures and models. I do like DarkPlaces lighting and effects, though. Builds the atmosphere better imo (I jump at my own shadow sometimes!).

Old Post 02-08-12 19:36 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

I play Quake with the super high texture quality replacements too. It does improve the game's atmosphere I think. Anybody that thinks Quake was "meant" to be played with low-quality textures is being silly; I'm sure all those old games (Doom included) would have such high texture resolutions if technical limitations didn't encourage low ones.

That being said, Doom is more sacred to me than other games. I don't mean it in a mystical sense, but no resource replacements intending to be high quality textures have ever felt right to me. I even install the 3D model replacements for Duke Nukem 3D, which are about on par with what Doom model replacements are, but I don't mind it so much on Duke.

Old Post 02-08-12 19:46 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
jute
My avatar grips his belt rather tightly.

There are some nice replacement enemy models, but no full set as far as I know: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mo...-axe-added.html

Old Post 02-08-12 20:42 #
jute is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

PRIMEVAL said:
I like to think of them as an undead ancient race of humanoid beings.
I like to think of them as living, but brainwashed or something. The undead are the Zombies. Do you think the Knights look like medieval Quake-guys?

Old Post 02-08-12 21:05 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HavoX

printz said:
Question: are the regular Knights humans?
I'm pretty sure they're possessed humans (just like the Grunts).

Old Post 02-08-12 21:06 #
HavoX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Stapler

jute said:
There are some nice replacement enemy models, but no full set as far as I know: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mo...-axe-added.html

See the pictures in the linked thread look much better, because the models match the resolution of the skins.

Old Post 02-08-12 21:07 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote