Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Diablo 3

Diablo 3 is fun and for that reason alone, I do like it. However, the question I asked myself after beating it on normal is if I believed it was (or would) be better than Torchlight, Torchlight II, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn combined, since you can buy all four of those for the same as a copy of Diablo 3 costs at the moment. Of course, the answer is "probably not," despite three of those games not being out yet.

The story is awful (and isn't coherent with the prior Diablo games), the DRM sucks, I have no idea why Blizzard allowed bidding in the AH considering after the bidding time expires, you'll likely have found an upgrade over the item you bidded on, MP is utterly pointless until you hit the harder difficulties (and even then, the benefit is debatable), the game is really short, so forth and so on.

Despite taking 12 years, the game kind of feels poorly thought out and dare I say even rushed...

DooM_RO said:

The DRM hasn't bothered me in SC2 and it does not bother me in D3.Besides the launch issues(which piss me off terribly) I really fail to see why this restriction bothers anyone(unless I'm missing something).IF you have a crappy internet connection, I can understand but I live in a developing country and the internet here is pretty stable and fast.I imagine it's even better in the US but I could be wrong.Why not look at the bright side of it and think of how this will prevent duping and cheating much more effectively than Diablo 2, which had a ton of security issues.

Because it's a single player game that requires an internet connection. You should *NOT* need a connection, to play by YOURSELF.

It pisses me off because I want to try this game. But I refuse to bend over and be fucked by Blizzard.

Gaming's gone to Hell, at least the games that I like, RAGE was the first real disappointing id title, Duke Nukem Forever was a belated lolcow of epic mediocrity, and Postal III was an indie game trying to be Hollywood and some people still don't know it came out.

Now comes UbiSoft's Diablo III much to the disappointment of offline single player gamers (contrary to popular belief we're not a dying breed but by popular demand we might as well be).

To me, its a dark, gory version of WoW. If there's ever an offline SP version made available (through any method possible) that is the only way I will ever attempt to give this game a chance. I'm not taking Blizzdick and attempt to play for an hour or two and possibly have fun just to get cut off from playing and be reminded why always-online DRM doesn't do jack shit except cripple the game.

DooM_RO said:

Why not look at the bright side of it and think of how this will prevent duping and cheating much more effectively than Diablo 2, which had a ton of security issues.

To play devils advocate, diablo 2 has single player, open bnet and closed bnet.

Hacking items and characters was rampant with single player and open bnet...but no one cares because it was single player and open bnet. It had NO effect on closed ladder and non-ladder play.

And even then, closed bnet, with log-in and server-side characters was a hotbed of maphack, pindle bots, meph bots, duped sojs, wf's, gf's and ith items for years. Honestly, aside from the weirdo open bnet pvpers, there was probably more legit play on open bnet than not.

The main point is..who gives a shit if joe nobody makes a character editor to make a godlike toon for his single player enjoyment? No one does, because it doesn't affect anyone else.

Lot's of people, yes even in 2012 do find themselves without a reliable internet connection from time to time, if they have one to begin with. If I pay $60 for a non-mmo, a game that can be played solo, then I want to play the game at my pleasure, not blizzards.

Diablo 3 has a lot going for it, but the lack of a single player mode is damning.

I'm going to be a moron and ask: why in the world do Doomers (who have Heretic, Hexen, especially with ZDoom, to satisfy their fantasy dreams) even need Diablo?

printz said:

I'm going to be a moron and ask: why in the world do Doomers (who have Heretic, Hexen, especially with ZDoom, to satisfy their fantasy dreams) even need Diablo?

Those are FPSes, not loot games. They fill different niches.

printz said:

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Sodaholic said:

Those are FPSes, not loot games. They fill different niches.

I play games for the challenge, not for hoarding. And in reflexes, dynamics and such, first-person has proven better than point-n-click.

printz said:

I play games for the challenge, not for hoarding. And in reflexes, dynamics and such, first-person has proven better than point-n-click.

When did anyone say anything about hoarding? All I'm saying is, they're totally different genres, they don't have even remotely the same gameplay.

Sodaholic said:

All I'm saying is, they're totally different genres, they don't have even remotely the same gameplay.

But you're fighting the demons.

Technician said:

But you're fighting the demons.

With completely different gameplay mechanisms, mind you. One focuses on simple action, the other focuses on inventory management and stats and crap.

Fun fact, Deckard Cain dies in diablo 3...Like really early in the game too.

If that doesn't ruin the franchise then the terrible voice acting won't. HA

printz said:

first-person has proven better than point-n-click.

So you prefer FPS, good for you! But making the assumption everyone else "FPS > everything else" is just silly. Although I am inwardly biased to FPS as my favorite genre of games, since I grew up with them and they're the easiest to get into for me, I just so happen to like other things as well and Diablo is one of them. Its actually the only RPG I have played (thus far), going to show its not my most played category but it has things that appeal to me, its easy to get into and its dark and violent.

I don't care for racing games, but Carmageddon puts a different spin on that with killing people and trashing other cars. So in the end I'm an action gamer. I'm close minded enough to know what I like but not so close minded that I won't step out of familiar territory. Otherwise I'll rob myself of some truly great game experiences.

Quast said:

Surprisingly, I never really cared about Cain.

Not all VA is horrible though. Cydaea is voiced by Claudia Black.Perfect choice.

Quast said:

Well if the barbarian is old, how fucking old is Cain? A million?

What barbarian?

Anyway, blizz killed off an iconic character. Why you ask? Not because he's 'old' but because blizz removed identify scrolls from the game and the need to id gear. Cain's primary job is now gone, so they said fuck him, and had him killed off.

It's lunacy.

In the original gameplay demo where the barbarian rescues Cain in a completely different scenario to what ended up in the game. He is indeed referred to by Cain as the same barbarian from D2. And if he would be he would have to be old since D1 and D2 was at least 20 years ago what with Leah having to have grown up and all in that time. Also for all that intertwining story with the skeleton king to even have time to happen.

Anyways. It's certainly not as good as D2. But it's not worse than D2 across the board. It's got some things that I think work better than D2. Also it is a game that me and my mates have been able to play together and that has been very rewarding to me. It's very rare that me and them can agree on any game. Usually they play shit like LOL while I play shit like Quake Live. And I hate LOL, would have liked to play BLC with them. But they don't like BLC.

The BS with having to be connected to a server even in SP is... well BS. Playing with lag even in SP games is crazy. Especially since the ping never seem to go below 150ms.

I really enjoy the new diablo game.
I played abit of diablo 2 ages ago and near when it came out aswell but this one is very fun. I only have a few level 10s (figuring out what class I should be to continue on) but I think they've done a really good job with the game.
I've only played it for about 5 hours since I've got the actual game but if I make it to about 50 hours game time played then it was worth my £27.
I know I'm likely going to go over that time as I find it quite addicting when I get on to play it.

lmao what a fucking mess this game is turning out to be. Yeah, I don't think I had to worry about dealing with THAT before on single player, you know, in an offline environment?

Do Diablo bots exist? Bots, as in computer-controlled players, not cheating programs. I'm interested in having a computer do the drudgery of level grinding and item collecting for me, so that I can do something else in the meantime, like reading a book. If lives are infinite, then all the better: the bot doesn't have to be great :D

printz said:

Do Diablo bots exist? Bots, as in computer-controlled players, not cheating programs. I'm interested in having a computer do the drudgery of level grinding and item collecting for me, so that I can do something else in the meantime, like reading a book. If lives are infinite, then all the better: the bot doesn't have to be great :D

I'm pretty sure you can hire a Chinese inmate to do that for you. Like you could do in pretty much any online game of this kind.

... What?

So what you're saying is, to have something else play the game, so you don't have to, but you're also not paying attention to it? Then why would you want to play it, oh wait you're not playing it, but neither are you watching it.

... My head is hurting.

In order to get the powerful items from high-level monsters. THEN, maybe, I'll be playing it myself.

Also, to amaze myself what the computer has been able to find. Probably 50% time spent by me, 50% left to someone/something else.

There were simple bots that existed for d2 closed bnet. Pindle bot was the most famous and common. There was a bit of a setup to get it working properly, but if you had a high level sorc or zon in act 5 hell, it would automatically create games, enter nihlathak's portal move 10 feet and kill pindleskin. It would collect any good items if they dropped, exit and create a new game over and over.

I don't remember exactly, but I do think there was a working mephisto running bot.

Beyond that they couldn't 'play' the game for you except killing a particular creature.

Sig-ma said:

Despite taking 12 years, the game kind of feels poorly thought out and dare I say even rushed...

I'll let you in on a little secret: they weren't working on it the whole time.

Technician said:

Blizzard is making owners pay for their desktop authenticators? Fuck off, really?

It's amazing really that after years of people getting their wow accounts hacked and then seeing the security that authenticators provided there, that they wouldn't force people to opt into using one for future games, even if they were free with the purchase...

Except people would bitch endlessly about it because they don't want to waste 5 more seconds to log in.

Seriously, blizz gave away thousands of free authenticators at blizzcons and people simply weren't registering them with their bnet accounts. Yet despite that, wow account hacking is almost nonexistant anymore because blizz and the entire community pushed hard for people to get one and use it.

Sig-ma said:

D3 took 11 years.