Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > How long does it take for new accounts to be approved here?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:19. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

So, I'm trying to get a friend of mine into Doom modding (so far I've shown him how to use Doom Builder), and I had him register an account here, but apparently new accounts have to be activated by an admin or something first. I looked at the FAQ to see if it says anything about this, but it doesn't. I've PM'd several moderators, only two of them replying saying that they can't do anything. I've also PM'd Bloodshedder, but he never responded, nor did anything.

How can I get my friend's account activated? Note that he already activated it by email, but we're still waiting for the account to be given permission to use the forum functions such as posting.

Old Post 07-09-12 00:11 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

Didn't know it had to be approved. But then again, it's been so long since I've joined, I don't remember much.

Old Post 07-09-12 00:14 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

PRIMEVAL said:
Didn't know it had to be approved. But then again, it's been so long since I've joined, I don't remember much.

I certainly don't remember having to do that 5 years ago when I registered here. Must've been recently added, I was a little confused when my friend told me he couldn't post and that it gave him a message saying that it needed to be approved by a staff member or something along those lines.

Old Post 07-09-12 00:18 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

Quick glance at top of main page...

"Welcome to our newest member, spugehty_n_miitbahlz"

Hmm.

Old Post 07-09-12 01:10 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

Phml said:
Quick glance at top of main page...

"Welcome to our newest member, spugehty_n_miitbahlz"

Hmm.

I have no idea who that is, but my friend's account is named "freder".

Old Post 07-09-12 01:49 #
Vordakk
Banned

Sodaholic said:
I had him register an account here, but apparently new accounts have to be activated by an admin or something first.

Were you physically with him when he registered an account? It sounds as though he made an error and the account request didn't go through properly. I mean, if "spugehty_n_miitbahlz" got his account approved, I'm sure the process is most likely automated.

Old Post 07-09-12 02:23 #
Vordakk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Vordakk said:

Were you physically with him when he registered an account? It sounds as though he made an error and the account request didn't go through properly. I mean, if "spugehty_n_miitbahlz" got his account approved, I'm sure the process is most likely automated.

I thought you were being sarcastic, until I clicked the homepage.

Shit.

Old Post 07-09-12 02:28 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

I registered not more than a month ago, I think, and I don't remember any real delay in getting started. Has your friend checked his spam filter?

Old Post 07-09-12 02:29 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

I was physically right there when he registered. I saw him pull up his email to click the activation link. When he did, it went to a page on the DW forums that said something like an admin would need to approve his account first or something. He can log in, but it won't let him post. Whenever he clicks on the activation link again, it tells him that his account is activated but that it's in the moderation queue.

It's been more than 24 hours since he registered and it's still not approved as far as I know. Here's his account for reference:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/members/freder/

Strangely, it says "registered just to make one post" as his status instead of "registered lurker", even though he still hasn't made any posts. Does this mean that he's been approved?

He's busy at the moment and cannot be contacted, I might be able to contact him in a half an hour or so from now to have him see if he can post anything.

Old Post 07-09-12 02:40 #
Lüt
Administrator

He was in the "probation" group, along with the other user mentioned in this thread (the username displayed in the "newest member" header is the last registered username, not the last activated username). I set him to "registered" user, so he should be able to post now. I'm not exactly sure why the activation email put him in the moderation queue instead of immediately activating him, as nothing in his email address should have set off our email ban filters... at least, not in accord with any email bans that we've manually entered. But, having "spamer" as part of your email will likely set you up for at least a few Scunthorpe problems.

Old Post 07-09-12 02:48 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

Scunthorpe? That's clbuttic!

Old Post 07-09-12 02:49 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

At least the approval process isn't like that of the 3d realms forums, I registered to that site last year and they still haven't approved my account since and apparently they have a list of how many unconfirmed accounts there is which is quite large.

Old Post 07-09-12 03:09 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Sodaholic said:
So, I'm trying to get a friend of mine into Doom modding . . . and I had him register an account here
You can't fool me, it's a sockpuppet account! :P

Old Post 07-09-12 03:17 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

GreyGhost said:
Make one drink a glass of water while the other one is speedmapping - gogogo!

Looking forward to seeing another new face around here. Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised at how tolerant (not to mention understanding) of noobs this community is.

Old Post 07-09-12 03:23 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

GreyGhost said:

Believe me, we're not the same people. :P I have a feeling you guys are probably gonna like him more than me, since he actually has self restraint, isn't obnoxious, and is very mature (all qualities unlike me :P).

Old Post 07-09-12 03:28 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Sodaholic said:

Believe me, we're not the same people. :P I have a feeling you guys are probably gonna like him more than me, since he actually has self restraint, isn't obnoxious, and is very mature (all qualities unlike me :P).

How is this person friends with you? Something's not adding up. :P

Old Post 07-09-12 03:45 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Opposites attract ;)

Old Post 07-09-12 07:20 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Mr. T said:
Scunthorpe? That's clbuttic!

Filters like that should be buttbuttinated.

Old Post 07-09-12 17:15 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

schwerpunk said:
Make one drink a glass of water while the other one is speedmapping - gogogo!

Looking forward to seeing another new face around here. Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised at how tolerant (not to mention understanding) of noobs this community is.

When they are well-behaved, mostly sane, and display an IQ above that of a chimp. Otherwise extensive ridicule and/or losering are often in their immediate future.

Old Post 07-09-12 17:40 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Sodaholic said:

You could have just said that your friends aren't that bad, seriously.

Old Post 07-09-12 18:11 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

I've been waiting for an activation email from Romero's website for several years now.

As far as Scunthorpe problems go, the worst one around here is when you post a link that happens to have XD in it.

Old Post 07-09-12 22:42 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

Did your friend buy Doom on Steam and thought it was all retarded?

Old Post 07-10-12 03:40 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
xxbio Warfare11

Took me like an hour or so

Old Post 07-12-12 22:24 #
xxbio Warfare11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

The approval system was recently added, I'd guess, because of some ban-evading guy with a horrible mod who kept re-regging accounts with a proxy and reposting the same shite over and over. He's been banned upwards of twenty times, I think, which is a figure I just pulled out of my ass yet sounds not only plausible but seems like a really low figure. :P

SPECULATION POST-DISCLAIMER

Old Post 07-12-12 23:44 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Can Plut's account be activated already pls? He registered like three weeks ago.

Old Post 10-05-12 12:50 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bloodshedder
Spellchecker

He's in "Users awaiting e-mail confirmation", so either he never clicked the link in the e-mail he got or he put his address in wrong.

Old Post 10-05-12 19:32 #
Bloodshedder is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote