Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Black Mesa vs Half-Life 3: Which will be released first? (BM Discussion)(BM DurrHurr)
Well?
Black Mesa
Half-Life 3
Impse 3D
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Krispy

Is it the button that I'm aiming at in this pic? 'Cuz it's not doing anything.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums...134/buttons.jpg

edit: NVM I see what you mean. No, that's not where I'm stuck. It's right after.
edit:
Spoiler:
Ha, there were these three tumblers I was avoiding. Gotta go past them.

Last edited by Krispy on 09-16-12 at 02:17

Old Post 09-16-12 01:38 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

weelp I guess theres no need for a poll now

Old Post 09-16-12 03:17 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Platinum Shell said:
weelp I guess theres no need for a poll now

Hey now, Impse 3D or HL3 might still get finished before Xen does. I think that'd still count.

Old Post 09-16-12 03:23 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Khorus
Strife!

I'm not enjoying this too much. Just finished "Questionable Ethics". I'm playing on hard yet the game is easy and boring, with sole exception to the marines and their superhuman reflexes. The game has a penchant for throwing 10 of them at you from time to time and it's frustrating as fuck, and not at all an interesting challenge as it's all hitscan damage. They've done a good job expanding the architecture of the level designs, but it hasn't been lending itself to good gameplay.

Old Post 09-16-12 04:56 #
Khorus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

The marines are significantly more difficult than the original game and it's annoying... I haven't yet, but I'm tempted to god-mode my way through some of the tougher marine sections to avoid a constant death+reload.

Old Post 09-16-12 05:04 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

I'll confess, I *briefly* turned god mode on to get past a particular marine encounter. Can't recall exactly where it was. And I'm only playing on medium difficulty.

I agree that they're a little overpowered, as well as sounding stupid.

Old Post 09-16-12 08:41 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

This means you are all n00bs

Old Post 09-16-12 08:48 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Ralphis said:
This means you are all n00bs

No, but I readily admit that I suck at games despite having played them for over 20 years.

Old Post 09-16-12 08:51 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

Excessive difficulty is well within game design flaws.

Old Post 09-16-12 09:47 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

I'd be kidding if I said the marines don't give me any trouble, but I honestly think they're a bit dumber and easier in this than the original. The original marines were nuts; almost completely unpredictable, whinging grenades at you the entire time. These guys tend to stand around shooting from a distance a lot more, which leaves them completely vunerable to revolver headshots.

Last edited by Dragonsbrethren on 09-16-12 at 15:38

Old Post 09-16-12 11:39 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

I hope I am not the only one so far who is having buttloads of fun with the cheat codes :)

Also, the actual mod is great. In fact its hard to even call it a mod, its pretty much a free game seeing as it doesn't require Half-Life 2 in order to run.

Old Post 09-16-12 14:20 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooM_RO

I've been playing this for a while and it's a total BLAST!!! Questionable Ethics feels a LOT like Doom 3 and is indeed what D3 should have been like.

Old Post 09-16-12 15:59 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
LkMax

After playing the mod I really can't see how much people found Xen "out of place". Half-Life is a game with some boring puzzles and a bit of action sometimes. Also, I always hated "Blast Pit" and can't see how people say as if there wasn't a LOT of jump puzzles trough all the game.

I'm honestly not enjoying the mod that much. I don't know if it's because I've been playing too much Doom recently and can't stand the linearity and boring puzzles or if I only liked Half-Life because it was new at the time (and had good graphics and animations) or if the mod isn't that well executed an the original is better... or if I'm just in a bad mood today.

The expanded maps are ok though.

DooM_RO said:
I've been playing this for a while and it's a total BLAST!!! Questionable Ethics feels a LOT like Doom 3 and is indeed what D3 should have been like.

A game with absolutely no guns and cheap horror? AWESOME!!!

Last edited by LkMax on 09-16-12 at 16:22

Old Post 09-16-12 16:16 #
LkMax is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooM_RO

LkMax said:
After playing the mod I really can't see how much people found Xen "out of place". Half-Life is a game with some boring puzzles and a bit of action sometimes. Also, I always hated "Blast Pit" and can't see how people say as if there wasn't a LOT of jump puzzles trough all the game.

I'm honestly not enjoying the mod that much. I don't know if it's because I've been playing too much Doom recently and can't stand the linearity and boring puzzles or if I only liked Half-Life because it was new at the time (and had good graphics and animations) or if the mod isn't that well executed an the original is better... or if I'm just in a bad mood today.

I was talking about atmosphere and Doom 3 was a lot more than what you said, even if it wasn't quite good enough.

Old Post 09-16-12 17:26 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

LkMax said:

Why hello there Mr.Negative.

Old Post 09-16-12 18:33 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
LkMax

Platinum Shell said:

Why hello there Mr.Negative.

Hello but you made a mistake. I'm Mr.Realistic, Mr.Negative is actually my brother.

DooM_RO said:

I was talking about atmosphere and Doom 3 was a lot more than what you said, even if it wasn't quite good enough.

I was talking about Doom 3 IF it was like Unforseen Consequences. But the atmosphere isn't much different either.

Old Post 09-16-12 18:44 #
LkMax is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

Nope I'm pretty sure I got it right

Guess I'll check this mod out in a bit...coolant leak comes first.

Old Post 09-16-12 18:50 #
Aliotroph?
postCount++

I'm enjoying the marines immensely. The most aggravating enemies are the headcrabs so far.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the lack of attention to proper sound design and believability of certain parts of the world. Listen to the huge computers making floppy drive sounds. Then watch the tape drives. Yes, watch them. You'll want to kill someone when you see what's wrong with them. Then there are the ones that are broken, but are still making noises like they're moving. Gah!

Old Post 09-16-12 19:06 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooM_RO

HOLY SHIT! These new HECU soldiers are like shotgun guys with the HP of a pinky, they are seriously overpowered and the MP5 is a bit useless. Some balancing would be very welcome.

Old Post 09-16-12 19:18 #
LkMax

DooM_RO said:
HOLY SHIT! These new HECU soldiers are like shotgun guys with the HP of a pinky, they are seriously overpowered and the MP5 is a bit useless. Some balancing would be very welcome.

I agree it needs balancing but the MP5 was always kinda useless against marines, although they are even tougher now. Use the glock, it's more accurate at long distances on the game.

Old Post 09-16-12 19:53 #
Dragonsbrethren

The MP5 feels a lot more accurate than it used to be. I rarely used it in the original before getting grenades for it anyway, and then its primary was only there to finish off whatever the grenade didn't take out.

Old Post 09-16-12 19:59 #
DooM_RO

LkMax said:

I agree it needs balancing but the MP5 was always kinda useless against marines, although they are even tougher now. Use the glock, it's more accurate at long distances on the game.

Magnum and Xbow are boss against marines, shotguns too. Man, they aren't fucking around, when I'm fighting 4 or 5, it feels like I'm getting swarmed by CS bots. Killing soldiers with magnum reminds me of shooting authority marines in RAGE. It's VERY satisfying but not as much as in RAGE.

Old Post 09-16-12 20:04 #
Phml
Forum Staple

Three hours into it, having a blast with this mod... But then I hated the original Half-Life, so I don't know if that's a good thing. :)

I went in it thinking it'd be terrible, glad to be wrong. Indeed, there's definitely a strong Doom 3 vibe.

Old Post 09-16-12 23:48 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Finished it. I had some framerate issues in the final level but it wasn't so bad as to disrupt the enjoyment.

What a ride. I can see myself giving it a second playthrough soon.

Oh yeah:-
Spoiler:
The big teleporter that takes you to Xen seems to be bugged and the game doesn't "end" properly. I tried stepping into it three times and the game just hung. If and when the team get around to releasing the Xen chapter, I hope they fix it.

Old Post 09-17-12 08:43 #
LkMax

The game got better after Blast Pit (but it's still overrated). I specially like "Questionable Ethics" and it's experiments >:) *mad scientist vibe*
It's funny how I think I got used to the hard soldiers.

Old Post 09-17-12 13:15 #
Mogul

DoomUK: the thing you think might be bugged (spoilers) word for me correctly. Try long-jumping into it.

Old Post 09-17-12 15:03 #
Mogul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
spank
I'm afraid of Americans

Old Post 09-17-12 23:59 #
spank is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

In Half-Life I sometimes get stuck in a loop on the conveyor belts in Residue Processing. In Black Mesa I'm stuck in a loop on the conveyor belts in Residue Processing. Some things never change.

Old Post 09-18-12 00:11 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BloodyAcid

Can't really say that the poll was a failure ;)

Old Post 09-18-12 00:54 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Krispy

Aliotroph? said:
In Half-Life I sometimes get stuck in a loop on the conveyor belts in Residue Processing. In Black Mesa I'm stuck in a loop on the conveyor belts in Residue Processing. Some things never change.

Me too. Here's how to leave:
Spoiler:
There's a part where there are two parallel belts that lead into three or four grinders. Rather than drop down to the floor, you have to weave around them and keep following the conveyor. Hope this helps.

Old Post 09-18-12 01:55 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote