Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Innocence of Muslims

So, has anyone heard this? An semi-amateur film called the 'Innocence of Muslims' has, again, stirred up furry in the Muslim world to the point of riots, destruction, and murder. Ironically, said film was made to depict the violence of Muhammad and the Islamic world. And this riots also occurred on 9/11.

The Insulting, Anti-Muslim, Low-Budget Film That Provoked The Attacks On American Embassies

Israeli-born California real estate developer-turned-filmmaker Sam Bacile, 56, is currently in hiding after the protest of his low-budget film "Innocence of Muslims" caused the death of the American Ambassador to Libya and three others at the US consulate in Benghazi.

Bacile, who wrote and directed the controversial film, spoke to the AP by phone from an undisclosed location, calling Islam "a cancer" and saying he "intended his film to be a provocative political statement condemning the religion."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Bacile is "a California real estate developer who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew, [who] believes the movie will help his native land by exposing Islam's flaws to the world."

A search on IMDB shows Bacile has no other film credits to his name.

The low-budget, arguably poorly-edited and acted two-hour film that was shot in just three months during the summer of 2011 cost $5 million to make, required 59 actors and about 45 production crew members.

Bacile tells AP the film was financed with help from more than 100 Jewish donors.

The 13-minute English trailer on Youtube insults the prophet Muhammad, calling him a fraud and philanderer who approved of child sexual abuse and had "young girl" wives.

According to NBC's Richard Engel, the film was brought to light in Egypt by a religious cleric speaking on TV.

While Bacile expressed remorse to AP after the attacks, he doesn't think the deaths are is his fault, saying "I feel the security system (at the embassies) is no good ... America should do something to change it."

But while the 13-minute trailer has already led to four deaths, Bacile tells AP the film has only been shown once in its entirety to a mostly empty theater in Hollywood earlier this year.

Watch the controversial trailer below at your own risk:

USAmbassador To Libya And Three Others Killed In Attack On Consulate

The U.S. Consulate in Benghazi is seen in flames during a protest by an armed group said to have been protesting a film being produced in the United States September 11, 2012. REUTERS/Esam Al-Fetori

Chris Stevens, the US Ambassador to Libya, has been killed in an attack on the US consulate in Benghazi.

The US suffered attacks on its embassies in both Libya and Egypt yesterday amid protests over a film that was deemed offensive to Islam. The news was first broken by Al-Arabiya.

Reuters is reporting three 3 other deaths as well.

By all accounts, Ambassador spent his career as a devoted US foreign service officer, and was the US envoy to Libya's liberation movement during the conflict with Qaddafi.

This video from the State Department, introducing Stevens, is heartbreaking.

Here is Hilary's speach:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday called the film that helped provoke protestors to riot "disgusting and reprehensible."

"Let me state very clearly — and I hope it is obvious — The United States government had nothing to do with this video. We absolutely reject its content and message," Clinton said in a statement at a State Department.

Clinton said that the video's intended purpose seemed to be inciting violence.

"I know it's hard for some people to understand why the United States cannot or does not just prevent these kinds of reprehensible videos from ever seeing the light of day," Clinton said.

But she quickly added that the video was no excuse to incite violence, condemning the actions that led to the deaths of multiple Americans, including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya.

"There is no justification for responding to this video with violence," Clinton said. "We condemn the violence that has resulted in the strongest terms and we greatly appreciate that many Muslims in the US and around the world have spoken out on this issue."

And here law enforcement has found director of the film.

I'm updating this post as I gather more information.

This seems to be a deliberate act to stir up Islamic violence so that more military action will be necessary. Problem = Reaction = Solution = War.

neubejiita said:

This seems to be a deliberate act to stir up Islamic violence so that more military action will be necessary. Problem = Reaction = Solution = War.

They are far too easy to stir, though. Any hint of disrespect towards Islam gets them in a frothing fury, burning and bombing, issuing death threats and fatwas, filling streets with turban-wearing, bearded goons, their shouting faces distorted by violent hatred.

This always happen, regular as clockwork.

Maybe if they protested stuff that offends them in a more civil manner, there wouldn't be so many people thinking military intervention is the only way to deal with them.

Gez said:

They are far too easy to stir, though. Any hint of disrespect . . . gets them in a frothing fury, . . . issuing death threats . . . filling streets with . . . bearded goons, their shouting faces distorted by violent hatred.

This always happen, regular as clockwork.

Reminds me of a recent source port release thread.

If Muslims get butthurt merely at the existence of such a film, then it has amply proven its point.

My initial theory (because I only knew the Muslims were annoyed about A FILM, and that was it) was taking all factors into account.

Made by the US
Muslims are against it
September

I did think it was a documentary of sorts about 9/11 :/

Wow, they get really butthurt over a movie that makes fun of Islam and start baaaaaaawing and start fucking shit up, what else is new with them? Fucking nitwits need to get over it.

Sigh. Will the Muslim world ever grow up? Guess it will still take a long time until they finally stop wallowing in their deep-rooted hatred for the West, which is the underlying reason such violent outrages occur all the time, and overcome the apparent inferiority complex of theirs so as to be able to stand above petty insults or criticism of their religion. It's funny how easily they get riled up by things like this, while, at the same time, oppresive regimes and civil wars in their own or neighbouring countries don't seem to trigger any of such harsh responses. To be fair, though, the military interventions of the West did leave a more than fertile ground for resentment.

GreyGhost said:

Reminds me of a recent source port release thread.

How I missed that thread I don't even know... I wouldn't have said anything, granted, but still, tracking these live is just so much more entertaining.

As for the whole Muslim BS going on right now, it still doesn't match the Great Teddy Bear Controversy of 2007. Hell, it hardly even approaches that nonsense.

exp(x) said:

PROTIP: No Muhammad portrayals in that image.

Even a simple portrayal of Muhammad (let alone Allah) would be enough to send any devout Muslim into a murderous rage. And there are no "lite". "partial" or "casual" Muslims out there, bud. It's either the whole package or nothing.

Note: Jesus and Moses (among others) are considered prophets in Islam (just not as great as the last prophet of course, but prophets nonetheless) and as a result Muslims have been known to fly into a berserk rage for blasphemes against them, too.

Better still, being an Atheist of any sort is considered even worse than belonging to a rival (and obviously FUCKING WRONG) religion. The logic behind this is perverse: believing in another god is considered "salvageable". Not believing in anything creates such a dissonance, that it just flips the kill switch. It's like trying to divide Allah by zero.

The only way NOT to piss off a Muslim is to be a Muslim yourself. From then on, he can only be pissed at you for any reason OTHER than religion or islamic values. Unless you belong to a sect of Islam he doesn't particularly like....

Maes said:

The only way NOT to piss off a Muslim is to be a Muslim yourself. From then on, he can only be pissed at you for any reason OTHER than religion or islamic values. Unless you belong to a sect of Islam he doesn't particularly like....

Meh. Conversely, I - an atheist - don't like Muslims. I don't think I need to go into details why.

Sudan, Tunisia, Yemen have seen anti-American protests. In a few instances American businesses have been attacked also. In this video you can see a KFC and Hardees being attacked. Apparently a worker at the KFC was killed.

There also seems to be a strong al-Qaeda presence at these protests. Reporters from various international news agency's have reported protesters waving al-Quada flags and shouting slogans associated with the group.

Eris Falling said:

Meh. Conversely, I - an atheist - don't like Muslims. I don't think I need to go into details why.

Yeah, but thy don't-like-fu is weaker than theirs.

Oh my god there are like 10 posts on that video every second. Most of them look like this:

اشهد ان لا اله الا الله واشهد ان محمد رسول الله

Or this:

mohemed fucks pigs.

I have to say, the video is really poor quality and highly amateurish and it is hard to see the content as anything other than intentionally inflammatory. As such, I reckon the film maker has deliberately stirred up a hornets nest knowing the likely consequences and is therefore, in part at least, responsible for the consequences. I hope that he is comfortable with the deaths that have occurred.

One interesting thing, and I don't see it mentioned in any of the posts here, is that the video seems to have been made by deceiving the "actors". When I watched it, I noticed that every time the word Mohamed was mentioned, the lips didn't match the sound and sometimes the actor's voice changed significantly too. So, I did a bit of digging and, to the best of my googling ability, the actors were told that they were making a film called "Desert Warriors" about life in the desert around 2000 years ago. It has also been said that the lead character was called "George" or "Master George" in the script and that Mohamed and other overt Islamic references were not in the script at all and were not spoken by the actors. Going back to the video armed with this new information, lip-reading the actors they are clearly saying "George". This is very obvious at around 2:50 in the video where one character asks "what shall I call him?" and the audible reply (in a totally different voice to what the actor had used previously) is "His name is Mohamed". However, if you read the lips, the actor is clearly saying "His name is George".

So, as well as all the poor sods who have been beaten, terrified and murdered over this, I also feel sorry for the actors who are also obviously deep in the shit now and who didn't actually make the film as it was presented.

Wow, I didn't realize that $5 million was spent on that seeming joke. And they call it "low-budget."

People have questioned that figure. If it is genuine, it's hard to see where it was spent.

Enjay said:

People have questioned that figure. If it is genuine, it's hard to see where it was spent.

So the actors and everybody involved could afford plastic surgery and 24/7 security, for one.

I tried making people say puppy instead of fuck. Some people did...

Then I said something like this there:

I find it strange that the prophets in Islam all came from the same area. Also I find it a bit arrogant to claim to be the last prophet and everyone else after are false. I'm not sorry, but I can't believe anything that kind of person says.

Just as well, I could say that all posts after this post are lies. Could you really believe that?

fraggle said:

Having watched the film, it makes the protests seem even more bizarre and surreal. In terms of production values the whole film reminds me of Doom House 2000.

You've watched the full two hour film? It's on Youtube, somewhere, but I can't find it.

Enjay said:

One interesting thing, and I don't see it mentioned in any of the posts here, is that the video seems to have been made by deceiving the "actors". When I watched it, I noticed that every time the word Mohamed was mentioned, the lips didn't match the sound and sometimes the actor's voice changed significantly too. So, I did a bit of digging and, to the best of my googling ability, the actors were told that they were making a film called "Desert Warriors" about life in the desert around 2000 years ago.

That's much what I'd heard. Some post-production dubbing, change the title, sneak a chunk of it onto YouTube and sit back to watch the show. If US authorities can't lay serious charges against the movie's producer (who apparently was working under an assumed name and has probably breached the terms of his parole), I'd suggest pack him onto a flight back to Egypt and arrange for a brass band to greet him.

Krispy said:

Wow, I didn't realize that $5 million was spent on that seeming joke. And they call it "low-budget."

The figure I've heard in local news reports is $60k, Ed Wood (arguably the worlds cheapest B grade movie producer) would be proud of them.

Technician said:

You've watched the full two hour film? It's on Youtube, somewhere, but I can't find it.

Is this not the full movie then? It's only 15 minutes.

fraggle said:

Is this not the full movie then? It's only 15 minutes.

No, it's an actual full feature from what I gather. But I could be wrong.

EDIT: You know, it's funny. The first of the film starts with actual location shots but the scenes that could have easily been shot in the California desert were done on a sound stage.