Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > The End is Near! Apparently..
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

As well as being the 11th Anniversary of the September 11th Attacks, Tuesday also marked 100 days to go until the apparent apocalypse. And I'm..soo scared....but I can't say I've seen many Doomsayers (no pun) around. Infact, the only one I've seen was outside London Paddington station, who was shouting about everyone being punished and the end is near and all of that twaddle.
How many of you have seen these people about? And what do you think will happen on the 21st December?

My personal opinion: A minor earthquake in the pacific will provide a piss-poor attempt at a tsunami, and as a result, the people of Tuvalu will get a good chance to go surfing.

Old Post 09-14-12 17:47 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Eris Falling said:
what do you think will happen on the 21st December?

I expect a lot of butthurt 2012 believers. Not much else.

Old Post 09-14-12 17:53 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I'll probably get a serious flu and also my liver will collapse, causing me to change all my habits, as well as expose me to more diseases. Maybe it will happen in January while I cram for my exams.

Old Post 09-14-12 17:55 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quast
insert title here

Eris Falling said:

Winter solstice.

Old Post 09-14-12 18:01 #
Quast is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Khorus
Strife!

21/12/12? That's Numberwang!

Old Post 09-14-12 18:05 #
Khorus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foodles

Don't worry bro, they made an instructional video of what to do on 21st December

Old Post 09-14-12 18:06 #
Foodles is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

I'm gonna find some very tasty beer and laugh at the stupid people. :D

Old Post 09-14-12 18:09 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 09-14-12 18:10 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

Eris Falling said:
X-Day part two.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, forgot I wrote a song about this.

Old Post 09-14-12 18:12 #
yukib1t is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Jimmy91 said:
Ooh, you're also a poet :D

Old Post 09-14-12 18:31 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Eris Falling said:
The End is Near! Apparently..
Again?

Old Post 09-14-12 19:14 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Kristus said:
Again?

This one though is THE end, allegedly.
There have been all those wackos saying that the world is going to end over the years, but I am now referring to the so-called 2012 phenomenon

Old Post 09-14-12 19:17 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

Eris Falling said:
And what do you think will happen on the 21st December?

MY BIRTHDAY BITCHES!

Old Post 09-14-12 19:44 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Lag

Khorus said:
21/12/12? That's Numberwang!

YES! It's time for Wanger Num

Old Post 09-14-12 20:39 #
The Lag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

I'm going to laugh hard like I did with that Rapture nonsense.

Old Post 09-14-12 20:48 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Apocalypse a day after my birthday? Thanks rumors, I appreciate it. There was a an article in a wired magazine that gave like 5 reasons 2012 is fake.

Old Post 09-14-12 21:10 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

There can't be an apocalypse lol...

I WANT MY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Old Post 09-14-12 21:18 #
chopkinsca
Nothing

I don't believe the world will end. I am afraid of the people who DO believe it will end though.

Old Post 09-14-12 21:43 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

I'll crack open a bottle of La Fin du Monde. Unlike exp(x), I'm quite fond of Belgian beers (even the ones that come from Canada!).

Old Post 09-14-12 21:54 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiTROACTiVE
Forum Regular

I'm a little nervous about this "December 21, 2012 being the end of the world" conspiracy too but we can't be too sure if it will actually happen. Besides, most people don't believe it will be the day the world ends, so we shouldn't be too worried.

Old Post 09-14-12 21:55 #
NiTROACTiVE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

I think the Mayan calendar thingy changed last year. My brother's girlfriend was into that stuff and they were having some little celebration type of stuff the day it changed and the next week.

Old Post 09-14-12 22:43 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

I thought it was because the Mayan calender resets to their first one on that day. But what do I know?

Old Post 09-14-12 22:47 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

It's all bollocks if you ask me, and there's nothing to be worried about. Just wondering what everyone thought about it.

Asteroid Impact Theory: No known asteroids are coming even remotely close around that time.

Galactic Alignment Theory: The Sun and Saggitarius A* align, creating an apocalyptic gravitational effect on the earth. No...just no...The Sun is actually a relatively small star, and Saggitarius A*, while being a massive black hole, is sitting in the centre of the galaxy 30,000 light years away.

EDIT: @Jimi, yeah, it was worked out that the apocalypse, once you take into account newer calenders since the prediction, the actual date came out as sometime in July 2011. Earth looks fine to me.

Old Post 09-14-12 22:52 #
Quast
insert title here

Eris Falling said:
No...just no...The Sun is actually a relatively small star

No, it's actually not. Among main sequence stars, the sun is reasonably large and far larger and brighter than the vast majority of stars in general.

Old Post 09-14-12 23:27 #
Quast is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Don't forget though that there a very large number of stars out there which probably could have the effect I described (Such as VY Canis Majoris, which has a diameter of over 1 billion miles IIRC). Infact, if there would be any apocalypse, it would be due to gamma ray bursts shooting out of the resulting supernovŠ from those sort of stars. (VY Canis Majoris should be visible for 13 billion light years upon it's explosion)

Old Post 09-14-12 23:40 #
BloodyAcid

Weekeepeedeea to the rescue

Old Post 09-14-12 23:54 #
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

VY: 1420 solar radii

~500,000*~1500
That's still 750 million miles. I wasn't far off there.

Old Post 09-15-12 00:05 #
Jimi

I'm slightly worried about science magazines telling about some solar flares that could disrupt electrical equipment. Like could my computer burn.. lose all my data? Would it also affect usb memory sticks? Mmm.. perhaps I need to store my usb memory stick far away from the computer...

Old Post 09-15-12 00:45 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

What you need is a lead-lined chest to store your digital memories in, which should also provide some protection from EMP blasts. If you're a little paranoid, add a Faraday Cage for a second layer of protection.

Any clues as to how it all ends? I'm hoping it's demonic invasion since I'm sort of prepared to deal with that.

Old Post 09-15-12 02:08 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

There's those people who believe in luck of matching date numbers so they will obviously think 12/12/12 is a lucky day.

Old Post 09-15-12 02:47 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote