Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Netgear Routers

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Xenphire

With my Netgear router, when you block a website and someone tries to pull it up, the router puts up a black page with giant red text stating that said website has been blocked.

What I'd like to know, is if there is any way to make it so that the page comes up as a 404 or 504 error or something on the order of that, so it isn't blaringly obvious that the website is blocked and just looks like it's down on the website's end.

Anyone have any ideas?

If it helps, the Router firmware version is V1.1.2.2.

Old Post 09-21-12 01:12 #
Xenphire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Xenphire said:
Anyone have any ideas?
Stop visiting those sites?

What model is the router?

Old Post 09-21-12 05:05 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

GreyGhost said:
Stop visiting those sites?

I'm guessing he's trying to prevent children/friends from visiting sites he doesn't want them to at his house.

Old Post 09-21-12 05:24 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

When you can quickly check whether a website is down, is obfuscating the fact that you've blocked it even worth the "effort"?

Old Post 09-21-12 17:32 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Dishonest censorship isn't cool.

Old Post 09-21-12 19:40 #
Aliotroph? is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Super Jamie
Forum Staple

If your router uses a closed proprietary firmware image, it probably doesn't allow this.

You may be able to get the firmware download and look at it in a hex editor to modify the blocking page.

Alternately, get a good router that runs DD-WRT or Tomato or something like that. Hooray for open source.

Old Post 09-22-12 11:42 #
Super Jamie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fluffles

personally I think it would be best to just keep it the way it is, least then if a member says this website is blocked can i please have access just today then you can if they have a legit reason

Old Post 09-22-12 17:25 #
Fluffles is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

Why not just add those websites to the hosts file of the computers you'd like to block them on?

Old Post 09-22-12 18:15 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xenphire

DoomUK said:
When you can quickly check whether a website is down, is obfuscating the fact that you've blocked it even worth the "effort"?

Because he doesn't know about that web page, and isn't all that technologically savvy.

Aliotroph? said:
Dishonest censorship isn't cool.

I agree. Out of context it probably sounds like a dick move, and even with the context it still may. The fact is, it involves an addiction and a collective attempt at intervention.

Mr. T said:
Why not just add those websites to the hosts file of the computers you'd like to block them on?

Could you explain/elaborate on that?

Old Post 09-22-12 21:31 #
Xenphire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Catoptromancy
Forum Regular

This is a googlable question. Keep searching.

Old Post 09-22-12 23:30 #
Catoptromancy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Xenphire said:
Out of context it probably sounds like a dick move, and even with the context it still may. The fact is, it involves an addiction and a collective attempt at intervention.

Although I don't know what the exact circumstances surrounding this addiction are, from what you describe, the move sounds very justifiable.

Old Post 09-22-12 23:41 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

Xenphire said:

Could you explain/elaborate on that?

Add
code:
127.0.0.1 foo.com

To the hosts file on his computer.

Old Post 09-23-12 02:30 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

To be doubly safe, make that -
code:
127.0.0.1 foo.com 127.0.0.1 www.foo.com
- for each site you want to block. Unusual site prefixes like ww2 or ww3 should also be entered as you encounter them.

Old Post 09-23-12 03:12 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote