Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > X-Com Demo on Steam.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:31. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kristus
Megablast!

So they released a demo for the new X-Com on Steam. I haven't had time to play it yet. (will do tonight)

But from what I've seen of it it's of course more simplistic than X-Com and UFO Enemy Unknown was. But anyone got any opinions. Is Xenonauts going to be beating the franchise?

Old Post 09-26-12 06:53 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

I can't speak for X-Com specifically since I never really played it and haven't played the new demo either, but in regards to franchise re-boots like this, your enjoyment usually depends a lot on how you approach the games. For instance, I know that a lot of people absolutely hated Jagged Alliance: BiA since they were expecting to find JA2: More of the Same (which it never claimed to be). On the other hand, if you went into it without those expectations you'd most likely get a much more positive impression than you otherwise would have.

With that said, the people who are going into the new X-Com game expecting to find the same game they played ages ago will go on a rage-induced, puppy-murdering rampage on the game's forums while everyone else's reaction will be "oh, cool."

Old Post 09-26-12 07:20 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

I haven't played any of the X-Com series since UFO:Enemy Unknown on the Amiga, so I might give this a miss

Old Post 09-26-12 07:23 #
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaikoten

I played through the demo and it felt extremely on-rails and scripted. I prefer a bit more randomness in my games. This may have just been the nature of the demo, but I thought it was extremely short and didn't give me enough free time to go with the flow of the game to decide whether or not I liked it.

A friend of mine who is a games journalist has a review copy of the game and tells me it's very much a must play, but based on what I've seen in the Demo, I definitely won't buy it straight off. It almost seems "too polished" to me. I prefer games in which the player is free to tell their own stories rather than be pigeonholed into what the dev wants to tell. I think this game has the possibility of that, but the demo was more like a how-to-play tutorial and then a grand total of five minutes of making your own choices.

Old Post 09-26-12 11:05 #
Shaikoten is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Yeah. I just played it and it's extremely streamlined. Hopefully that is not going to follow the game through. Still though, for any hardcore X-Com fans there's Xenonauts. But I'm not writing off X-Com from playing the demo. I think it could be quite a good blast. Especially in a time where not many games like these are made.

Old Post 09-26-12 17:35 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
caco_killer

The demo is garbage, its nothing like the actual game at all. Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a great article about the full game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ours-with-xcom/

Old Post 09-29-12 05:27 #
caco_killer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Belial

No thread for the actual game yet?

Finished it on classic. Was awesome. Took about 30 hours. As a TFTD addict I had to unlearn pretty much everything when it came to the tactical screen but for the geoscape/base part my old habits got me through just fine.

Wanted to have another go at it on impossible but combat and panic management got really annoying after the first few missions.

Old Post 11-04-12 00:09 #
Belial is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

The game is really really good...aside from some HORRENDOUS bugs. One of my saves is now corrupted, FML.

Old Post 11-04-12 13:53 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

DooM_RO said:
The game is really really good...aside from some HORRENDOUS bugs. One of my saves is now corrupted, FML.

Just like old times, then. God the original is so bad about that, it's not at all funny.

Old Post 11-04-12 16:22 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Belial

Didn't see any bugs aside from some weird cursor behavior once or twice when I couldn't point to the square I wanted my soldier to go to when they were flying or going to higher ground.

Apparently there are some minor inconsistencies between the descriptions of some items/skills and their actual behavior ingame.

Nothing game-breaking though.

Old Post 11-04-12 16:22 #
Belial is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote