Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > DoomCon
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:16. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Every other fandom seems to be hosting conventions, why can't we? I'm not really being serious about this, but still, what if we had some kind of Doomwolrd meetup?

Old Post 10-06-12 18:16 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
walter confalonieri

is not a bad idea overall...

Old Post 10-06-12 18:20 #
walter confalonieri is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

I think the Doom community is too few and far between for it to work. I mean there's a lot of us, but we're spread literally across the globe. Where would it be held?

Old Post 10-06-12 19:19 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

Nomad said:
I think the Doom community is too few and far between for it to work. I mean there's a lot of us, but we're spread literally across the globe. Where would it be held?

I guess it could just be a North American one. Then there could be other continental ones, since it's unrealistic to expect everyone from all over to converge into one place.

Old Post 10-06-12 19:21 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

Even a North American con would probably be too small to be worth it. I'd bet less than 50 people would even be able to make the trek. That's not much of a con. :/

Old Post 10-06-12 19:25 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

Nomad said:
Even a North American con would probably be too small to be worth it. I'd bet less than 50 people would even be able to make the trek. That's not much of a con. :/

It'd be more of a meetup than a convention, in that case.

Old Post 10-06-12 19:26 #
40oz
Forum Spammer

There will be one and only one Doom Con. Everybody shows up and only I leave.

Old Post 10-06-12 19:45 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
LkMax

Isn't QuakeCon like an everything-id convention? I guess it's also a sort of Doom convention.

Old Post 10-06-12 20:35 #
LkMax is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Supreme Gentleman

Barbeque at the mods' places. We could set up a Losers room for the undesirables and underaged.

Old Post 10-06-12 20:41 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

Coopersville said:
We could set up a Losers room for the undesirables and underaged.

I wouldn't be one of those "undesirables", now would I? ;)

Old Post 10-06-12 20:45 #
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Any sort of DoomCon would be too small really, and nothing to really attract people. Local meetups, maybe? I dunno, I figured QuakeCon to be more in line with this.

Old Post 10-07-12 04:34 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

Clonehunter said:
Local meetups, maybe?

Perhaps. JoeyTD also lives in Ohio, so we could hang out if we wanted to.

Old Post 10-07-12 04:50 #
PRIMEVAL

Seeker and I are also Ohioans X)

Old Post 10-07-12 05:12 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

Not too far from me it seems; I live in Michigan.

Old Post 10-07-12 05:52 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Cons are gay.

Old Post 10-07-12 06:03 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

PRIMEVAL said:
Seeker and I are also Ohioans X)

Platinum Shell said:
Not too far from me it seems; I live in Michigan.

So, should there be a NE North America meetup? :P

Old Post 10-07-12 06:40 #
Stroggos

Technician said:
Cons are gay.

When you don't have friends...

Old Post 10-07-12 08:54 #
Stroggos is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Coopersville said:
We could set up a Losers room for the undesirables and underaged.

If there's nothing to keep us occupied except each other's company, and if online personalities are always representative of their real life counterparts, I envision a clicky crowd of people mingling with each other in one area, and a separate group of people who the first crowd doesn't like in another.

It would be like my last day of high school all over again, to which I didn't even show up. Not because of a fear of being cast into the "undesirables'" quarters, but rather not being accepted into either herd and being left in a sort of social purgatory. I think I'd pass on this even if geographical distance wasn't an issue.

Last edited by DoomUK on 10-07-12 at 09:03

Old Post 10-07-12 08:56 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11

You show up to the convention, but something's wrong. Broken windows, trash all over the place, it look like someone has even set fire to some barrels... Then you see it: a body under a table, some claw marks on the walls, a candelabra that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the decor. You know what this means, and hope it's not too late to shutdown the dimensional gate. Too bad you left all your weapons back home, except for that sidearm in your glovebox...

Old Post 10-07-12 12:26 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Alfonzo
Broadcaster

hex11 said:
You show up to the convention, but something's wrong. Broken windows, trash all over the place, it look like someone has even set fire to some barrels... Then you see it: a body under a table, some claw marks on the walls, a candelabra that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the decor. You know what this means, and hope it's not too late to shutdown the dimensional gate. Too bad you left all your weapons back home, except for that sidearm in your glovebox...
Press spacebar.

DSWPNUP

Entering A Doomed Convetion

Old Post 10-07-12 14:47 #
Alfonzo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scuba Steve

http://www.torpor.us/main.php/v/hidden/arioch/doomcon/

Old Post 10-07-12 15:16 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

Scuba Steve said:
http://www.torpor.us/main.php/v/hidden/arioch/doomcon/

But that's as old as Doom 3. :P

Old Post 10-07-12 19:39 #
188DarkRevived
Banned

Nomad said:
Where would it be held?

I know for sure that there are 2 other Doomworld members asides from me who live in Toronto, so let's just have the DoomCon on our turf at the MetroConvention Center down at the old Union Station. That's where the FanExpo is held every summer and where the AnimeNorth is held every spring.
I'm sure the Americans wouldn't mind driving up north for a day or two.

Old Post 10-08-12 01:14 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

DarkJedi188 said:
I'm sure the Americans wouldn't mind driving up north for a day or two.

I've heard that it's harder to get up there now, since you need a passport. Only time I've ever been to Canada was to visit the Niagara Falls, and it kinda sucked, since everything was so excessively commercialized.

Old Post 10-08-12 01:37 #
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

Clonehunter said:
Any sort of DoomCon would be too small really, and nothing to really attract people. Local meetups, maybe?
That was my first thought, too. Unfortunately I don't know of any other Colorado Doomers these days, and I'm a bit limited as far as traveling goes right now. Otherwise the idea sounds like it could be really fun.

Old Post 10-08-12 01:42 #
yukib1t is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Canadians? I know that someone else here lives in Toronto...

Old Post 10-08-12 02:53 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

hex11 said:

Wait a minute, the convention is being held in Cleveland?

Old Post 10-08-12 03:29 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Maybe we should all just have a giant internet chat room meeting with video cam and all buy the sme kind of pizza and pretend we're all sharing it and have a big "LAN" party and video chat and where Doom shirts and that can be our DoomCon.

Old Post 10-08-12 03:41 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

We can have it in Tucson, and find out who the perpetrator really is.

Old Post 10-08-12 04:07 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
188DarkRevived
Banned

BloodyAcid said:
Canadians? I know that someone else here lives in Toronto...

You, me, and Udderdude. And then there's Technician, but I think he might be in another province or town.

Anyways, December would be an ideal month for such an event, due to the anniversary of the release and all. Maybe somebody could get a real LAN set up at the venue. But how much would the tickets cost? FanExpo's cost as much as $45 nowadays, but I'm guessing that DoomCon's tickets would be considerably cheaper due to it being so narrowly-focused.

Old Post 10-08-12 05:29 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote