Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > software choices.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:10. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
darknation
Forum Staple

so, getting the internet in my new-old place sometime this month. Unfortunately my computer got kung-fu'd during a night of drunken debauchery and is now terminally fucked. The emergency backup computer lacks... power.

What I need is a suite of programs that won't rape the computer's limited memory. The girlfriend is an iTard and wants to install itunes, something that will be happening over my dead body. Or, more likely, hers. So a program that converts MP3's into whatever shitty format iPods use would be nice. Need a decent antivirus as well, something light and fluffy that goes easy on the system resources.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Old Post 11-15-12 21:16 #
darknation is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

If your PC runs Windows, Microsoft's own antivirus works well enough.

Old Post 11-15-12 21:19 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
durian

As I recall, an iPod will play an mp3 without any trouble, although it won't play flac, ape, or ogg (perhaps with RockBox though).

But if you want music library/player software that isn't iTunes, check out J.River Media Jukebox - this is the free version of their Media Center, which is excellent. It isn't bloated like iTunes, and will take care of any converting that you need doing, and you can use it to sort your tags out, and manage your music files and directories.

Old Post 11-15-12 21:58 #
durian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaikoten

How to save money on software:

1) Don't buy antivirus. Use the microsoft one or, better yet, don't click on shitty links you fucking retard. Oh, and use Chrome. Chrome works smoothly with even the junkiest of computers.

2) Microsoft Office is like a hundred bucks minimum. Don't buy it. Get Open Office if you need to have an office suite on your computer, or better yet, use Google docs and never lose a document again.

3) Media playing. If you want all the features, all the bells and whistles, and none of the shitty bloated memory hogging interface, go for Foobar 2000 for audio and VLC Player for video.

Other than that, everything else is just vidja games and specialty productivity software.

Old Post 11-16-12 09:56 #
Shaikoten is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Shaikoten said:
or, better yet, don't click on shitty links you fucking retard.
What about drive-by infections? They don't depend on you being gullible to click shady links. Don't reply with AdBlock or similar, please.

Old Post 11-16-12 12:19 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

printz said:
What about drive-by infections? They don't depend on you being gullible to click shady links.

But they do depend on you visiting websites that might contain code that activates said downloads, something unlikely to find in e.g. a bank's website.

Unfortunately, such code might even be included in iframe ads found on legitimate -but less "serious" stuff, e.g. gaming websites or forums-, and ISPs and hosters are too happy to publish any ad for a buck. They can afterwards wash their hands if merely hovering on an ad spawns 1000 popups which malicious XSS.

Old Post 11-16-12 12:21 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

darknation said:
my computer got kung-fu'd during a night of drunken debauchery

Photos or it never happened.

Wait, no.

Old Post 11-16-12 12:37 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

DoomUK said:
Wait, no.

He didn't say bu-fu'd.

Old Post 11-16-12 12:39 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote