Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Chinese New Year

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:16. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

Ah it's Chinese New Year again, held at 10th February this year. This is one of my favourite festival, and it's celebrated by all Chinese. During this festival, I can collect a lot of money by receiving Red packets("Hongbao" in Chinese), I can eat a lot of snacks too. There's also a lot of wonderful activities like fireworks and firecrackers(Banned in some places for safety), it's also happy to see that a lot of people will dressed in new clothes, or even in Traditional Chinese style(e.g Qipao).

As for songs of Chinese New Year, again there's lot of nice songs, a lot of them are my favourite too. That huge video(Shows a girl dressed in pink) in my youtube page of "Featured"(Not sure for the translation as my youtube page is in Chinese) an example of 3 songs of Chinese New Year. Same for my youtube avatar, which shows a Chinese Lady in blue Qipao, I changed it for the celebration of this festival.

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/6120/vvvhi.jpg

Well, I wondered if anyone have any experience of Chinese New Year. Why not share?

Wiki: About Chinese New Year
Chinapage: About Chinese New Year

Last edited by Daiyu_Xiaoxiang on 02-04-13 at 09:13

Old Post 02-04-13 08:24 #
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

What animal is this year?

Old Post 02-04-13 08:32 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

Obsidian said:

lol it's Snake this year.

Last edited by Daiyu_Xiaoxiang on 02-04-13 at 08:58

Old Post 02-04-13 08:35 #
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mordeth
Administrator

Actually, I'll be spending Chinese New Years in China. No gifts of Hongbao for me though, since I'm expected to be the one giving them this time around.

Old Post 02-04-13 09:52 #
Mordeth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

Mordeth said:
Actually, I'll be spending Chinese New Years in China. No gifts of Hongbao for me though, since I'm expected to be the one giving them this time around.

Be careful of Toxic gases and safety in China. Try to choose restaurants with better looking, no need to mind for higher prices, as there's lot of horrible food in China nowadays. As for its people, no need to be too polite to them since they lack the understanding of manners and moral. Which place in China will you visit? You can choose to spend New Year in Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia too.

Any difficulties in Chinese? I can help. I understand both Simpified and Traditional Chinese.

Nice to see you spending Chinese New Year in China. :)

Old Post 02-04-13 10:10 #
Netherstorm

I hear all about chinese new year from my vietnamese friend, quite interesting.

Anyway, happy new year to you.

Old Post 02-04-13 17:56 #
Netherstorm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Obsidian said:
Whatever animal they havn't eaten to extinction, yet.

Old Post 02-04-13 18:02 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Bah! This means that the local Chinese takeaway will be shut for a couple of days.

Err, I mean happy new year China and Chinese people!

;)

Old Post 02-04-13 21:18 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

Enjay said:
Bah! This means that the local Chinese takeaway will be shut for a couple of days.

Err, I mean happy new year China and Chinese people!

;)

Haha, brilliant, this has made my day. In all seriousness though, happy Chinese new year to all of you guys and wish you the best of luck.

Old Post 02-04-13 23:07 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Happy Chinese New Year! (to those who celebrate it)

Old Post 02-05-13 01:32 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaikoten

I've never experienced a Chinese New Year celebration, but since moving to the west coast of the US I've discovered quite a large Asian population, so finding a celebration in the nearby cities shouldn't be too hard. Are the traditional festivities held during any particular part of the day, like is there a midnight countdown or something similar to a Western new years celebration?

Old Post 02-05-13 02:00 #
Shaikoten is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

BloodyAcid said:
Happy Chinese New Year! (to those who celebrate it)

All I know is only 4 doomers are Chinese. Qaatar, Evocalvin, Erwin Lin and me, that means all of us will celebrate Chinese New Year. Maybe Tatsurd will celebrate too, not sure about Japan.

Shaikoten said:
Are the traditional festivities held during any particular part of the day, like is there a midnight countdown or something similar to a Western new years celebration?

Yep, there are different festivities on Chinese New Year. For example, cleaning on Preceding days, Jade Emperor's party celebrated on 10th day. However I really don't know much about these festivities as people doesn't care about traditional festivities nowadays.

Old Post 02-05-13 11:15 #