Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Historic Blizzard unfolding now
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:39. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

www.weather.com

Snooowwwwwww!!

How will it stack up against the 1978 storm that crippled Boston?

Also, participate in the PING project (Precipitation Is Near the Ground) by reporting whether precip and what kind is actually falling or if it isn't falling during storm events. (like now!)

Last edited by Hellbent on 02-09-13 at 01:48

Old Post 02-07-13 14:26 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Post here with your location and what the storm is doing (whether you're getting much snow/wind or not). Thanks!

Old Post 02-08-13 16:21 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sokoro

My loacation is Pilsen in Czech Republic

..and the storm does absolutly nothing here, cause it is on the other side of planet heh.
I am not a weather expert, but I find it very unlikely that the storm would move here.

Old Post 02-08-13 16:45 #
Sokoro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

You're right, it won't be affecting Eastern Europe or any part of Europe.

Location: Extreme southwestern Massachusetts, USA (also known as the Shire).

Very light snow was reported this morning at 7:30am. The snow only just became steady light snow at around noon. As of 12:45pm there is about 1/8" or less of snow on the ground with a moderate breeze kicking up.

2:15pm light snow. Total accumulation about or less than 1/4".

4:36pm light snow; about 1/2" now. stronger breeze (fresh breeze on the Beaufort scale).

8:30pm light snow, light breeze, 1.7" of snow now and light snow slightly steadier.

9:20pm moderate/heavy? snow, reduced visibility, light air, 3.1" (so that 1.4" in 50 minutes).

10:35pm similar to last report; fresh breeze, 3.3"

11:48pm snow noticeably heavier now. 5.0" of snow, moderate breeze.

Last edited by Hellbent on 02-09-13 at 04:55

Old Post 02-08-13 17:15 #
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Hellbent said:
Post here with your location and what the storm is doing (whether you're getting much snow/wind or not). Thanks!
I'm in Hobart, Tasmania. No snow here, gusts of strong to gale-force wind and plenty of smoke from a bushfire on the other side of the river.

Old Post 02-09-13 03:59 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Minnesota. All calm here, and it's warmed up nicely the last few days.

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/us_sf.gif
(Note: this image is continually updated, and the above comment won't necessarily remain true going forward.)

Old Post 02-09-13 04:34 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Look at that bomb of a blizzard in the upper right of that weather map!

No Northeasters out there to weigh in?

Old Post 02-09-13 04:56 #
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

Philadelphia here. It started snowing some time after dinner. There's 2 inches on the ground so far and it's a slightly wet consistency.

Old Post 02-09-13 05:11 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Bucket said:
Philadelphia here. It started snowing some time after dinner. There's 2 inches on the ground so far and it's a slightly wet consistency.
The weather experts don't expect you to get more than 2-3 inches. It'll probably be hardened by the morning.

Old Post 02-09-13 05:13 #
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Edmonton, AB, Canada. Sunny and warm. Somehow ended up above freezing today. My response? Spend the whole day in front of computers! :D

Old Post 02-09-13 05:35 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
188DarkRevived
Banned

Toronto got snowed in completely today. Colleges were closed. I had such a huge mountain of snow on my front porch that I could barely enter the garage to grab a shovel. And once I got the shovel then my efforts seemed so fruitless cause the storm was just so ceaseless.

Old Post 02-09-13 05:47 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ed

I'm in Franklin, MA. The worst part of the worst part to be in. Power's still on somehow, we usually lose power on any given extreme weather situation. My storm windows are completely caked over on the street side of the house where all the lights are, so I can't really gauge how bad it is. I peeked out the back door and it's looking pretty apocalyptic, but not yet near the blizzard of 05 as far as accumulation goes.

Old Post 02-09-13 05:51 #
Ed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Lame. I thought it was about Blizzard Entertainment.

Old Post 02-09-13 07:45 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Harmata
Loser

Central Ukraine here, heavy snow, send backup.

Old Post 02-09-13 10:28 #
Harmata is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Quintessential British weather: grey, damp, cold-ish. No sign of anything more exciting or pretty.

Old Post 02-09-13 10:35 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

printz said:
Lame. I thought it was about Blizzard Entertainment.
Sorry, this isn't about a software company's origami stunt: "Watch live: Historic Blizzard game software company unfolding now"

Thanks Ed and Aliotroph for the reports.

Old Post 02-09-13 12:42 #
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

DoomUK said:
Quintessential British weather: grey, damp, cold-ish. No sign of anything more exciting or pretty.

The UK did have quite a lot of snow recently though.
Well, most of it.

Old Post 02-09-13 12:47 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quast
insert title here

Grazza said:
Minnesota. All calm here, and it's warmed up nicely the last few days.

Outside of the metro at least is supposed to get 12+ inches over sunday night into monday afternoon, so that should be fun.

Old Post 02-09-13 12:53 #
Quast is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Eris Falling said:
The UK did have quite a lot of snow recently though.

Relatively speaking, yeah.

The problem is that if the lightest veneer of snow cascades down from the metaphorical heavens, the whole country shuts down and becomes obsessed with it. What we consider "quite a lot" of snow isn't really all that much.

Old Post 02-09-13 13:04 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Southern Ontario (Canada - North of New York state) checking in: Pretty snowy; about 30cm; sick of shoveling. But I feel even sorrier for those poor bastards that got over a metre. Plus the sun is starting to come out, and the snowing has almost stopped. I'm thankful.

Snowploughs have been pretty good, though. Must've been at it all night, because as of 6:30am, the roads are pretty clear.

Old Post 02-09-13 13:37 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

If it happens to NY its historic. Arkansas had a historic ice storm that destroyed everything and encased it in 12" of ice. Montanna has had 2 feet of snow dumped on it.

Old Post 02-09-13 14:21 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

DoomUK said:

Relatively speaking, yeah.

The problem is that if the lightest veneer of snow cascades down from the metaphorical heavens, the whole country shuts down and becomes obsessed with it. What we consider "quite a lot" of snow isn't really all that much.

Indeed. The fact that we usually measure snowfall in millimetres and other places are using feet seems to attest to that. Having spent a few years living in Canada, I always cringe a bit when Brits talk about "heavy" snow. Well... perhaps the Scots can get away with it, but not here in the South-East, heh.

Old Post 02-09-13 14:30 #
DooMAD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ed

It's over, the sun is out. We got around 30 inches over the course of the night, but we never lost power. I have a few packs of cigarettes and plenty of food, gonna spend the weekend playing SoTN and watching the snow melt.

Old Post 02-09-13 17:36 #
Ed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Hellbent said:
Sorry, this isn't about a software company's origami stunt: "Watch live: Historic Blizzard game software company unfolding now"
I thought they would release source codes to some of their old games…

Old Post 02-09-13 17:45 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Central Ontario couldn't be nicer today. Suns out and not a cloud in the sky.

Old Post 02-09-13 18:16 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

We got quite a bit of snow over here in Nova Scotia. I don't think I'll be going out anywhere in the next few days. I didn't lose my power, but not sure about the rest of the city.

Old Post 02-09-13 20:23 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

I did some skiing and some shoveling. I guess we got about 10-12 inches of snow. Hard to tell since it was blown around a lot. The deeper places seem like 15" and the shallower only 4", say.

Since it's been cold and will be -5 tonight, tomorrow I am going to reprise the Bash Bish galavant I did a couple years ago. Going with a different friend this time. Should be a blast.

Old Post 02-09-13 20:36 #
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

Well, overnight on Feb. 7'th, we got a pinch more than five inches, lower eastern Michigan (by day twa), LP. As you'd imagine I had no school (Junior), but shoveling aplenty. (luckily, I'm the working type.) Snow has been terminated.

My uncle about 120 miles north of me got hit pretty hard, as per usual.

On an unrelated note, I might be on the news today. Well, for my area.

Old Post 02-09-13 20:54 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaikoten

Seems like it was similar to some of the blizzards we had two years ago in New England. Those were fun. Best thing to do in that situation is stock up on booze, get a friend or two together, and stay drunk for a couple days.

Old Post 02-09-13 22:46 #
Shaikoten is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
188DarkRevived
Banned

Finally I managed to finish shoveling the driveway in peace. As a result, the little pine trees growing on my front lawn became completely camouflaged inside the snow, so now nobody knows that they're even there.

Old Post 02-10-13 00:04 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote