Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Screw Daikatana -- System Shock 2 out on GOG.com tomorrow!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:05. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pavera

The front page is teasing it: http://www.gog.com/

And here's an interview regarding the release on RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...2-comes-to-gog/

Let's just say that I'm super stoked. They've finally secured the game I've been dreaming they would for several years.

Old Post 02-13-13 14:14 #
Pavera is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Kinda weird SS1 isn't part of the deal, though.

Old Post 02-13-13 14:18 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Spammer

Fuck yes, and about fucking time.

Old Post 02-13-13 14:49 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CorSair

I have no idea where my copy of SS2 has gone. Same goes for the SS1.
But this indeed is awesome news. Now I just need dough. :(

Old Post 02-13-13 14:50 #
CorSair is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pavera

Gez said:
Kinda weird SS1 isn't part of the deal, though.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Stephen Kick mentions in the interview that the rights are still in a complicated tangle though, so that could have something to do with it.

Old Post 02-13-13 14:54 #
Pavera is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

It's not from the same studio and publisher. (Not entierly anyway)

EDIT: I might buy this when it comes. I don't have a DVD reader anymore and it would be nice to be supporting this game again. Definitely one of the best games ever made.

Last edited by kristus on 02-13-13 at 16:07

Old Post 02-13-13 15:06 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CorSair

kristus said:
It's not from the same studio and publisher.

Looking Glass Studios was the developer of both System Shocks. Irrational Games were former LGS employees.

About publishers, Origin was acquired by EA, and finally, Origin was disbanded in 2004.

Old Post 02-13-13 15:33 #
CorSair is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Irrational was started by some former LGS people. That's not the same. In fact. They worked in tandem with LGS on it, but there were a fair bit of friction between the teams causing people to leave.

Origin was indeed owned by EA. Which is why EA owned the rights to the SS franchise. But they didn't own LGS. Which is who made the game, and probably owned that.

Old Post 02-13-13 16:12 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vaporizer
Forum Regular

Great! One of the best games ever. No need for me to buy this though. They should try to get SS1 in too, sometimes I even find myself preferring it to SS2.

Old Post 02-13-13 16:23 #
Vaporizer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

I'm a big Thief fan and I know those games really well. As a result, SS2 can have me momentarily confused whenever it plays one of the sound effects that I know so well from Thief. The two games have quite a lot of sounds in common.

But, yeah, SS2 is a great game. Pretty hard as I recall but I haven't played it for a few years.

Old Post 02-13-13 19:02 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Stapler

Damn you GOG! Stop taking my money!

Old Post 02-13-13 20:14 #
Phobus is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

i hope the GOG version is compatible with whatever the latest iteration of the Rebirth highpoly pack is. that addon is a must have.

Old Post 02-13-13 21:07 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

Ha! I was going to make a thread when I got home from work today! Envying the hell out of the people who about to get to play this game for the first time.

Enjay said:
I'm a big Thief fan and I know those games really well. As a result, SS2 can have me momentarily confused whenever it plays one of the sound effects that I know so well from Thief. The two games have quite a lot of sounds in common.
Not just sounds...
My cUp RUNith OooOOOOvERRRRRRRR

Old Post 02-14-13 05:02 #
Captain Red is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vaporizer
Forum Regular

dew said:
i hope the GOG version is compatible with whatever the latest iteration of the Rebirth highpoly pack is. that addon is a must have.
Makes the models look too cartoony. The Tacticool Weapon Replacements are great though. The high resolution textures mod SHTUP is a must.

Old Post 02-14-13 05:16 #
Vaporizer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HWGuy

Okay GOG, you win. I'm definitely picking this one up.

The article states they have made it compatible with modern operating systems. Does that mean there is no need for the unofficial 2.4 patch?

Old Post 02-14-13 07:49 #
HWGuy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Archy
Forum Regular

The game has been patched to work with Windows NT 5.1 (XP) and greater, which makes me wonder; does this patch affect the game play at all or is it like Chocolate Doom compared to Vanilla Doom?

Last edited by Archy on 02-21-13 at 07:14

Old Post 02-19-13 22:59 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

It's been patched to work with XP? It already did work with XP. Anyway, I will be getting this as soon as I got some income again. Already own it, but it's nice to have the updated version and having it on GOG would make it more convenient for me since I no longer got any DVD drive.

Old Post 02-19-13 23:18 #
Archy
Forum Regular

kristus said:
It's been patched to work with XP? It already did work with XP.

Archy said:
...and greater[.]

Old Post 02-19-13 23:28 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaikoten

kristus said:
It's been patched to work with XP? It already did work with XP. Anyway, I will be getting this as soon as I got some income again. Already own it, but it's nice to have the updated version and having it on GOG would make it more convenient for me since I no longer got any DVD drive.

It worked on XP with arduous patching to the original. Or if you, ahem, downloaded it the right way. Out of the box it worked poorly, and especially poorly with dual core or any sort of hyperthreading processors. That, and no support for widescreen formats, would make this game pretty unplayable without serious work for any modern computer user.

The only way I got this game running perfectly stably, especially on multiplayer, was running a Windows 98 machine. Pentium 2, Voodoo 2, it ran like a dream. Otherwise I was subject to occasional crashes, or quite frequent ones on a network game. I do hope this version has updated the coop support a bit, but I'm not holding my breath, and haven't heard any word yet.

Old Post 02-20-13 08:31 #
Shaikoten is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Never had those issues.

Old Post 02-20-13 16:54 #
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Yeah, SS2 was the first time I had to fiddle with a game to get it to run on a multi-core system. I also had a funny issue in Vista where the sound would crash it. Turns out I had to use the "disable all enhancements" button in the Windows sound settings even though none of them were turned on individually. Took me two days to figure that one out. That tweak fixed a lot of strange application crashes for people on Vista in 2007.

It's nice to see SS2 getting some more exposure. I know a lot of people who've never heard of it, and it's an awesome game.

Old Post 02-20-13 18:03 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

kristus said:
Never had those issues.

SS2 and Thief:The Dark Project/Thief:The Metal Age were notoriously difficult to get working on XP... or not. A lot of it seemed to be down to luck and the specifics of individual systems. There are threads on the TTLG forums dedicated to the many possible problems and fixes.

Thief:TMA has got a community related fix that you run, point it at your source CD and it installs and fixes things for you. It worked brilliantly for me. There was talk of something similar being produced for Thief:TDP but I'm not sure if it was ever done. I currently have both Thief Dark Engine games installed on Win7 64 bit. I know that I did some messing around with them when I installed them but it was a long time ago and I forget the details. Both currently play just fine for me.

Old Post 02-20-13 19:50 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote