Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Adobe releases the source code for Photoshop 1.0.1

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:20. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cire

http://computerhistory.org/atchm/ad...op-source-code/
"With the permission of Adobe Systems, the Computer History Museum has made available the source code for Photoshop version 1.0.1, comprising about 128,000 lines code within 179 files, most of which is in Pascal, the remainder in 68000 assembly language. This the kind of code I aspire to write. The Computer History Museum has earlier made available the source code to MacPaint."

Old Post 02-15-13 01:35 #
Cire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

Back then I always liked Paint Shop Pro. It always seemed to do more at $30. Then it went to $100 while Photoshop went to $1,000.

Old Post 02-15-13 13:59 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Back when Real Programmers used Assembly (and Pascal).

Old Post 02-15-13 15:22 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

And the punchline is of course that you still have to "accept" an obnoxious license "agreement" to download. Ha.

Old Post 02-15-13 17:38 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Cool, maybe someone'll port it to today's computers. Even if it's non-commercial, can derivatives be made off it?

Old Post 02-15-13 18:27 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

printz said:
Cool, maybe someone'll port it to today's computers. Even if it's non-commercial, can derivatives be made off it?
Did you follow the link?

Old Post 02-15-13 20:46 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Actually, no, it failed to proceed when I tried.

Old Post 02-15-13 20:52 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
InsanityBringer

This is neat. Shame the licence means you really can't do much with it at all, though it probably would be interesting to poke at. Porting it to a modern environment could be a fun project, even if you couldn't distribute it anywhere. And really, would it actually be worth it?

I didn't know about the MacPaint code, I might poke at that also.

Old Post 02-15-13 22:25 #
InsanityBringer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

You can't even distribute it? Stupid open-source non-free software license.

Old Post 02-15-13 22:26 #
InsanityBringer

Part 2 of the licence seems pretty explicit about this. Part 1 says that it's fine to modify and play with for your own use, but beyond that you can't do much. This actually feels a tad like the whole Raven licencing issue from before, and it seems like they use the same licence for software and source code.

I guess this works if all they want people to do is just poke at it and see what things were like back in the era, but it would certainly be more interesting if they had a more permissive licence. But I'm really far from someone who could give any reasonable commentary on this kind of stuff.

Old Post 02-15-13 22:36 #
InsanityBringer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Just write a patch tool that takes a local copy and modifies it in place. Or write something to emulate enough of a Macintosh for it to work.

I suppose it depends what interests potential users, though. If it's just photo-manipulation parts then those can be found elsewhere or reverse engineered and built in a newer tool. If it's the workflow or experience of using the thing then a port or some emulation is more appropriate.

Really old Macintosh software is neat for having a consistency that just didn't exist on PCs. Macs or Mac-esque systems (like the Apple IIgs) were great to use as a little kid for that reason.

Old Post 02-15-13 22:43 #
Aliotroph? is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cire

Yes, it's too bad that the license is so restrictive, however it's good to see a big company release its old abandoned source code, even if under a restrictive license. One can only hope it will become a trend more companies will take after, hopefully under more liberal licenses. I have had hope for companies like Microsoft to release the source code of their old versions of Windows, MS-DOS, or any of their programs.

Old Post 02-16-13 19:53 #
Cire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

Cire said:
Yes, it's too bad that the license is so restrictive, however it's good to see a big company release its old abandoned source code, even if under a restrictive license. One can only hope it will become a trend more companies will take after, hopefully under more liberal licenses. I have had hope for companies like Microsoft to release the source code of their old versions of Windows, MS-DOS, or any of their programs.

If MS would release the source to Windows 95, you'd see some amazing things. mostly trying to get the damn thing to compile because it's a mesh of C, C++ and Assembly language.

Old Post 02-17-13 08:17 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

The Pascal code is pretty interesting. Even if it predates "Object Pascal" by a good decade or more, it actually uses Pascal's types and records to emulate a class hierarchy.

The closest you'd find today to an environment capable of "digesting" the source code is some flavour of Delphi, if you find a way to get rid of the Mac-specific dependencies (those "USES" stuff...and also a lot of the GUI stuff) and harmonize the old compiler directives (the stuff in { .. } ). Oh yeah, there are also those pesky parts written in Assembly...

Old Post 02-17-13 15:51 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

What's the point in releasing source code if you cannot do anything with it to share with others?

Old Post 02-17-13 17:32 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Welcome to the definition of "academic reasons".

Old Post 02-17-13 22:06 #
Aliotroph?
postCount++

You could write Dehacked-style patchers that modify the code in-place on end-users' systems. I'm sure they'd throw a swarm of lawyers at anyone who did something like that and made it popular for any reason, though.

Old Post 02-17-13 23:49 #
Aliotroph? is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote