Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Has anyone set up a Hackintosh without trouble?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:27. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I'm thinking of replacing my current desktop with a Mac (some day), however I don't really like any of the pre-built options from Apple. Has anyone succeeded in building a Hackintosh? Did you have any difficulty with software updates (including OS X upgrades)? Did you get kernel panics more often than usual? Was the user experience fragmented because you had to activate whatever hack had to be made?

Old Post 02-18-13 13:06 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

I built a hackintosh in ~2011 for a friend.

Make sure you get supported hardware. Anything non-exotic is likely to be fine. Make sure you do use a mobo that has a DSDT file for it on tonymacx86.com for example; that way sound and sleep should work with generic drivers. Using special ones for sound caused a lot of KPs on my friends build.

In the last couple of years, hackintoshes have progressed a long way in that you don't really need special kexts (drivers) nearly as much as you used to. The days of cooking up a special OS image are gone!

You shouldn't install updates to the main OS unless you know what kexts to back up (not sure if this is so relevant anymore). OSX updates usually break more than they fix after about 10.x.2 or 3 anyway.

Old Post 02-18-13 13:21 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Mr. T said:

You shouldn't install updates to the main OS unless you know what kexts to back up (not sure if this is so relevant anymore). OSX updates usually break more than they fix after about 10.x.2 or 3 anyway.

Oh, that may not work for me, because I'm a junkie for updates, and too often old software falls out of support...

Old Post 02-19-13 14:20 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Apple will soon do something stupid like switching the entire platform -even the desktop- on ARM or somesuch anyway, rendering Intel-based Macs (and their Hackintoshes) relics like 68k or PowerPC Macs in the past.

On the plus side, you won't have to worry about upgrading for too long then, because they will release maybe 1 or 2 minor updates before cutting the Intel branch completely off developments, like they did with the 68k and PowerPC in the past, so it will be easier than ever to set up an "ultimate" Hackintosh.

Of course, since PCs might be moving to ARM too, this doesn't mean that the Hackintosh Odyssey will be over ;-)

Old Post 02-19-13 17:24 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

printz said:
Oh, that may not work for me, because I'm a junkie for updates, and too often old software falls out of support...

It's not a big deal. You just need to reinstall sleepenabler (for example) after installing the update, but before rebooting. Otherwise you will have to do it from the command line, (trying to boot to GUI will cause kp) which is pretty easy too.

Old Post 02-20-13 05:42 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote