Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Google a mind of its own

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

I typed into google 17.2378 and this is what it spat out at me:

Your search - 17.2378 RadDeg x! Inv sin ln π cos log e tan √ Ans EXP xy ( ) % AC 7 8 9 4 5 6 1 2 3 - 0 . = + - did not match any documents.

Old Post 02-18-13 19:39 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

cool

Old Post 02-18-13 19:41 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

Ctrl-f, search for "hillis" here:
http://edge.org/responses/q2013

Old Post 02-18-13 20:10 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

gggmork said:

and then he said:
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

Old Post 02-18-13 20:36 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kirby

If you're confused by something in the article then specify and elaborate. If you are confused because you couldn't find the article then we may have a problem

Old Post 02-18-13 20:47 #
Kirby is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

Google has a mind of its own.... cleverbot sure doesn't.

Old Post 02-18-13 22:41 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

First result from DuckDuckGo was a link to Wolfram|Alpha

Old Post 02-19-13 00:42 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

I got that number from adding up the three fill ups of gas for my car... My next move, before google decided to hijack my query, was to erase the number and then type in the number of miles I drove on said amount of gas, 755 and then divide it by the mystery number. Apparently the number 17 is really significant in math. My calc teacher would go on about it periodically. It's an extremely odd number, given that it's prime and comes after 16, which is an extremely orderly number.

This is why you should do math using google: you might inadvertently learn something, even if you don't know what you learned.

Old Post 02-19-13 00:51 #
GreyGhost

I happened to have a calculator handy, which spat out 43.7990926916 as the result.

Old Post 02-19-13 02:35 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

gggmork said:

TL;DR version:

"google uses advanced search techniques to cut through the bullshit and give you the right information depending on the search terms and current events, including past searches, clicks and other activities while using the site"

Wow. I'm just shocked to my very core.

Old Post 02-19-13 02:46 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vi37M1nI1qzine1o1_500.jpg

Old Post 02-19-13 03:12 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

GreyGhost said:
I happened to have a calculator handy, which spat out 43.7990926916 as the result.
Also can write the answer as 43.8. Not bad for wintertime driving and driving in a bad snowstorm.

Old Post 02-19-13 03:42 #
Technician
Still no custom title

What is this thread about exactly?

Old Post 02-19-13 04:08 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost

The fuel efficiency of Hellbent's car in a snowstorm?

Hellbent said:
Also can write the answer as 43.8.
That's the result I got using a slide rule, which also happened to be close at hand. Next stop - pencil and paper.

Old Post 02-19-13 04:22 #
BloodyAcid

Technician said:

What is this thread not about?

Old Post 02-19-13 04:38 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Technician said:

Alcohol, and perhaps other inebriating substances.

Old Post 02-19-13 07:37 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

Csonicgo said:

TL;DR version:

"google uses advanced search techniques to cut through the bullshit and give you the right information depending on the search terms and current events, including past searches, clicks and other activities while using the site"

Wow. I'm just shocked to my very core.

If you happen to share the moral ideals of your particular subculture and aren't interested in a different perspective, your statement is true.

It's a pretty lousy attitude to have as an intelligent being, though. Ever seen a school advertise itself as lacking any oversea program and exposing students to a very limited curriculum? Knowledge doesn't come from sitting in increasingly small and isolated bubbles of people sharing opinions in everything, but from confrontation and being exposed to as many viewpoints as possible.

We now live in a world where there's hardly any physical limitation to the spread of knowledge, and instead, not only people choose to limit their horizons, they stand up and applaud when a company with more power than any government essentially enforces such restrictions on all of their customers.

There is no greater irony than seeing the Internet hivemind looking down at people living in authoritarian states.

Old Post 02-19-13 11:48 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote