Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > WoW now free up to level 20
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

downloading now.

https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

23gb required... nevermind, then!

Last edited by Hellbent on 02-23-13 at 03:11

Old Post 02-23-13 02:22 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

It's been like that for a while now.

Old Post 02-23-13 03:17 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

Hellbent said:

23gb required... nevermind, then!

Not sure if this still applies. It's possible to play before the entire client is downloaded. After an initial download, you can play and it will stream the needed data. Might be laggy though.

At this point, I have to say; Lol, WoW.

Old Post 02-23-13 03:50 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaikoten

Just over level 20 was when I decided I was bored to tears. That was almost ten years ago, but I imagine not much has changed in the game's formula since then.

MUDs for life.

Old Post 02-23-13 04:56 #
Shaikoten is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

My friend bought me a WoW demo disc once for $2. I felt obliged to try it as a result. I played it three times, averaging maybe 1.5 hrs each. I hated it. Haven't played an MMO before or since.

The whole design is really boring. What I'd really like is a game that's like an Elder Scrolls game, but permits people to host servers where their friends can play with them. Minecraft has shades of this, but without enough RPG in it. Instead it has building stuff, which is also pretty sweet.

Last edited by Aliotroph? on 02-23-13 at 05:32

Old Post 02-23-13 05:24 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quast
insert title here

Haha, yeah 7 years ago 1-20 might've taken the average person 4-5 days can be done in about 4-5 hours today. What's the point? If 1-60 content was totally free, I could understand.

Old Post 02-23-13 09:23 #
Quast is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

What do they do to the game that makes it easier to go through the earlier levels? Seems like that would be contrary to their goals.

Old Post 02-23-13 09:43 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

How does WoW compare to Warcraft 2?

Old Post 02-23-13 13:03 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Khorus
Strife!

Hellbent said:
How does WoW compare to Warcraft 2?

Not at all because they're completely different

Old Post 02-23-13 13:36 #
Khorus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

Non FPS MMOs are just so boring :-( Anyone play Infamous? That feels like a 1 player MMO.

I played WoW for an hour or so and decided to go back to Morrowind. My cousin's kid was within the top 100 WoW players by the time he was 19. I've seen other people play it and eh its just not fun to watch, therefore not fun to play.

Old Post 02-23-13 15:11 #
geo is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geekmarine

No different to me than when they used to have a 14-day trial. You could easily get to level 20 back in the day with the trial. Actually, this really limits the trial time because it's so much easier to get to level 20 these days.

Really, I don't even care. I used to enjoy WoW, though I never made it too far (I think level 35 was the highest I ever got). Not saying it's a bad game, but really, the only way they could really get my attention was if they went fully Free to Play. I've gotten hooked into Lord of the Rings Online, which is essentially a WoW clone, but it's F2P. I just find the F2P experience better for MMOs... Why constantly pay $15 a month even if I don't play when I can just pay nothing except maybe $7 when I'm ready to unlock a new area? Just, it seems to me that F2P fits better with how people actually play MMOs... Sometimes, you play it for weeks on end, and sometimes you don't touch it for months. I understand the need to pay to support the game, but it just makes more sense to me to have a system wherein you only pay when you're really devoting time to the game.

Old Post 02-23-13 16:12 #
geekmarine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

Shaikoten said:
Just over level 20 was when I decided I was bored to tears. That was almost ten years ago, but I imagine not much has changed in the game's formula since then.

MUDs for life.

This. Except my dad managed to get me to play until level 40, over the course of many years and him buying me several game cards (never spent a cent on this shit game). And then right after I hit 40 and got my mount they dumped the mount level requirement to 20 and made them cost practically nothing. All of that boring, tedious work to get the gold for a mount down the drain. I will never touch it again with bullshit like that.

Old Post 02-23-13 16:23 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quast
insert title here

Aliotroph? said:
What do they do to the game that makes it easier to go through the earlier levels? Seems like that would be contrary to their goals.

They streamlined the leveling process making it much faster to complete quests, lowered exp requirements for 1-60, then 61-70 and so on. They also introduced heirloom gear which gives like 5-10% exp bonus per piece which low level characters can wear.

Their goals are to get you to pay a sub. The 'meat' of the game, and where most of blizz's creative capability is used is and has always been max-level content raiding, pvp. They know too well that that is what people want to play so if they can get you to pay for a sub to get to max level as opposed to quitting at level 33 because leveling is boring, then they've succeeded.

Old Post 02-23-13 17:18 #
Quast is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoOmEr4LiFe
DoOm TiL dEaTh

Nomad said:

And then right after I hit 40 and got my mount they dumped the mount level requirement to 20 and made them cost practically nothing.

You can imagine then how frustrated I was playing a Paladin. We had to go on a ridiculous quest chain as well as relinquish a bunch of gold to get our 60 mount. Then Blizz came out and said that the Summon Charger spell will now just be taught. Yeah.

Old Post 02-23-13 18:13 #
DoOmEr4LiFe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Eh.

This is as close to an MMO as I get nowadays.

Old Post 02-23-13 18:17 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Is World of Warcraft still fashionable?

Old Post 02-23-13 18:23 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
stewboy

I like it.

Old Post 02-23-13 22:13 #
stewboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Quast said:

They streamlined the leveling process making it much faster to complete quests, lowered exp requirements for 1-60, then 61-70 and so on. They also introduced heirloom gear which gives like 5-10% exp bonus per piece which low level characters can wear.

Their goals are to get you to pay a sub. The 'meat' of the game, and where most of blizz's creative capability is used is and has always been max-level content raiding, pvp. They know too well that that is what people want to play so if they can get you to pay for a sub to get to max level as opposed to quitting at level 33 because leveling is boring, then they've succeeded.

Sounds awful. Now I'm just glad I hate it.

Old Post 02-24-13 08:58 #
sirjuddington
Slade doesn't mean what it used to

Heh, I feel as if I'm the only one in the doom community who still plays (and likes) wow :P Gets plenty of hate, that's for sure.

Old Post 02-24-13 13:42 #
sirjuddington is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

printz said:
Is World of Warcraft still fashionable?

Not really, even though the game is objectively better than at start. Better music, better quests, better visuals but it is goddamn 8 years old so yeah, of course people are getting bored.

Old Post 02-24-13 14:50 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Philnemba

meh never could get into WoW and the only MMORPG I ever got hook on is MapleStory.

Old Post 02-24-13 15:49 #
Philnemba is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

World of Warcraft I think has a neat soundtrack and art design...

And that's about it.

Old Post 02-24-13 21:55 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Netherstorm

I have a WoW subscription myself. The game does get very boring after playing it for 2+ hours, I think about 30 minutes to an hour of playtime is good enough.

Old Post 02-26-13 03:36 #
Netherstorm is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

Clonehunter said:
World of Warcraft I think has a neat soundtrack and art design...

And that's about it.

Yeah, i agree. David Arkenstone did some of the music, which is cool.

Old Post 02-26-13 04:12 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ArmouredBlood

If you want to try the game for free, until level 20, you're not playing wow. You're playing the introduction. I've found as long as I have people to play with, I'll stick with it. That and alts. Playing one class exclusively gets boring after a while. I'll admit there are much more interesting games out there, but for now, with my old laptop barely able to play newer games I want, if at all (looking at you path of exile), it fills the social gaming niche very well.

Old Post 02-27-13 00:01 #
ArmouredBlood is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

ArmouredBlood said:
I've found as long as I have people to play with, I'll stick with it.

That's probably the biggest reason for most of my time spent in WoW. Just being in a guild felt special. Then again, I'm inept, and the only socializing I can do is online. These days, my only desire to play WoW again is to relive the good old days I had in guilds. That's also the reason I don't play it again, as I know I can't relive those moments.

Old Post 02-27-13 01:32 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mogul

Netherstorm said:
I have a WoW subscription myself. The game does get very boring after playing it for 2+ hours, I think about 30 minutes to an hour of playtime is good enough.

rofl I have had plenty of 16+ hour days in WoW. I still would if my lifestyle allowed it.

Old Post 02-27-13 03:43 #
Mogul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

I'll stick to Path of Exile instead.

Old Post 02-27-13 05:49 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirjuddington
Slade doesn't mean what it used to

Mr. Chris said:
I'll stick to Path of Exile instead.

I really don't see what's so great about that game. I tried it and it just felt so slow and clunky, not to mention laggy. It just seems like they are trying too hard to be not diablo 3. Like the ridiculously overcomplicated talent... thing, dear god.

Old Post 02-27-13 11:42 #
sirjuddington is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doom Dude

WoW could go completely free and I'd still pass on it.

Only MMO thing I play is Guild Wars 2. Other than that, give me a good FPS or RPG, tho it seems the ones that interest me are few and far between.

Old Post 02-27-13 12:37 #
Doom Dude is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote