Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Sinkhole swallows a man in his house

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

So you've just gone to bed when suddenly the floor opens up and swallows your bed with you in it and your entire room.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...18635607?page=1

Engineers worked gingerly Saturday morning to find out more about a slowly growing sinkhole that swallowed a Florida man in his bedroom, believing the entire house could eventually succumb to the unstable ground.

Jeff Bush, 37, was in his bedroom Thursday night when the earth opened and took him and everything else in his room. Five other people were in the house but managed to escape unharmed. Bush's brother jumped into the hole to try to help, but he had to be rescued himself by a sheriff's deputy.

continued... http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...18635607?page=1

Old Post 03-02-13 19:54 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

The Earth took the wrong Bush.

Old Post 03-02-13 20:06 #
Technician is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eargosedown
Forum Regular

Oh man... that's horrible =[

Old Post 03-02-13 20:44 #
eargosedown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
StevieCybernetik

That is a really sad way to go.

Old Post 03-02-13 21:31 #
StevieCybernetik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Most unfortunate, presumably nothing to do with the Large Hadron Collider.

Old Post 03-03-13 00:19 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

GreyGhost said:
Most unfortunate, presumably nothing to do with the Large Hadron Collider.
A miniature black hole... That can be the only explanation! Destroy all science! Praise Allah!

Last edited by Technician on 03-03-13 at 01:43

Old Post 03-03-13 00:28 #
Technician is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darknation
Forum Staple

WORMSIGN!!

Old Post 03-03-13 01:02 #
darknation is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

darknation said:
WORMSIGN!!
This sounds more like a graboid attack.

Old Post 03-03-13 01:15 #
188DarkRevived
Banned

Just as predicted, the Icon of Sin has opened its portal in the heart of a city... in Florida!
And so, hell on Earth begins!

Old Post 03-03-13 01:28 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

188DarkRevived said:
Just as predicted, the Icon of Sin has opened its portal in the heart of a city... in Florida!
I wouldn't worry. Florida probably already has a century-old law outlawing demonic portals still in use, along with alcohol and ducks with puffy pants.

I just hope the Icon of Sin is prepared to be strapped to a chair naked and repeatedly pepper-sprayed for several hours.

Old Post 03-03-13 01:39 #
Technician
Still no custom title

Oops wrong thread.

Old Post 03-03-13 01:42 #
neubejiita
Forum Regular

darknation said:
WORMSIGN!!

How can this be? Truly he is the Kwizatch Haderach!

Old Post 03-04-13 06:39 #
neubejiita is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

Oh no, this is terrible.

九泉底下十徘徊,奈何橋上恨正長
腸百折,愁千縷,萬般無奈把心傷 - 袁樂梅(「梅花三弄之」岳翎的角色)

我是中華民國的台灣人! I am Taiwanese of Republic of China(ROC)!!!

Old Post 03-04-13 15:42 #
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Shitty construction work on that house.

Old Post 03-04-13 16:28 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
exp(x)

kristus said:
Shitty construction work on that house.

What leads you to believe that? I was under the impression that sinkholes are an unpredictable hazard of living in the shithole that is Florida.

Old Post 03-04-13 16:37 #
exp(x) is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Supreme Gentleman

When the house was built, they should have installed ropes to swing from in the event of a sudden sinkhole.

Old Post 03-04-13 17:07 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

exp(x) said:

What leads you to believe that? I was under the impression that sinkholes are an unpredictable hazard of living in the shithole that is Florida.

Correct. Also, an inspection company came to the property on behalf of the insurance company and inspected the property not too long ago for this very hazard and didn't deem it a high risk for a sinkhole. oops...

Old Post 03-04-13 17:11 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

When I saw this story my first thought was "who builds houses with concrete walls?" Is that a climate thing?

Old Post 03-04-13 18:34 #
Aliotroph? is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

exp(x) said:

American houses are like house of cards. They can't build for shit. Just the fact that a hole that is openend in the ground UNDER the house makes the floor fall out is absurd. Who the hell builds houses like that?

Old Post 03-04-13 20:08 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkpixelblade

I guess you could say, he took a dirt nap...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Old Post 03-04-13 23:18 #
darkpixelblade is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

darkpixelblade said:
I guess you could say, he took a dirt nap...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

A man died.

Old Post 03-04-13 23:44 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Aliotroph? said:
When I saw this story my first thought was "who builds houses with concrete walls?" Is that a climate thing?

People who don't want their house to play-act the opening scene from The Wizard of Oz? Other than sinkholes, Florida is famous for two things: citrus and cyclones.

(Also most houses in Europe are build with concrete too, despite the lack of cyclones.)

Old Post 03-05-13 00:15 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Gez said:

People who don't want their house to play-act the opening scene from The Wizard of Oz? Other than sinkholes, Florida is famous for two things: citrus and cyclones.

Florida has more sinkholes than any other state in America. Over 15000 reported.

Old Post 03-05-13 01:36 #
Csonicgo

kristus said:
American houses are like house of cards. They can't build for shit. Just the fact that a hole that is openend in the ground UNDER the house makes the floor fall out is absurd. Who the hell builds houses like that?

The American system built suburbs almost overnight. Which then also fell apart almost overnight.

Old Post 03-05-13 01:59 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Csonicgo said:
The American system built suburbs almost overnight. Which then also fell apart almost overnight.
It was those damn darkies moving in.

Old Post 03-05-13 02:29 #
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

kristus said:

Think you need to shove it on this one. Unless you're living in some sort shantytown I really haven't ever detected any sort of foundational issue in the average surburban home. Florida is a bit like Pitfall, but mostly just the pitfalls. Ok and the alligators. And the bugs.

Last edited by Platinum Shell on 03-05-13 at 02:45

Old Post 03-05-13 02:32 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Caffeine Freak
black and shiny

kristus said:

The foundation of a building is the most critical part. A house constantly exerts weight on the ground underneath it, so when part of that ground suddenly opens up, that house is in serious trouble, regardless of how well it's built.

Old Post 03-05-13 20:29 #
Caffeine Freak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote