Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Awesome New Quake Editor

An awesome new Quake editor called Trenchbroom has been released.
Video: http://vimeo.com/60789206
Features
- True 3D editing, no 2D views required
- High performance renderer with support for huge maps
- Vertex editing with edge and face splitting
- Manipulation of multiple vertices at once (great for trisoup editing)
- Smart clip tool
- Move, rotate and flip brushes and entities
- Precise texture lock for all operations
- Smart entity property editors
- Graphical entity browser with drag and drop support
- Comprehensive texture application and manipulation tools
- Search and filter functions
- Unlimited undo and redo
- Point file support
- Automatic backup
- Support for .def and .fdg files, mods and multiple wad files
- Free (as in beer) and open source (GPLv3)
- Cross platform (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux supported)

FINALLY! I hope this sparks some new interest in the Quake community.

I'd rather build maps for Quake to be honest. I just hope it's as easy as Doom. The possibilities...

Oh, nice of him for opening its source and making it available to Windows too. Yay, it should be mighty useful for a base of a modern GZDoom editor too…

Been working on a map for Darkplaces, this is really exciting - not so much for primary map editing, but the vertex edit mode looks infinitely useful.

That looks very cool. I can't remember the last time I edited Quake, it's been so long ago. I will have to give this a go. Maybe I'll actually finish a Quake map. The Shambler's Brown Dirt Hovel coming up... ;)

You never had to discard a map just because it leaks. In such a case, the compiler creates a point file (.pts) which the engine can display as a dotted line to help locate the hole. "Pointfile support" means it can also be displayed in the editor without the hassle of having to run the game. Not at all a novel feature actually.

neg!ke said:

You never had to discard a map just because it leaks. In such a case, the compiler creates a point file (.pts) which the engine can display as a dotted line to help locate the hole. "Pointfile support" means it can also be displayed in the editor without the hassle of having to run the game. Not at all a novel feature actually.

I never knew this existed!

I am having trouble getting the textures to show up.

The editor loads up the models just fine but no textures. When I try to set the texture wads I can't find any anywhere in my Quake folders.

I am using the STEAM version of Quake by the way. Is the STEAM version of Quake missing some files that the editor needs?

The textures aren't included in the game as wads, they are stored inside the levels/.bsp files upon compiling. The texture wads were released as individual files on the net - you can get quakewad.zip from here and add it in the map properties menu. To run the map ingame, you also need a set of compile tools - qbsp, light and vis. For example, from here (txqbspbjp.zip & visbjp.zip).

Well, I finally figured out how to compile/run my test map, so barring a close deadline, I'm most likely down.

EDIT: err, maybe not. I can't even figure out how to make a working door, and the documentation for this programme isn't exactly extensive...
EDIT: maybe the documentation is a bit better than I thought. I was using the offline help file. This is much better.
EDIT: nevermind... lol, what an adventure.

So how are you guys figuring all this out?? o_O

I'm excited. I tried "Quake" editing years ago with some early program called QUARK, the acronym of which I cannot recall. I found it to be a big rigid, and didn't want to pay 30 bucks for the full version (the shareware version was limited to a mere 300 brushes). This program almost sounds like Doom Builder for "Quake." This is great, because I'm itching to do some true 3D geometry.

GoatLord said:

I'm excited. I tried "Quake" editing years ago with some early program called QUARK, the acronym of which I cannot recall. I found it to be a big rigid, and didn't want to pay 30 bucks for the full version (the shareware version was limited to a mere 300 brushes). This program almost sounds like Doom Builder for "Quake." This is great, because I'm itching to do some true 3D geometry.

The biggest problems right now it seems is the lack of documentation. There is documentation, but it appears to be extremely basic.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I took a look at the page, but I'm not so sure I really like the idea of working entirely in 3D. Seems like it'd make everything more difficult.

You'd think so. I had practically no experience in that department, and after messing with Google Sketchup, began generating complex 3D geometry almost immediately. The point I'm making is that if the program is intuitive, the parts of your brain that process spatial information will ease you into it more smoothly than you might assume.