Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Which Quake game is the best?

Yes, it is another Quake thread!

Basically, which Quake game do you think is the best?

Also, when it comes to the original Quake, which version of that is the best in your opinion? The original Quake, Scourge of Armagon, or Dissolution of Eternity?

I am currently in the process of playing the first expansion for the original Quake so I haven't played both of them yet. However if I had to choose between all of the Quake games minus in the expansions then I would pick the original Quake.

Discuss.

I have only played Quake, Quake II and Q3:A. Overall I would go with Quake 1. Quake II feels more polished and the weapons are generally more satisfying to use but the monsters are better in Quake 1 and the art direction is more interesting IMO. Q3:A feels too one dimensional to me due to it's lack of conventional SP experience. It's fairest to say it should not be compared to it's prequels.

As for expansion packs, I played both SoA and DoE and found both to be very good. Of the two SoA narrowly edges it for me but it's one of those things I could change my mind on.

It depends on what experience you're going for. For instance, the movement differences between the games really change up the possibilities of gameplay experience. And if your main focus is multiplayer, it's hard to compare them in that regard, too. All of the games (particularly in deathmatch) are revered by different communities, and as similar as they might appear on paper, the gameplay experience is so varied between the games that it is really hard to come up with any sort of objective way to rate them.

I think across each category you might rate (best art direction, best music, best singleplayer campaign, best multiplayer, and so on), there isn't a single game that has the best in every category.

That said, as for an overall great experience, I would have to say it's very close between Quake (and QW) and Quake III (and CPMa).

Original Quake all the way for me. Gameplay, atmosphere, art style, monsters, weapons, music, etc. Love it all.

PRIMEVAL said:

Original Quake all the way for me. Gameplay, atmosphere, art style, monsters, weapons, music, etc. Love it all.

This. Quake's not without its flaws, but altogether it makes a great experience. Sad how often it gets dismissed with "brown lol" jokes.

I didn't enjoy either expansion as much as the original id maps, but Scourge was the better of the two.

Like the Joel vs Mike debate, I love all equally. Except 4. It was ok, but could/should have been better.

Nuff, said.

The original Quake didn't last long for me, it just seemed a little too simple and not much variety in weapons.

Dragonsbrethren said:

This. Quake's not without its flaws, but altogether it makes a great experience. Sad how often it gets dismissed with "brown lol" jokes.

I didn't enjoy either expansion as much as the original id maps, but Scourge was the better of the two.

Yeah, brown jokes are overrated. There was plenty of blue, too!

X)

Q3:A and Q3:TA... It's basically the only game that I was playing through my formative years (well that and RTCW). But there's nothing like firing a rocket into someone's face and watching them explode and hearing them swear at their screen despite the fact that you're sitting next to them.

For single-player: Quake 1
For multi-player: Quake 2 for 'fun' (anyone else remember Catch the Chicken?), and Quake 3 for competitive balance and flow.

I actually just recently (like, since yesterday) got right back into Q2 vanilla DM and found that Q2Pro is an incredibly, incredibly robust port, with lots of great gameplay, input, visual, and multi-player options/config variables to tweak to your heart's content. Once you've got your settings down pat, it plays like a dream. Plus it's got a 'raw input' mode for the mouse (like TF2) which is a freaking dream when you're using the railgun.

In terms of atmosphere, Quake 1 wins hands down. Due primarily to the soundtrack by Trent Reznor, it has an otherworldly feel that isn't really present in any of the other Quake games(despite them all being great games), or either of the Quake expansions(they each have soundtracks of their own.)

It's been awhile since I've played any of the earlier Quake games or their expansions from start to finish though, so I'd really have to do that again to answer in regards to the other aspects of the games.

I love both Quake and Quake 2 in equal measure. I also love Quake 3 Arena, but it can't be fairly compared to the previous two for obvious reasons. They're all great games, so go and play them all.

Quake 4 is the only game in the series that's ignorable. I'll reserve judgement of ETQW because I never really got into it.

i'm kind of biased towards Quake 2, myself, playing it all the time when i was younger. i still have fond memories of it and find the single player campaign to be actually really fun to play, despite the engine feeling a bit 'wobbly'.

Quake 3 Arena i got some time after. i was rather surprised that it was supposed to be a multiplayer-oriented game and never thought that high of it. i found it a bit hard as a result when i was little. maybe i should fire up the game again though, even though i'd prolly have no one to play the game with, lol.

Quake 1 is something i didn't play until several years later, and that was without music. despite that, though, the no-music thing actually works pretty well for the game's grim atmosphere! i hope i can get my hands on a proper disc of the game, though, since when i looked up a video with the soundtrack enabled, it was beyond magical and immersive. realistically, Quake 1 is probably the best game in the franchise thus far. the single-player is really fun to play, the controls are fluid as fuck and the art-style makes the whole place seems so grim and dark. is suspect MP is also very good, as well, and has been one of the stronger aspects of the game.

i've only played a bit of Quake 4. i recall that it was rather boring and restrictive, moreso than Doom 3 was. why all the bloody marines everywhere? would be more fun if it was only you against them. not so realistic? meh, who cares, it would have made the game a lot more fun, i think.

so, to sum it up: Quake 2 has best SP from a nostalgic point of view, but Quake 1 probably has the best SP from a more objective perspective. Quake 3 might be a really fun MP romp, but i'm not much of a multiplayer person, so i might never know. Quake 1 might have really good MP, as well. Quake 4 was kind of boring and unsatisfying, to me.

Doomhuntress said:

maybe i should fire up the game again though, even though i'd prolly have no one to play the game with, lol.

Good luck finding a Q3A server which isn't 1337 haxz0rd rocket arena nonsense. Assuming people still play it at all.

Quake Live is essentially the same thing as Q3A used to be, minus the gore.

Quake 2 for SP and one of it's mission packs
Quake 1 for it's mission packs and music
Quake 3 and ETQW for me tie for MP but only because I loved both their deathmatch and objective gameplay.

None. While I appreciate the advancements in computer graphics and great multiplayer, the Single Player is just a rehash of Doom 2, which is not nearly good enough.Oh and the art style is ugly in all games. Had they been made in our times, Id would not get away with it. It's a pity other companies like Valve or Looking Glass had to innovate single player when Id was (and is) perfectly capable of doing it.

I only played Quake 1 and Quake 2. It's hard to choose between the two, because I first started with Q2, but Q1 still sort of holds a special place in my heart as I managed to beat it with keyboard freelook.

And whilst I haven't played Q2 for years, I still sometimes tinker with Proquake and recently DirectQ (the most vanilla Q1 source port, I think?). I'm a pretty shitty Quake player, as I'm not comfortable with mouselook and the lack of vertical mouse movement makes my play increasingly sloppy. Well, moving a mouse forwards/backwards is technically possible in Quake (at least in Proquake), but vertical sensitivity is so low that it doesn't work for me at all.

I've only played 1 and 3, and I'm not that big on multiplayer games (and much preferred UT to Q3A), so I definitely gotta go with Q1 being the best. Besides, I absolutely love its atmosphere.

Quake 1 and Quake: Scourge of Armagon are the best Quake games in my opinion.

I used to love Quake 2 as a teenager, but having revisited it on livestream I found it far too easy (even on Hard) compared to Q1/Q1:SOA on Hard which proved to be a real fun challenge for me having never played Q1 previously. A fun game, but not as enjoyable as my playthrough of Q1 for me.
Also the atmosphere/music in Q1 was way better than in Q2. Dissolution of Eternity kind of sucked though, despite the somewhat technically impressive final boss fight.

quake 2.
why? because of the badass soundtrack, powerful feeling weapons and enemies that even when killed will most of the time try their best to kill you outright!