Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archy

Duke3d supports... widescreen resolution?

Wait a second... where did you get your version of Quake? This could be explaining a lot of things...

EDIT: Damn it! I just realized that I said "8,689,235 bytes" instead of "18,689,235 bytes." Sorry (it's not my day today, ehh).

Is your PAK0.PAK 18,689,235 bytes?

Was your PAK1.PAK 34,257,856 bytes?

If not yes to either of the above two questions, how many bytes are the two files?

Yes and yes! :D

I really hope I'm not derailing your thread. It's kind of a turning into the DOSBox tech help thread... heh.

schwerpunk said:

Yes and yes! :D
I really hope I'm not derailing your thread. It's kind of a turning into the DOSBox tech help thread... heh.

I've been thinking about making a DOSBox tech help thread in Everything Else for a while now. Might do it after I help you.

Anyways, as to your issue, this is starting to scare me. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get Quake working optimally, and I'm running out of ideas as to what might be causing the problem. I'll send you one more thing but this is not looking good, just to let you know.

I'll for sure be able to get Blood's mouse working better (not neccisarly good) but beyond that, IDK, so don't get your hopes up. Sorry.

Anyways again, more questions:
What mouse do you use?
Does it use special drivers?
Besides mouse lag, is DOSBox okay?

Also, have a look at this: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/16565/mouse-jumps-around-when-using-dosbox
(You'll want to edit "quake.conf" in "\DOSBox-0.74")

No need to apologize. Luckily I have some decent alternatives for Quake.

Mouse: Logitech G9 LASER
Drivers: Logitech SetPoint (updating my driver now, actually. Thanks for reminding me). "Logitech Gaming Software" v8.45.88
DOSBox: Besides mouselag it seems perfect. Maybe a little choppy, but no more so than back in the day.

Also, thanks for the link. Looks very useful.

EDIT: Setting autolock to "false" in the quake.conf seemed to help a bit, along with messing with the in-game sensitivity and my mouse's DPI settings.

What's interesting to me is the mouselag in Quake and Build Engine games is quite different. In Quake, it feels like my VSync isn't working (I'm sure you know the feeling), but in Build it's like I'm playing with a ball mouse that badly needs cleaning. It fails to register minute movements, and overreacts to some other inputs. It's very on-and-off again.

This is all mostly for personal curiosity and future reference, for your DOSBox tech help thread. :)

schwerpunk said:

...but in Build it's like I'm playing with a ball mouse that badly needs cleaning. It fails to register minute movements, and overreacts to some other inputs. It's very on-and-off again.

This is a very common problem (it occurs literally 100% of the time), but it's also a very easy problem to improve upon. I'll give you details after I've tried all I'd like to try with Quake. We'll discuss Build games in the new thread.

Considering that you have a 2.53GHz CPU, I doubt this will help but set "priority=normal,normal" in Quake.conf.

You might want to try this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84247286/schwerpunk_20130107.zip

It's configured exactly the same as the last download, except it has 4 (if not more) times the amount of video RAM and autolock is already set to "false." Be sure you copy your PAK files and to reconfigure your mouse settings in the Quake menu to like you configured it in your last post.

In the GUI above DOSBox, mess with the Video/V-sync options, and if one starts to work really well, edit quake.conf to have it permanently set that way. Also try "direct3d" in the video/output options in the GUI, and see if that helps at all.

The entire EXE is different; it would be impossible to increase video ram in Vanilla DOSBox.