Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Raven salutes LucasArts with release of Jedi Knight II source code
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Breeder
Mini-Member

I am literally frothing at the mouth!!!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/04/r...ii-source-code/

Old Post 04-04-13 16:16 #
Breeder is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Now we need the SoF codes.

Old Post 04-04-13 18:40 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

Used to love playing that online. One of the few games where I ever bothered to join a clan, heh. Hopefully something good comes out of the source release. Also hoping I've still got my custom skin lurking around in a zip somewhere, just in case.

Old Post 04-04-13 19:00 #
DooMAD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

Holy crap and it's even GPL, sweet.

Old Post 04-04-13 20:03 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

Holy shit stain! I used to absolutely love Jedi Knight 2 (I had the big box version). This is very good news.

Old Post 04-04-13 20:47 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

The best part of the code is this:

From tools/ModView/modview.cpp

code:
if (gbStartMinimized) { extern void FuckingWellSetTheDocumentNameAndDontBloodyIgnoreMeYouCunt(LPCSTR psDocName); FuckingWellSetTheDocumentNameAndDontBloodyIgnoreMeYouCunt("Untitled"); }

From modviewdoc.cpp

code:
// None of this shit works, because whatever you set the current document to MS override it with a derived name, // and since the CWinApp class can't even ask what it's own fucking document pointer is without doing a hundred // lines of shit deep within MFC then I'm going to fuck the whole lot off by storing a pointer which I can then // use later in the CWinApp class to override the doc name. // // All this fucking bollocks was because MS insist on doing their own switch-comparing so I can't pass in 'real' // switches, I have to use this '#' crap. Stupid fucking incompetent MS dickheads. Like how hard would it be to // pass command line switches to the app instead of just filenames? //

Old Post 04-04-13 20:50 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

inb4 //nigger

Old Post 04-04-13 21:10 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Funniest read I've had all day. Thanks, Gez. :D

Old Post 04-04-13 22:15 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Breeder
Mini-Member

Hell yes!!! :) Bite the hand that feeds!

Old Post 04-04-13 22:29 #
Breeder is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Quasar said:
Holy crap and it's even GPL, sweet.
Planning to scavenge it for free code?

Old Post 04-04-13 22:35 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danfun64
Mini-Member

Didn't Raven make both Star Trek Elite Force and Jedi Outcast? I wonder if IOEF will check for compatible Jedi Outcast/Academy code on the single player side...

Speaking of Video Game Engine Recreations, I wonder if this will mean more incentive for a recreation of the Sith Engine. I mean, we have the official source code of JKII and JKIII, not to mention the excellent DarkXL for Dark Forces. Now all that's left is DF2:JK

Last edited by Danfun64 on 04-04-13 at 23:02

Old Post 04-04-13 22:56 #
Danfun64 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

I haven't looked at it, but apparently the source for the Xbox ports is included in this too. Having the source to a console game is pretty rare, so that makes this release even cooler.

Also, this reminds me that I never finished these games. I tried marathoning the DF/JK series, but I was so burnt out after DF2/MOTS, which I didn't really enjoy at all, that I never made much progress in JK2 despite it seeming like a much better game. (Come to think of it, I hope this source release means someone will do a port with less terrible feeling mouse control. My biggest complaint about the game.)

Old Post 04-05-13 00:07 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I remember the ports of Jedi Outcast having extra features the pc version didn't have.

Old Post 04-05-13 00:57 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Breeder
Mini-Member

Avoozl said:
I remember the ports of Jedi Outcast having extra features the pc version didn't have.

One of those being the half circle computer terminals that stood out from the walls in the opening level. In the initial PC version, they lights were solid, on the XBOX they had a sort of pulse effects to them.

This might have changed with updates to the PC version, but it's been so long I can not remember.

Back in the day I partially recreated that level using GzDOOM. I had so much fun building it, but never finished mapping it and never released it. I'm sure it's still on my hard drive somewhere though.

Old Post 04-05-13 01:33 #
Urban Space Cowboy

For those who don't care what some shitty blog has to say, direct links to Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and Raven Software's statement.

Now if only the source code for the original Dark Forces was out there...sigh. Not bloody likely.

Old Post 04-05-13 05:20 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GeckoYamori

So when do we get Brutal Jedi Academy?

Old Post 04-05-13 10:04 #
GeckoYamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

GeckoYamori said:
So when do we get Brutal Jedi Academy?

There's already been blood mods and dismemberment enablers for Jedi Academy, it would be pointless to make a brutal version. :P

Breeder said:
One of those being the half circle computer terminals that stood out from the walls in the opening level. In the initial PC version, they lights were solid, on the XBOX they had a sort of pulse effects to them.
I remember there also being things like team arena's score system left in mp, shiny envmap textures on metal doors and crates and some weapons, animated lights on the laser trip mines, animated icons which pop up on screen when near an activatable object, menu background videos, etc.

Last edited by Avoozl on 04-05-13 at 10:55

Old Post 04-05-13 10:47 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GeckoYamori

Avoozl said:

There's already been blood mods and dismemberment enablers for Jedi Academy, it would be pointless to make a brutal version. :P

We still need curbstomping fatalities and nerf-herder taunts.

Old Post 04-05-13 11:36 #
GeckoYamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

GeckoYamori said:
And a good portion of the JA community shouting that said mod is making them look bad.

Old Post 04-05-13 12:28 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

GeckoYamori said:
nerf-herder taunts.

(Danny Glover impersonation) "Fuck your nerf!"

It writes itself!

Old Post 04-05-13 13:03 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

If only the Heretic II source could be released :P

Old Post 04-05-13 13:13 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
bcwood16

Sweet!

I loved this game, played it so much, also played it on-line alot, something I dont often do.

Not sure were this will lead, but hey it has to be a step in the right direction :)

Old Post 04-05-13 13:33 #
bcwood16 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

GeckoYamori said:
Well there actually is a few saber taunts and flourishes already in the game, fatalities not so much besides the rotating slow-mo cam when killing an enemy.

Old Post 04-05-13 13:36 #
Chu
Forum Regular

Quasar said:

Ooohh yes, I'd be far more interested in Heretic II's source. ;)

Old Post 04-06-13 04:10 #
Chu is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
188DarkRevived
Banned

Quasar said:

Just download the T-Mod. It's got so many new features that it feels like a source-port. Seriously. I use it for multiplayer. And yes, people still play this game, but not all of them get along with each other, and they whine about the need to get new recruits. :p

Old Post 04-07-13 01:31 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Urban Space Cowboy said:
For those who don't care what some shitty blog has to say, direct links to Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and Raven Software's statement.

Now if only the source code for the original Dark Forces was out there...sigh. Not bloody likely.

I dunno, maybe we'll get lucky and get the source for all the 90s DF games?

Heh, unlikely.

Old Post 04-07-13 04:23 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

There's already a dark forces mod for Academy and with the Academy source code it could be modified to make it match the darf forces game even more by changing the weapons, adding in the power ups, adding a life system and such.

Old Post 04-07-13 04:52 #
Breeder
Mini-Member

Avoozl said:
There's already a dark forces mod for Academy and with the Academy source code it could be modified to make it match the darf forces game even more by changing the weapons, adding in the power ups, adding a life system and such.

That MOD was never completed though was it, just a demo and then cancelled if I remember right. Had great potential though!

Old Post 04-07-13 05:20 #
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Breeder said:

That MOD was never completed though was it, just a demo and then cancelled if I remember right. Had great potential though!

Actually there was more levels added to it since then but with a cancelation on further progress.

Edit: I just checked my copy and it has over 9 maps.

Old Post 04-07-13 05:37 #
188DarkRevived
Banned

Clonehunter said:

I dunno, maybe we'll get lucky and get the source for all the 90s DF games?
Heh, unlikely.

There's a port of Dark Forces 1 in development already. It's called the "DarkXL Engine". Currently, I can't play it because it doesn't have properly customizable keyboard controls yet. But hopefully that gets fixed in the next version.

Old Post 04-08-13 03:02 #
188DarkRevived is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote