Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Anyone ever played 7th Legion?
 
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Eris Falling
Forum Staple


Posts: 2614
Registered: 07-12


7th Legion, published in 1997 by Epic MegaGames is probably the best strategy game I've ever played - and that's only based on the 3 mission demo version. I was wondering if anyone else had played this great game.

For those who have not heard of it, the object of 7th Legion is to create an initial base somewhere in the map area, create buildings to produce combatants (troopers, tanks or robots in the demo), power stations to keep these buildings ticking over, and then advance your troops against the enemy, and destroy all their buildings, while making sure they don't get you. Level 02 was by far my favourite from the demo, where I could spend well over an hour sticking a huge armada of 50 or so Tormentor tanks in a defensive postion. Whatever RED threw at me, I was ready for it.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/19694-7th-legion-windows-screenshot-these-tanks-need-babysitting.jpghttp://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/screenshots/1/196521/7thlegio_screen004.jpghttp://www.epicgames.de/Pictures/7thLeg.jpg

Last edited by Eris Falling on 04-05-13 at 18:17

Old Post 04-05-13 00:29 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!


Posts: 11791
Registered: 07-06


Interesting. I never knew that EPIC tested the RTS terrain. TBQH, the concept wasn't terribly original by 1997 (there was already C&C, Warcraft II, KKND and there soon was to be Starcraft) but I'm curious about the execution. Though I suspect it probably wasn't up to par with any of those games, hence it didn't make the cut. Then again, you never know.

Old Post 04-05-13 08:57 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Belial
Senior Member


Posts: 2175
Registered: 09-05


Middle screen top row, triple-barrelled tanks? Looks like they wanted to top C&C's Mammoths.

Old Post 04-05-13 09:20 #
Belial is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++


Posts: 2473
Registered: 03-02


That's a very primitive RTS game for 1997. It looks like a clone of the Win9x version of C&C without harvesting.

Old Post 04-05-13 11:41 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GeckoYamori
Member


Posts: 274
Registered: 07-08


I played the demo of it back in the day. Looks like it has aged terribly!

There's one other particular RTS I played during the first wave of C&C clones that I haven't been able to find. It was a pretty blatant C&C ripoff even for the standards of the time, complete with a TV news network intro FMV if I recall correctly. The only other details I remember are a very low-pitched eva-soundalike, and that you had to seed the resources yourself before you could harvest them.

I've taken a look at as many RTS games from that era as I could find, like Dark Colony or Dark Reign, but it's neither of those.

Old Post 04-05-13 12:02 #
GeckoYamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil
Senior Member


Posts: 1638
Registered: 03-04


The unique feature of 7th Legion was the battle cards; it dealt out several random ones from a deck of apparently 50, to every player at regular intervals.

Depending on your luck, they could change the way the game was heading, if you got the right ones.


GeckoYamori said:
There's one other particular RTS I played during the first wave of C&C clones that I haven't been able to find. It was a pretty blatant C&C ripoff even for the standards of the time, complete with a TV news network intro FMV if I recall correctly. The only other details I remember are a very low-pitched eva-soundalike, and that you had to seed the resources yourself before you could harvest them.


I believe 'The L.E.D Wars' has a resource you obtain by planting seeds and then harvesting them.

Last edited by Vermil on 04-05-13 at 12:34

Old Post 04-05-13 12:25 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple


Posts: 2614
Registered: 07-12



Belial said:
Middle screen top row, triple-barrelled tanks? Looks like they wanted to top C&C's Mammoths.


Yes, Faith Hammers. Can't say I ever used them extensively though, due to the fact that they only appeared in the last level of the demo version, by which time you had the rapid long-range rocket lauching Nova robots for the same cost.


The unique feature of 7th Legion was the battle cards; it dealt out several random ones from a deck of apparently 50, to every player at regular intervals.

Depending on your luck, they could change the way the game was heading, if you got the right ones.


Ah I had fun with those. It's fun trying to time it right and wait until the enemy is all bunched up then either steal their forces and use them against the enemy, or simply blow them up. Infiltrate was a fun card, since you could take over an enemy building and then just start pouring out your own tanks from there.

What made each level more interesting however is that the AI were also given these cards. I'm sure those who have played 7th Legion have bad memories of the enemy playing the "Armageddon" card :P

Old Post 04-05-13 12:35 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!


Posts: 11791
Registered: 07-06



Eris Falling said:
Ah I had fun with those. It's fun trying to time it right and wait until the enemy is all bunched up then either steal their forces and use them against the enemy, or simply blow them up. Infiltrate was a fun card, since you could take over an enemy building and then just start pouring out your own tanks from there.


Reminds me of the special side features and special superweapons of each side in "Dune II". There too, you could fuck up the AI pretty badly by capturing buildings, turning troops with the Ordos, or screw up the balance by building multiple "Death Hand" missile launchers. With more than one, you had pretty good odds of crippling the enemy's base effortlessly, once you had a general idea of its whereabouts.

Old Post 04-05-13 13:00 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Looper
Member


Posts: 475
Registered: 07-09


I did play it through when I was a kid. Yesterday I was thinking to play it again because it's fun and challenging game (if I recall correctly). There was one stupid card in the game though, so I didn't use it. The card destroyed all units and building in the map except leaving 1hp to all construction yards (if it was full hp). So the best tactic was to rush through enemy base and hit at least once the enemy construction yard and draw the card.

Old Post 04-05-13 14:15 #
Looper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple


Posts: 2614
Registered: 07-12



Looper said:
There was one stupid card in the game though, so I didn't use it. The card destroyed all units and building in the map except leaving 1hp to all construction yards (if it was full hp).


This.


I said:
I'm sure those who have played 7th Legion have bad memories of the enemy playing the "Armageddon" card



The card also turned the screen completely blank while it did its work over about 5 seconds. All the trees would be destroyed too, with just the trunks remaining afterwards. In the demo, it never appeared as an initial card, so if you wanted to use it, you had to wait until it came as one of the periodic cards or it happened to be the "extra card" in the power-up boxes. Far more annoying when it's used against you though.
You can spend ages building your base, and getting your units ready and then boom :P

That said, it is very useful as a last-ditch defence attempt. I've always surrounded the main base in walls so the enemy can't hit it, so if they do happen to turn up and kill my units, there's still time to play the Armageddon card and destroy them before they hit the base.

Old Post 04-05-13 14:32 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GeckoYamori
Member


Posts: 274
Registered: 07-08



Vermil said:I believe 'The L.E.D Wars' has a resource you obtain by planting seeds and then harvesting them. [/B]


Managed to find a demo which just barely works in Win7 with compatibility mode. Sure enough, this is the game. Had a massive surge of deja vu through my body when I heard the silly soldier voice saying "okey dokey!". I think I only spent around 20 minutes total with this game, I don't know how it ended up being such a heavily ingrained memory.

Stranger still is that this was apparently made by Larian, and I was just looking at their Steam sale for Divinity earlier today.

Old Post 04-05-13 15:02 #
GeckoYamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations


Posts: 2653
Registered: 06-07


I remember the "bug" in tiberian sun where you can keep building a 2 unit long "snake" of cheap wall units, constantly selling the "tail" and making a new "head" in order to build base stuff far away. That was fun single player on the normal harder war maps, but not having something like idclev to warp to any map you want sucked, having to play linearly through all and missing a bunch because you have to choose a path at forks.
never played 7th legion.
Starcraft never interested me; maybe its good but never bothered playing much. red alert (old one) wasn't as good as tiberian sun. All of these types of main stream games suffer from not having a community of modders to create really challenging hell revealed style play and such like doom has (covert operations was more challenging/fun than tiberian sun at least). It'd be too much of a chore to even figure out how to play that stuff on modern machines so haven't played in a long time.

Old Post 04-06-13 20:01 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple


Posts: 2396
Registered: 03-09



gggmork said:
I remember the "bug" in tiberian sun where you can keep building a 2 unit long "snake" of cheap wall units, constantly selling the "tail" and making a new "head" in order to build base stuff far away. That was fun single player on the normal harder war maps, but not having something like idclev to warp to any map you want sucked, having to play linearly through all and missing a bunch because you have to choose a path at forks.
never played 7th legion.
Starcraft never interested me; maybe its good but never bothered playing much. red alert (old one) wasn't as good as tiberian sun. All of these types of main stream games suffer from not having a community of modders to create really challenging hell revealed style play and such like doom has (covert operations was more challenging/fun than tiberian sun at least). It'd be too much of a chore to even figure out how to play that stuff on modern machines so haven't played in a long time.


C&C has a very active modding community and pretty much one-click installers for modern systems since EA released the first three games for free.

Old Post 04-06-13 20:07 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk
Forum Staple


Posts: 2046
Registered: 05-12


The graphics in those screenshots kind of remind of Mechwarrior 3050 (YouTube) for the SNES.

I've never played 7th Legion, but it looks pretty rad.

Old Post 04-06-13 20:52 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple


Posts: 2614
Registered: 07-12



The video title said:
Super Nintendo SNES


Smart. Super Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System.


I have to say that - although Mechwarrior predates 7th Legion by about a year, the robot that appears on the title screen at 0:42 looks very much like a combination of the Novas and Revelators from 7th Legion. For reference, a Nova can be seen in the bottom left of the second screenshot, and a Revelator at the bottom of the YT video thumbnail.

Chances are this robot inspired those two.

Old Post 04-06-13 21:25 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations


Posts: 2653
Registered: 06-07



Dragonsbrethren said:

C&C has a very active modding community and pretty much one-click installers for modern systems since EA released the first three games for free.



Do you maybe know of a "slaughtermap" for c&c that can be seen on youtube?



Eris Falling said:


Super Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System.



That's just maximizing searchability (keyword stuffing) so the video should appear whether someone types "snes" OR "super nintendo". But with new and improved (meaning broken and stupid, possibly intentionally) intellisearch™ or cassini search etc, the powers that be don't like search working like that anymore; it gives users too much freedom to learn and develope their own neuron paths. Now it typically just gives you "best match", meaning worst match, and things THEY approve of, especially at north korebay. I just read youtube was set up by 3 paypal employees, holy shit, evacuate. Paypal loves to turn the digital economic faucet off for anyone they please as judge jury and executioner, sometimes for lulz just to watch them squirm. Nice to know they can ban you from youtubes as well. You'll probably have to give youtube your social security number to use it soon. That'll be on internet 2, the evil internet where only large insiders are allowed to operate, and all their competition is shut down. "you mean there was an "internet" before facebook, dad?" "quiet son, the authorities might hear us talking about this"

Old Post 04-07-13 00:24 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
 
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Anyone ever played 7th Legion?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are OFF
[IMG] code is ON
 

< Contact Us - Doomworld >

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.5
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Message Board Statistics