Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Evil Dead (2013)

DoomUK said:

No Bruce Campbell? Pass.

I agree; he's practically evil dead himself. Still, I wouldn't mind watching the remake if I had time to waste, but I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the first.

Saw it on Sunday. It's a pretty awesome film. Good as the original? Of course not, but I'll be damned if I didn't wind up enjoying myself. You can't watch the film without comparing it to the first - it's unfair and frankly, this is a completely different film in a number of ways... (Namely, the budget).

Also - practical effects all over the place couldn't have made me happier.

I wanna see it this weekend. Brucey or not I think this could be good, probably not as good, but still good. I was hooked from the first trailer.

It was pretty good, a solid 7/10 I'd say. One thing that bummed my out is that it seems like no one uses white contacts on monsters anymore, and I don't find yellow Hot Topic contacts to be scary. Also, keep in mind that it's more of a sequel than some sort of series reboot.

One day, the elites were gazing at the matrix through their eye of Sauron, google, and noticed a loophole where people were still managing to freely enjoy unexploited, unmolested information, and purchase it used on the remaining free market, under the keywords "evil dead" and "army of darkness". Instantly the keywords were sent off to various supercomputers were they were memetically studied, and any humans who had an affinity for these memes were anthropologically studied. The profitability of the keywords was calculated and an attack plan to steal this value and add it to the borg was devised. The plan was going to be the same due to its algorithmically proven success; a junk movie would be barfed out of the industry and fraudulently assigned the same keywords "evil dead" to exploit and hijack the SEO of the real keywords. This is all legalized by elite controlled law and exempt from the copyright weapons they fire at everyone else to dominate. Illuminati scientologists from They Live were cast in all the lead roles and a network of insider movie theater's would add it to the queue as an elite-approved movie for memetic saturation.

Soon, when you search for "evil dead" in elite controlled search engines, all the SEO will be targeted at the fraudulently named Evil Dead (2013) to bury the original. You might personally remember the original, but you will die and generations later, your children and their children's children simply won't be able to find it. It will be memetically erased for profit and to dumb everyone down, and soon the populace will think that the junk Evil Dead (2013) IS the original, so that ANOTHER new version can be created to bury that. Pretty soon, 40 years from now everyone will think that Evil Dead is its then current manifestation which will probably basically be like Ow My Balls from Idiocracy. Its intentional memetic devolution.

This tactic has already successfully been deployed for all mainstream memes (the most profitable ones first) like Star Wars and various super hero movies. Now they are mopping up "cult classics" and "sleeper hits". I didn't even see the movie but there's no need to pay to confirm what I already know. Besides, if they staged a "Batman shooter" as a false flag attack on the 2nd amendment, what are they planning for evil dead, especially after so much conditioning about zombies eating people's faces with bath salts? Plus you can't even walk into a movie theater with your own pizza and soft-kill coke poison; you have to buy their marked up food as an in your face tyrannical restraint of trade. Its one monopoly parasitically attached to another like a McDonald's inside a Walmart.

gggmork said:

stuff

I admire how you can dedicate a certain amount of time to write all that stuff down consistently.

I went to see it with my friends on Tuesday and we all enjoyed it. I've seen Evil Dead 1 + 2 and Army of Darkness and the new film was pretty much what I expected it to be. I know some people miss Bruce Campbell but he hadn't even really come into his own until Evil Dead 2 anyway, imo, so a remake of the first movie didn't need to be about him and the comedic slant that the sequels took on. I did have some gripes with the new movie but it was still a fun experience. I also like to see my friends jump in their seats, which did happen a few times. :)

As an aside, Bruce actually does show up in the movie, sort of (wait until after the credits).

I always imagine our friend gggmork locked indoors all day long, wearing a tinfoil hat and surrounded by "surveillance equipment" to monitor the alleged alien indavers' activities, which is his primary source of interest and amusement when not posting elaborate conspiracy theories about everything on Doomworld - one hand on the keyboard, crack pipe in the other.

It is fucking disgustingly, painfully awesome. You will FEEEEEEL every pain in this movie. Every slice, you'll feel it. You won't get that same feeling from any other movie. I'm a big fan of the originals. This is probably the best movie I've seen all year that will stick in your mind for a long time.

Bruce Campbell... is he in it though. That's the question you'll have to see it all for the answer.

I've long given up on this whole remake/reboot/prequel fad in Hollyoowd. Even if it's a good movie, I won't see it. Why's that? Because if the first one was awesome, then I have absolutely zero motivation to see a remake of it. Same with Robocop, Total Recall, Wizard of Oz, The Thing, Terminator, Blade Runner, ill-fated remakes like Dune and Akira, and countless others. What would motivate me to see a remake is if the original movie has plenty of room for improvement. Doom, The Illustrated Man, The Running Man, Spawn and Mission to Mars come to mind.

GoatLord said:

What would motivate me to see a remake is if the original movie has plenty of room for improvement... The Running Man

No way, dude. That is one film that can never be improved upon.

Snakes said:

No way, dude. That is one film that can never be improved upon.

inb4 "It's not as good as the book"-type responses

I regret my Running Man comment. It's actually a really entertaining movie, just somewhat mediocre in comparison to Arnold's best work (Predator, Terminator 1 and 2, Total Recall). The Terminator comment was misleading; they're merely making a fifth movie.

DoomUK said:

inb4 "It's not as good as the book"-type responses

the necrnomicon ex mortis is a fucking cracker of a book, tho.

Caffeine Freak said:

No point in such a response. It goes without saying in this case.

Be that as it may, written word and film are two different art forms, and it's senseless to compare them in the first place. Whether people enjoyed a given book or movie more than the other, whenever the "It's not as good as the book" retort is made I feel like reaching through the internet and throttling someone. Compare movies to movies and books to books, please. :p

Besides, The Running Man (the movie) is an Ahnold classic. It's no Terminator or Predator (or even Conan or Commando or Total Recall), but any movie in which an opera-singing fat guy wearing an inexplicably campy outfit shoots lightning bolts out of his hands gets my approval.

DoomUK said:

whenever the "It's not as good as the book" retort is made I feel like reaching through the internet and throttling someone. Compare movies to movies and books to books, please. :p

think of it more as a lamenting for wasted potential. anyone who has read I Am Legend and then had to suffer through the will smith movie and NOT thought 'man, I wish this was more like the book i.e; not a piece of shit' should be dragged out into the street and shot.

also, the Running Man was based on a novel by richard 'not stephen king' bachman. And the book was indeed... just better.

Now, I'll say that the stephen king novella Shawshank Redemption was utter balls compared to the movie. I say the movie was better than the book. Do you want to reach through your screen and strangle me?

darknation said:

think of it more as a lamenting for wasted potential.

There's plenty of movies based on original screenplays that could have been better, too.

darknation said:

Now, I'll say that the stephen king novella Shawshank Redemption was utter balls compared to the movie. I say the movie was better than the book. Do you want to reach through your screen and strangle me?

I'm not saying I don't have preferences, because I wholeheartedly agree. I also think the LOTR movies told a better tale than Tolkien's ridiculously long-winded epic tome did. I'm tempted to be a dick and say the same about Game of Thrones without having read the books, but you couldn't get me to read those even under pain of death.

Anyway, these opinions of mine don't affect my ability to judge these things on their own terms. I can say why I think a particular book or movie is good without comparing one to the other.

DoomUK said:

There's plenty of movies based on original screenplays that could have been better, too.

I don't doubt it. The original script for prometheus, back when it actually had Giger's Alien in it, was pretty baller - moreso than the final movie turned out to be. But people who read screenplays are few and far between. People who can make judgments on what is and is not a good screenplay are even rarer.

Truth of the matter is we only get to see screenplays after the movie has been released, and even then it's only the hardcore fans who will bother sifting through. Whereas everyone who wants to read the book is free to do so.

I see your point when comparing something like... say, Jaws the novel to Jaws the movie. The two, whilst hitting roughly the same beats, are completely dissimilar in tone and character. Both have their merits. I think most novel-to-movie adaptions fail because they are too afraid to take risks with changing story and characters from the source material. The slavish devotion to the novels visible in the Harry Potter movies, for example. Fear to change things, because the fans would take a shit-fit, even if the end result would be a far superior movie.