Heh, just finished playing C&C 3 an hour ago.
At the core it's still C&C without a doubt, from what I've read C&C 4 is not, which is why I won't even bother playing it.
My biggest problem with it is that the SP missions are all over the place in terms of quality, and I'm saying that having played SC2 HotS and replayed WoL recently.
SC2 is simply consistent in what it does, even if it does mean that past a certain point every mission in HotS can be breezed through with 4 Hatcheries -> Roach/Hydra/Ultra up to 200/200 -> A-move into enemy base, even on Brutal (can't even remember building air units outside of the first mission that gives mutas). That was a major disappointment for me and replaying WoL just after that made it even worse. WoL can be almost unfairly hard on Brutal at times, I guess the feedback made them tone it down for HotS and they've botched it.
Now, a quick look at C&C 3. In all campaigns, in completely random order you can expect:
- missions impossible to beat without knowing what type of attack will come first,
- missions that can be easily broken by building a huge army before even getting the objective that activates the AI scripts,
- missions that break by themselves, where enemies simply drop their scripts and stop attacking you,
- hero missions, which unlike SC and SC2 present no challenge whatsoever, as once your hero unit reaches veteran status it's basically immortal,
- missions where you cap enemy bases and end up with so many special skills on the tab you won't even know what to click anymore,
- other broken crap,
- those few quality missions that brought back memories of Tib Dawn and Tib Sun, building up base defenses, building an army and knocking on the enemy's front door with your superweapon.
EDIT: Special mention for GDI's Berne mission, which despite having all the makings of one of those quality missions screws you over by breaking a bonus objective script if you save/load too early (and later on the Scrin just stopped attacking me as well).
On to RA 3 now.
Last edited by Belial on 05-20-13 at 00:52