Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Microsoft unveils the new Xbox machine

Ragnor said:

Sega was the only one that's put effort into the names. The vast majority of their systems had interesting names. Youve got the original three, the Master System, Megadrive(Genesis) and Game Gear which go well together. The Mega CD sounds less cool. THese names sound mostly generic now, but back then they were awesome, when the competiton was "Nintendo Entertainment System" a super version of it, and the weirdly named Turbografx(?) 16 (Amazingly named PC Engine in japan, how creative.)

AFter that, they got much more creative. Nomad for a portable Megadrive, the cancelled Pluto and Neptune and the Saturn, then their final offering, Dreamcast.

What did we get since then? Playstation, which will always sound terrible (A staation that you play on? Seriously?), Nintendo 64, Gamecube (Literally a cube that plays games. As creative as playstation) and the worst offender is he Xbox. Because it was LITERALLY named after a box that runs Direct X, and was the "Direct X Box" at one point

We wont even go there with Wii.

Ouya is the only name recently that sounds great.

Bah, all the creative examples you listed are equally as good (or dumb) as Sega's offerings.

And how the hell do you even pronouce Ouya, anyway?

I think naming things after planets or the last hope of the company is more creative than a cube that plays games, a station that you play on or a box that runs Direct X :p

Always online is confirmed.

Used game fee is also in.

From what I understand it's up to devs for "always online," but obviously you're going to have to be online to tie any of your games to your account to actually play it, at least the first time.

I actually think it dials home once a day.
Which isn't ALWAYS online, but it's the same idea and disenfranchises the same people.

Bucket said:

I actually think it dials home once a day.
Which isn't ALWAYS online, but it's the same idea and disenfranchises the same people.

Yeah, I had heard that too but I couldn't find an article about it.

Welp, they can't successfully lobby governments to make private and other secondhand sales illegal... yet... so they want to do the next best thing; attempt to financially strangle all secondhand sellers using their console. GameSpot and the other chains survive, but your local, non-chain enthusiast game store? Fucked.

Vermil said:

The box shaped consoles hardly began with the PS2. For instance the far older CDi was basically a box

Yeah, the design reminded me of the CDTV:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_CDTV

Of course those weren't really mean to be game consoles but "multimedia" devices (whatever that was supposed to be...)

Anyway, I'd much a regular Amiga 3000/25 with two floppies and HD than any of these slick/fancy A/V gear wannabe's. :-)

I didn't give a shit about 75% of the stuff they talked about.Sports games, cheap gimmicks? As a member of the PC Gamer Master Race, I hope it flops regardless. The only good thing about it is that PCs won't be held back for a while which means better graphics.

After more and more news has appeared, my thoughts can be summed up as:

99 problems; it starts with One

The fact that they talked about Kinect features and TV instead of games FIRST is very saddening.What are they thinking? Oh well, let them be awed by cheap gimmicks while I finish my beloved Black Mesa for the 8th time and play the best Doom WADs. A PC can do everything a console can and more.

Captain Red said:

Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights

Okay, how do I put this? I was greatful when you posted Retro City Rampage for me and everything... but now when I come link in hand so that I can be the cool guy for once, you come along an post it before me and steal my thunder. >:(

PS: Playstation 4 is looking so amazing right now. :P

RRUUAARRGGHH everything these companies are doing is terrible!!

I guess I'll try it.

40oz said:

RRUUAARRGGHH everything these companies are doing is terrible!!

I guess I'll try it.

You're the last person I would expect to see poking fun at others on this, considering all your vociferations about how modern gaming sucks. I remember them.

The only good thing about it is that PCs won't be held back for a while which means better graphics.

And thus ends the golden age of every other game running at 60 FPS on a mid-range PC.

I'll miss the playstation box 360 generation, despite having never used any of these consoles. Graphics were good enough in 2004, and animation improved to the point it's perfectly acceptable now (even on toyboxes).

More horsepower is likely to mean, for most developers, more pointless and hideous HDR/DOF/bloom/motion blur garbage, noisier textures, and bigger budgets spent on modelizing each gruffy manly man's beard hair in excruciating detail, so bigger results needed and less incentive to diverge from those terrible games selling so well.

On the other hand, we might have a few months of respite from that wankerific trend to make video games exclusively about storytelling, and shit stories at that. Lesser of two evils and all that... Right?

Nah. Who am I kidding. We'll get both. Deep and intricate story about fighting racism by ripping foreigner throats as a all-American Rottweiler in a floating island controlled by an unnamed Middle East country, but it'll turn out this is ironic and stuff because it's secretely a statement about our own desensitization to dog violence in video games, all the while you will direct the dog by biting yourself with new and improved Kinect technology, and watch your own reflection in the resulting tessellated pools of blood.

Wait, if my HD crashes will I have to pay the fucking fee to play my games again?

Are we at a point were we can't share our physical media disks? We're not making copies, we are lending the actual disk!

What about rentals?

Fuck me. I bet this shit is going to somehow switch over the Blu-ray.

The media industry wonders why we dislike them. Sadly, every "gamer" idiot out there will mumble and grumble and part their ass cheeks, regardless.

Technician said:

Are we at a point were we can't share our physical media disks? We're not making copies, we are lending the actual disk!

Yes. This has always been the end-goal of the DRM pushers: one license per person, not per copy.

We warned you a long time ago and you didn't listen back then. You kept accepting more and more restrictions on what you could do with your own property. Now it's not even considered your own property at all any more. It is an ephemeral download that must be installed and licensed (not sold) per user.

Now you will cry. Too little, too late. Everyone should have stood up and said a firm no when it all began. This latest generation of consoles is the biggest DRM-loaded fuckstorm on the planet thus far.

Fair use is dead. First sale is dead. Private property rights are dead. Long live the Intellectual Property regime, to whom everything we once owned now belongs.

Quasar said:

Yes. This has always been the end-goal of the DRM pushers: one license per person, not per copy.

We warned you a long time ago and you didn't listen back then. You kept accepting more and more restrictions on what you could do with your own property. Now it's not even considered your own property at all any more. It is an ephemeral download that must be installed and licensed (not sold) per user.

Now you will cry. Too little, too late. Everyone should have stood up and said a firm no when it all began. This latest generation of consoles is the biggest DRM-loaded fuckstorm on the planet thus far.

Fair use is dead. First sale is dead. Private property rights are dead. Long live the Intellectual Property regime, to whom everything we once owned now belongs.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Steam connection will soon become manditory for PC games to verify and register your disk so they can pull the same shit with us PC users.

Technician said:

Wait, if my HD crashes will I have to pay the fucking fee to play my games again?

It's been stated that Xbox One games are account based, not hard disk/console based, like WiiU virtual console.

You can sign onto your account from any Xbox One console; yours, your friends etc.

Quasar said:

Well, a person can have multiple copies. A copy can't have multiple users, unless they all crowd at the same computer. So I think it's quite good for the user, though not so useful for a community. I can use my app store downloads on multiple devices of mine, it's great.

Vermil said:

It's been stated that Xbox One games are account based, not hard disk/console based, like WiiU virtual console.

You can sign onto your account from any Xbox One console; yours, your friends etc.

As someone who still plays their SNES, I wounder how this is going to work ten to twenty years from now.

Technician said:

As someone who still plays their SNES, I wounder how this is going to work ten to twenty years from now.

Sweet, I thought I was the only one :bumpfist:

Technician said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a Steam connection will soon become manditory for PC games to verify and register your disk so they can pull the same shit with us PC users.

Isn't it basically that already? Any game that uses Steam for activation can only be used once. No one seems to be complaining that the used game market on the PC has been effectively dead for a few years now between Steam and limited activation DRM schemes.