Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Binary

How has your life changed since you first enrolled in the forums?

Hmm, let's see here:
1995(96?)-2000: Played Doom in singleplayer and LAN, and I played several pwads made at the time. I was very young then and I didn't even know what a gun was.
Late 2000: Real life issues (read: adoption) happened, and I haven't played any computer games for several years. I never forgot about Doom (along with some other games) though.
2005: Moved from southern to central California. Things became more laid-back, and I started playing on the computer again.
2006: Finally decided to pick up Doom 2. Still loved it, and I started mapping for it (too bad my early maps are gone).
2007: Joined the ST forums and became a regular online player.
2009: Joined the ZDoom and Doomworld forums, the latter of which I was inactive in until recently.
2010: Started using IRC. I joined DTWID's IRC channel back in May this year.

If anything, I regret not staying a part of the community (I feel like I missed a whole lot), but then again, I was very socially stunted back then, so it may not have been a good idea.

In short, I signed up in 2000 when I was an angsty 20 year-old who couldn't hold down a job. My dream was to make games, but I wasn't getting anywhere close to that, so I took to Doom level editing. Made Murderous Intent in that time because I was sadistic (and played Doom way too much).

I had to re-evaluate my life at one point after a couple of suicide attempts. I'm not too proud to admit it, but I was a major self-harmer back when and got shook up when a relationship of five years came crumbling around me (tl;dr version of it is "cheating bitch cheated on me all over the place").

Ended up institutionalized for a short spell, in which I made the decision to follow through on my game-designing ambition; enrolled in college, doing Multimedia with an eye on eventually studying games design at university.

However, THAT changed when I found myself in the company of people who had no clue what 'ludology' meant and a climate of games-that-want-to-be-movies. I'm a gameplay guy, I didn't want any of that shit. I found myself loving to make animated things in Flash as a sideline, so I took Animation at university instead.

Let me tell you, if this ain't the wrong country (the UK, for the record) to study animation in. Especially 2D animation. And so, I left university with about as many job prospects as I had a decade prior.

I came back to Doom editing in a similar situation to where I left; very little on the horizon, no luck with jobs, and a little depressed at the whole shebang. I don't hack myself up these days though, and I have a much more fulfilling relationship (with a big-time fetishist, it's kinda fun).

Some time between college and university I experimented with class A drugs, too. Boring as fuck, wouldn't do it again. Except amphetamines, but only as an extreme tool for Getting Shit Doneā„¢ if I needed to stay up for four days doing any particular one thing.

tl;dr version is same as rf` I guess. :3

• Graduated from college in 2002
  • Worked as a substitute teacher, and then a librarian assistant, for 4.5 years due to lack of better jobs
  • Lost my grandmother on my father's side to cancer, age 73.
  • Became a "Health IT" programmer in 2010
  • Got promoted to Software Engineer III and made acting department head (for about 6 months) after about a year
  • Bought a 2011 Mustang
  • Bought a house
  • Lost my cat Nikki, age 21.
  • Got two new kitties, Rhett and Ashley.
The only constant is having been single the whole time.

I used to be a retard who posted somewhat often. Now I'm a retard that barely posts.

My presence here on Doomworld was enough for:
-Dropped out of university, twice!
-Been in the hospital, twice!
-Three e-girlfriends
-Started smoking

Can't think of anything else. Sweet jesus, my life is boring.

I don't think I've been around long enough to have had any life changing effects. I mean, if I had something life changing, I think I'd have a custom title by now. Instead I just have a massive post count because of my forum spamming.

Maybe some internet maturity overall thanks to the level headed people here... Generally speaking.

Mostly just negative events, usually involving treachery of some form. Doomworld is an oddly neutral place to me, thus I keep hanging around. That and theres always new things for my favourite game.

I was a friggin' freshman in high school when I joined, now I'm 30. I don't even know where to begin with how much has changed in that time. It has been friggin' ages since I made a Doom level, though... think that's how I'll measure the time (dear God, was that really 2005? Kappa Base - 2005 - what the heck have I been doing with my life in the meantime?)

a) Bipolar disorder

b) A fairly insane creative output in several fields

c) The start of a promising relationship

d) Struggle to hold work, see a)

Jayextee said:

Made Murderous Intent in that time because I was sadistic (and played Doom way too much).

Well well this is a pleasant surprise! I remember literally stumbling across that map set many many years ago.. Pretty phenomenal level design coupled with a high tier challenge which didn't rely on Slaughter or Plutonia based gameplay.

I get to share Doom speedruns with the world bwahaha!

Khorus said:

a) Bipolar disorder

d) Struggle to hold work, see a)

Story of my fucking life.

*high-five, then crywank*

;)

Khorus said:

a) Bipolar disorder

Ditto. And if it's not too much, may I ask if you sometimes happen to start laughing uncontrollably, when under stress? This is starting to become more and more frustrating for me.

Jayextee said:

Story of my fucking life.

*high-five, then crywank*

;)

heh, I see what you did there. ;)

Binary said:

Ditto. And if it's not too much, may I ask if you sometimes happen to start laughing uncontrollably, when under stress? This is starting to become more and more frustrating for me.

No, nothing like that. I'll just suddenly have the energy and desire to go for 10km runs for a few days, be highly prolific and only get 1 hour sleep each night.

Khorus said:

No, nothing like that. I'll just suddenly have the energy and desire to go for 10km runs for a few days, be highly prolific and only get 1 hour sleep each night.

If I can interject with my own experiences in this; I see it as like two Photoshop filters. Kinda.

To explain, I never change. At least not inside, I don't feel like I change. To other people I may seem to, but that's because the way the world seems to me at the time changes, and I naturally react accordingly. During manic episodes, everything's awesome and I'm invincible and can do anything - shit, even the air around me smells good - and I love it, everything. Depressive episodes are what I've nicknamed 'the shit filter' as that's what everything becomes; everything's too much effort and not worth it in the end, my favourite things all annoy the fuck out of me and nobody wants to be around me and I'm miserable anyway so I can't blame them.

Different bipolar sufferers have different rhythms; I find I have a week high, a week middling out (or normal), a week low, then another normal week. It varies depending on the time of year (hot weather exaggerates both the highs and the lows, cold weather only exaggerates the lows) but I wouldn't change it for the world; those ultra-productive manic episodes are totally worth the rest. If I could bottle them and drink whenever I needed to get stuff done, I would.

Don't know if this is the same with Khorus or not, everyone experiences it differently.

Becoming an orfin at the age of 34, lost my mom last year dad died in '98. Bought a house and still have my job. Apart from that no significant changes.