Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Keyboard help

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
baronofheck82

All of a sudden, today, my down arrow on my keyboard decided to quit. Left, right and up work.
Down does not.
This makes hard to play Doom, as you might imagine, and it sucks in general, of course.
So, any suggestions?

Old Post 10-05-13 18:30 #
baronofheck82 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

WASD?

Old Post 10-05-13 18:36 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ribbiks

if I'm playing with keyboard only this is what I generally do:

W - forward
S - back
A - strafe left
D - strafe right
left - turn left
right - turn right
up - shoot
space - use

doesn't use the down arrow, which is convenient for your situation :)

Old Post 10-05-13 18:46 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Physically replacing one key with another helped me in a similar situation:
http://thumb6.wuala.com/previewImage/kuchitsu/Photo/gdhdf.png

Old Post 10-05-13 18:47 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

Ribbiks said:
left - turn left
right - turn right
up - shoot

So you're shooting with the middle finger? Or do you use your index for both turn left and shoot?

Even though it's counterintuitive, I'm doing "left - shoot, down - turn left, right - turn right" so I can shoot with my index and keep all three fingers on the keys and my hand in a rested position. Come to think of it, "left - shoot, up - turn left, right - turn right" would make more sense, the middle finger being longer.

Old Post 10-05-13 19:25 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ribbiks

left up right is index, middle, ring, respectively. your way sounds wonky :p

Old Post 10-05-13 20:06 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
SavageCorona

Use WSAD and mouse.

'ERE'S THE BLOODY LINK TO ME TWITTERS

Old Post 10-05-13 20:29 #
SavageCorona is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

The lefty approach seemed to be superior to all (mouse on the left, use the numpad for movement), but despite being a lefty I could never get used to it.

Old Post 10-05-13 21:45 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Just buy a new keyboard

Old Post 10-06-13 04:31 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
RTC_Marine

fraggle said:
Just buy a new keyboard

Yeah considering they are dirt cheap, a half-decent keyboard is around $15nzd (a logitech k120 btw)

Old Post 10-06-13 05:39 #
RTC_Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MFG38

As everybody else is saying, WASD or new keyboard.

Old Post 10-06-13 10:06 #
MFG38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

You could also combine the two and buy a WASD keyboard.

Old Post 10-07-13 02:31 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't get it. What's the difference between that and a "normal" keyboard? In that site it tells me that they are entirely customizable, but can't I do the same with a standard one? The only real difference I could notice was the lack of a numeric keypad on some of them. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Quote deleted, it wasn't necessary.

Old Post 10-07-13 05:58 #
Zed is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

Zed said:
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't get it. What's the difference between that and a "normal" keyboard? In that site it tells me that they are entirely customizable, but can't I do the same with a standard one? The only real difference I could notice was the lack of a numeric keypad on some of them. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Quote deleted, it wasn't necessary.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Basically, if you need keyboards that are fast, precise and loud as fuck you got to go for mechanical. In any other case, don't bother.

Old Post 10-07-13 07:26 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Just go to any junk/thrift store and buy any keyboard old enough NOT to have the "Windows Keys" on it*, and having a big-ass connector. Get an adapter, and hey presto, vintage keyboard Dooming The Way It Was Meant To Be (TM).

Spoiler:

* Exceptions apply: there were cheap-ass keyboards back then too, and there were better made keyboards even after that. You really have to weigh/try them to see which is which. IN general "good" keyboards will also be heavier

Old Post 10-07-13 07:39 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

Jodwin said:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Basically, if you need keyboards that are fast, precise and loud as fuck you got to go for mechanical. In any other case, don't bother.

That explains it properly. Thanks.

Maes said:
Dooming The Way It Was Meant To Be (TM).

This should be the title for the next community megawad.

Old Post 10-07-13 18:52 #
Zed is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

A number of years ago I ejaculated on my keyboard's arrow key and the board completely shorted out. I tried washing the goo out from under a faucets but to no avail. I've previously used this same technique when washing diet coke out of it, but semen? Nope.

True story.

Old Post 10-07-13 20:13 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

The closest I've been to that is when I puked all over my keyboard while drunk. I had to buy a new one. Did you manage to clean up the mess?

Old Post 10-07-13 20:45 #
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

If you're a gamer, I recommend getting an anti-ghosting keyboard, or at least one that can take at least ten key presses (non-numpad)at once.

Read this
and check out this.

Old Post 10-08-13 02:27 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote