Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

If you could make one FPS into an open world game...

Aliens Vs Predator (Actually done well)

But I could only see it really being entertaining, playing as the predator. It would be you, flying to different planets, looking for big game in the form of Xenomorphs, humans, and other types of creatures. You can start off as a young up-and-coming predator, trying to build a reputation. Along the way, you can collect more advanced weapons, and obtain better ships; whistles collecting a massive trophy room of skulls off of your prey.

Krispy said:

I have no clue what an open world game is and I'd like to keep it that way.

Nevertheless, I'll say Commander Keen.

Phobus said:

Failing that, Unreal. I mean the original, as that felt so epic when I played it through way back when, with such a rich world, that it may as well have been properly open.

At the very least, Unreal wholly deserves a remake. I didn't play very far, to a point where I got stuck and wandered a shitty dark hallway for a good hour before I gave up, but up to that point it was suitably a decent game that could have been done better. The whole first part with the prison transport ship and all that was bloody brilliant.

Kontra Kommando said:

Aliens Vs Predator (Actually done well)

But I could only see it really being entertaining, playing as the predator. It would be you, flying to different planets, looking for big game in the form of Xenomorphs, humans, and other types of creatures. You can start off as a young up-and-coming predator, trying to build a reputation. Along the way, you can collect more advanced weapons, and obtain better ships; whistles collecting a massive trophy room of skulls off of your prey.

Sega wanted to do an MMO. I think it can be done like Planetside. There's a push and pull over a planet or planets (but how would aliens get to other planets oh wait teleporter). Anyway, your uh species can control territory and push further into enemy territory while defending what you have. It could be a class based system. 6 classes for humans, 4 classes for predators, 4 types of aliens for aliens. The face hugger would offer up insta kills by face hugging, but be very fragile and can't climb walls. Heck if a player as a face hugger successfully kills a player.... then an xeno can spawn (facehugger player) from the dead body as a baby xeno and be fully grown in a minute (due to something explained in the story). It would probably have to be an overpowered xeno for the risk involved.

Humans can drive APCs as spawn points, Predators would have drop ships, aliens would have a queen. A player would take control of APCs, drop ships or queens then once they are in place, they become a spawn point and you take control of your bipedal species again.

The maps would have to be good for ground, air and caves. Areas that benefit humans, xenos and predators have either or. Day and night cycle would be helpful too. Since Predators would have drop ships, the humans would have airships as well along with surface to air guns, just not drop ships. What would the aliens have? Nothing, but don't spend too much time fighting in the air or the aliens will just gleefully go in some tunnel and in your base killing your doods. Oh and aliens can always high jump up to the aircraft and damage / destroy the airships. Maybe a targeted jump that instantly puts you on the belly of the airship, then they claw it until its at 90% damage and at 90% damage the pilot and xenos have 5 seconds to jump off before it explodes killing everything. Of course the xenos can keep attacking and blow up with it. No biggy.

Anyway, I'm just throwing out ideas. There is probably a lot of holes in these ideas.

Typing shit > boredom.

Talking about hexen: I really hope somebody makes a remake of hexen or completely new hexen and heretic games. I miss dark fantasy themed fps.

Doom would be pretty cool as an open-world game, if it was like an FPS version of DoomRL with randomly generated maps.

Canofbacon said:

Has anyone ever made an open world Doom 2 WAD?

I had a concept for a project like that once, but I scrapped it.

Nomad said:

At the very least, Unreal wholly deserves a remake. I didn't play very far, to a point where I got stuck and wandered a shitty dark hallway for a good hour before I gave up, but up to that point it was suitably a decent game that could have been done better. The whole first part with the prison transport ship and all that was bloody brilliant.

I agree with this. You should go back and play Unreal though - Unreal Gold, all ready-patched and working lovely on modern systems is available on Steam and Gog. There is so much awesome architecture and style in that game, loads of cool different environments which look so alien. I'd love to see a true remake of it, but I fear it would end up being a bland grey corridor affair, instead of the great colourful adventure of exploration that was Unreal. Unreal 2 got some of the environments right, but the whole artsyle was plagued by that awful chunky armor thing that UT2003 started, and it looked bad.

Also, Open World Doom ala Borderlands piques my interest. I could see that being interesting if done right. Problem is if it were ever attempted, it would not be done right.

I think I remember some designer wanting to see a Quake 2 open world game, where you're just dropped into Stroggos and your only objective is to assassinate the Makron, which can be completed in several ways.

I always thought the Stroggos in Quake 2 could be an interesting setting for an open-world game.

Rohit_N said:

I think I remember some designer wanting to see a Quake 2 open world game, where you're just dropped into Stroggos and your only objective is to assassinate the Makron, which can be completed in several ways.

I always thought the Stroggos in Quake 2 could be an interesting setting for an open-world game.

Would have been so much better than the mediocre Doom clone that it was.

Has anyone ever tried to stitch all of the E1 maps together?

AirRaid said:

You should go back and play Unreal though - Unreal Gold, all ready-patched and working lovely on modern systems is available on Steam and Gog. There is so much awesome architecture and style in that game, loads of cool different environments which look so alien.

And with the unofficial patches, you can still play co-op and deathmatch!

Bucket said:

Has anyone ever tried to stitch all of the E1 maps together?
And with the unofficial patches, you can still play co-op and deathmatch!

All of the Doom 2 maps got stitched together a while back if that counts.

DooM_RO said:

and add monorails/trams between exits to make it more connected!

Trollbait ;-)

I think I've got one that could make a FPS open world game easy.... Killing Floor. There is already a wide array of community made weapons, enemies and levels. Just give each group of enemies their own turf. Litter the world with weapons. You don't even need a vehicle so much as a merchant to talk to that will teleport you like Morrowind. If you don't use fast travel services, good luck, because enemies will constantly spawn around you as you walk.