Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Doomguy`s helmet is here!

Now we just need some drill sergeant to admit the old cliche that all the yelling and training is not because they are worried about the soldiers' survival -which are expendable-, but about the multi-million dollar gear they are wearing.

It so needs to be in green!

Maybe a jungle warfare set will be more like Doom Guy.

I wonder if the hud can be made to look like this

It would need a forward facing camera so you can see the look of your face when in various battle situations. Also a weapon identification system so it can list what weapons you have...along with ammo amount I guess.

Finally a sensor to check your health and armour.

NICE :)

Edit - also need a mini map system...maybe they can plug in Google maps for that :)

I suppose there'll be an icon on the HUD to notify the wearer of voicemail messages from their nearest and dearest.

GreyGhost said:

I suppose there'll be an icon on the HUD to notify the wearer of voicemail messages from their nearest and dearest.

It should play D_READ_M while you read your emails.

bcwood16 said:

Finally a sensor to check your health and armour.

Not really sure you can gauge your health capacity. Maybe the integrity of your armour though.

GreyGhost said:

Should be like the Serious Sam notification.

SavageCorona said:

Not really sure you can gauge your health capacity. Maybe the integrity of your armour though.

Biometrics & an expert system (or even a kind of remote telemetry with a medical officer assessing it in real time) might work for assessing general health status and presence of grave wounds (e.g. high heart rate with low blood volume and dropping core temperature: probably you have a few extra holes in you) but if a soldier is shot, he probably needs no HUD to tell him that (though he might learn if he has substained paralyzing or permanent injuries without being medevaced, or if he can treat them himself).

Obviously it won't be a single number like "43%" or "73%" health. E.g. if you get a limb shot off, how much % is that? Now, I know there's a system which determines how much of your work or combat ability you lose with each type of illness, injury or permanent infermity, but again...will it really please you to know that e.g. two burning flesh wounds in your left arm leave you still "60% combat capable"? It's not really gonna be a pleasant thought *grin*

Being stuck at 1% health could be annoying! You would have to be really careful getting to the first aid box, making sure you dont stub your toe on a rock, bend your finger too much on the med pack zipper or prick your self on a needle....instant death!

bcwood16 said:

Being stuck at 1% health could be annoying! You would have to be really careful getting to the first aid box, making sure you dont stub your toe on a rock, bend your finger too much on the med pack zipper or prick your self on a needle....instant death!

Well, in games like Battlefield 2 they handwaved that by allowing you to be revived infinite times if "critically wounded", as long as there was a medic with a defibrillator nearby. As if getting shot and caught in mortar blasts didn't cause anything more inconvenient than a momentary passing out (OK, there were exceptions, but I won't digress).

And let's not even speak about regenerating health...that one is actually more realistic from a medical point of view than instantly healing (well, the human body DOES heal and repair itself!) but it might take more than just a few seconds to catch your breath if you're dealing with broken bones, torn flesh etc.

Clonehunter said:

It should just play the whole soundtrack in general.

Would IDMUS## cheats work?

bcwood16 said:

It so needs to be in green!

Doomguy's helmet wasn't green, though, but it might look pretty cool if it was a darker shade of green.

Sure all those homos at haloworld are saying the same thing

Well, to be honest it doesn't look very different than a motocross helmet with a frontal camera attachment.

40oz said:

Sure all those homos at haloworld are saying the same thing

Yeah, fuck Gaylo for stealing the Doomguy's design.

Now we just need upperbody armor matching the helmet design. The armor would have needle inside supplying wearer with diffrent drugs for diffrent situations like injecting morphine for pain relief or giving fentanyl etc.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Doomguy isn't a morphine addict like Gordon Freeman.

NO, BUT HE HAS A HANDFUL OF VERTEBRAE AND A HEADFUL OF MAD

Holy crap. American taxes finally working on something really awesome.

Piper Maru said:

But does it have an automap feature?

It said that it has an Android phone system. Probably it has a GPS-like stuff, so, yes.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Holy crap. American taxes finally working on something really awesome.

A motocross helmet with embedded google glasses? You're way too easy to please.

Also, automap presumably worked by mapping unknown environments based on what you observed visually, which is a bit a lot more complex than downloading ready-made maps from a data link and positioning yourself with GPS. I saw an Android app which can sort of turn photos of halls and corridors into a crude .DXF (AutoCAD) 2D drawing, but it's really limited, worse than a 1994 PWAD, and by no means real-time.

Doomguy's automap also works in HELL, away from anything remotely resembling a network of GPS satellites or even mobile phone towers.

Next thing we know we'll have matching Rad-suits and Soulspheres and we'll be fighting through toxic waste left behind for our children, and our children's children. Oh the humanity!

Maes said:

Doomguy's automap also works in HELL, away from anything remotely resembling a network of GPS satellites or even mobile phone towers.

I see no problem with that. GPS technology was probably developed in Hell (along with RFID tagging) as a means of keeping track of the sinners.

What about battery? Does it have to be recharged every night? What if you don't have access to a power socket or mains power is down?

GreyGhost said:

I see no problem with that. GPS technology was probably developed in Hell (along with RFID tagging) as a means of keeping track of the sinners.

Well, they are "sinners" by christian standards. I think the devil (Satan, Beelzebub, whatever), will not consider them sinners, since a sin is dependent of the rules you choose to follow. So, if you follow the "rules" of "Satan", I can't see a reason for Satan to consider that a sin, since you are already following his will.

printz said:

What about battery? Does it have to be recharged every night? What if you don't have access to a power socket or mains power is down?

Presumably they might throw a solar panel attached somewhere on the uniform or harness, or add a hand-cranking charger and multiple batteries as part of the G.I.'s standard issue. Of course, it would be the responsability of each soldier to keep his reserve of batteries charged at all times and rotate them as needed. Lithium batteries would also make great improvised incendiary devices ;-)

E.g. is it sunny? Then put them on the solar and be patient, and don't let your ass be caught battery-less for the night. No sun? Then you'll crank during resting periods, but if he's in an organized camp, there's no need to do either, as there will inevitably be power.

Why not just plaster the helmet with enough solar cells to power an Android AND trickle charge the battery - even on a cloudy day.

Zed said:

Well, they are "sinners" by christian standards. I think the devil (Satan, Beelzebub, whatever), will not consider them sinners, since a sin is dependent of the rules you choose to follow. So, if you follow the "rules" of "Satan", I can't see a reason for Satan to consider that a sin, since you are already following his will.

So Hell is the sinner's Heaven? I've never thought of it that way. Curse you Dante, you and your nine levels!

GreyGhost said:

Why not just plaster the helmet with enough solar cells to power an Android AND trickle charge the battery - even on a cloudy day.

It will probably ruin the camouflage painting.

GreyGhost said:

So Hell is the sinner's Heaven? I've never thought of it that way. Curse you Dante, you and your nine levels!

Well, I always rationalized that Satanists must aim at being somebody in Hell rather than nobody in Heaven -actually, the way Christian scriptures are written, they make Salvation sound like something practically unattainable for most people, who will end up being kicked out of Heaven AND be treated like shit in Hell.

Must better (and presumably easier) to work your way for a prestigious career in Hell -start off as sympathizer/wannabe Satanist, work your way up as a true Satan Believer and Worshipper, and then in the Afterlife you can become a Demon Candidate, then Demon Assistant (carrying around the Demons' pitchforks and torture implements, running errands for them etc.), and receive benefits like flame-proof uniforms, the right assist torturing the Damned, etc. until you finally make it to Probatory Demon and then finally become a Junior Demon, receive your Wings, Pitchfork and tail and be assigned your own personal Damned to torment (hey who knows, maybe you'll get to torture somebody you didn't like in life, FOREVER!) and work your way up to the higher levels of corporate Hell's hierarchy.