Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Claim Left 4 Dead 2 free for Christmas

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Infirnex
Mini-Member

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550

Throughout all of today, you can claim Left 4 Dead 2 for free permanently. If you don't own the game already I suggest doing this now; a great game at no cost.

Even if you don't plan on playing it, you claim it permanently so there isn't any harm done.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old Post 12-25-13 20:16 #
Infirnex is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomhuntress
Forum Regular

i suppose this is the reason why the Steam Community here's not working at all, then.

Old Post 12-25-13 20:34 #
Doomhuntress is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

Steam must be desperate to sell games.

Old Post 12-25-13 20:42 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

I can't touch the Steam store at all right now. Nothing but error code -118. That's even crazier than when GOG gave away Fallout a few weeks ago.

Old Post 12-25-13 20:54 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Infirnex
Mini-Member

I thought it was just me (my internet is currently experiencing heavy traffic), but that would explain it.

The store - both in Steam and the webpage, is completely clogged.

Old Post 12-25-13 20:59 #
Infirnex is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomhuntress
Forum Regular

i feel the need to question how anyone is going to benefit from this free giveaway when the place to get it is down and all. :P

Old Post 12-25-13 21:28 #
Doomhuntress is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Infirnex
Mini-Member

Doomhuntress said:
i feel the need to question how anyone is going to benefit from this free giveaway when the place to get it is down and all. :P

Well when I posted it I thought the Steam store was mainly isolated to me. I was having connection issues in a lot of other sites as well, including some that stopped working; I presumed steam was the same fate.

The give away, if IIRC, doesn't end until 10:00 AM PST 12/26, so at the very least everyone has time. This has happened before with Steam (I vividly remember it happening with Portal).

Old Post 12-25-13 21:32 #
Sokoro

Poor people who bought it for money... like me for example.

Why does ID software not take an example from it and give UD and Final Doom for free at 25th ? and even at its 20th birthday ?
ah I guess it is because they got swallowed by bethesda..

Old Post 12-25-13 21:39 #
Sokoro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

So it's until 1 PM EST on 12/26 then, enough time for most here.

Old Post 12-25-13 21:41 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Sokoro said:
Poor people who bought it for money... like me for example.

Why does ID software not take an example from it and give UD and Final Doom for free at 25th ? and even at its 20th birthday ?
ah I guess it is because they got swallowed by bethesda..

Bethesda does things like that, though. Arena and Daggerfall are both perpetually free. I suspect the part of Zenimax that swallowed Id realizes Doom still makes a pile of money whereas the old TES games are less accessible and don't have source code to port to everything.

Old Post 12-25-13 22:03 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
grouchbag

Got it on the third try.

Old Post 12-26-13 00:39 #
grouchbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Infirnex
Mini-Member

The servers seem to be back online; got it for some people already.

So it's safe to check now :P

Old Post 12-26-13 01:24 #
geo
Forum Staple

Yeah I bought it for $5 everything is $5 or less to me. Russians got it for less than that.

If TF2 and DOTA 2 doesn't bring people in, why would L4D2? Its still generous of them.

Old Post 12-26-13 03:10 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Got it, thanks for the heads up!

Old Post 12-27-13 00:40 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

geo said:
Steam must be desperate to sell games.

I interpret it more as "customer appreciation," but I do understand that some people probably feel boned for losing out by having had paid for it.

Old Post 12-27-13 01:48 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quast
insert title here

Nomad said:
I interpret it more as "customer appreciation," but I do understand that some people probably feel boned for losing out by having had paid for it.

I wouldn't, I paid full price for l4d and l4d2 and making it free for life for a day doesn't bother me at all. In fact it's been fun as there have been tons of games in the past couple days with lots of new people playing and I enjoy playing with them and helping them learn the basics.

Old Post 12-27-13 03:34 #
Quast is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Stygian

Missed it! I guess I lucked out on free Fallout 1 and 2.

Old Post 12-27-13 03:37 #
Stygian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

I played l4d2 and l4d games back in the days till i got bored and havent touched them in years

Old Post 12-27-13 08:43 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

I tried the game out for a bit. It runs at a barely acceptable framerate on minimal settings on this laptop. I might monkey around with .cfg files later...

Old Post 12-27-13 08:51 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

L4D2 has surpassed TF2 in terms of players at once >> http://steamcharts.com/app/550#All

Everyone and their alt account is idling L4D2 for the cards to sell. That and the Ellis Hat.

Steam is starting to get bad with phishers. I get about 4 attempts a day now. Steam won't do shit when it can easily filter out when someone links sites like stEAEmcommunity or steamNcommunity.

Last edited by geo on 12-27-13 at 13:02

Old Post 12-27-13 12:54 #
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

geo said:
Steam is starting to get bad with phishers. I get about 4 attempts a day now. Steam won't do shit when it can easily filter out when someone links sites like stEAEmcommunity or steamNcommunity.

Emails? Messages? This is new to me, I've never seen a single one.

Quast said:

I wouldn't, I paid full price for l4d and l4d2 and making it free for life for a day doesn't bother me at all. In fact it's been fun as there have been tons of games in the past couple days with lots of new people playing and I enjoy playing with them and helping them learn the basics.

That's the spirit! I already had it, but I know a couple of my friends were excited to have some new blood to enjoy the game with.

We played some L4D1 last night and it was pretty entertaining, especially since I hadn't played it before and the host decided to put it on advanced. We got to the last level in the first campaign and on our final attempt we were down to two people and killed the second tank while I was down and while we thought we were in the clear and one friend was about to revive me, he got dragged away by a smoker. Never felt more cheated in my life!

Old Post 12-27-13 16:58 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Get Psyched!

Yeah. Missed it. Wasn't too happy.

Old Post 12-27-13 17:12 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geekmarine

Heh, I picked up L4D2 on Black Friday not long after it came out. I don't see the problem with people getting it for free, though. After all, the game is a few years old, and things like this are great for getting new people into the game and extending its shelf life. That's just my take, though, being someone who gets bummed out when he tries to play a multiplayer game only to find out no one plays it anymore and the servers are all empty.

Old Post 12-27-13 17:53 #
geekmarine is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Infirnex
Mini-Member

I am actually happy it went free. Before I only had me and my brother, but now I have a full party to play with. I'm also glad that Steam does do stuff like that.

Old Post 12-27-13 22:05 #
geo
Forum Staple

Nomad said:

Emails? Messages?

Messages. Maybe its from my playing TF2 too much.

Old Post 12-28-13 06:09 #
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Well thank God I got it as a gift before-hand. But my cousin nabbed it here, so now it looks like everything even outs in the end.

Old Post 12-28-13 21:43 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote