Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Your opinions and predictions on Steam Machine

Well, surprise-surprise, Alienware doesn't seem to get it either. Combine the "worst" aspect of consoles (no hardware updates) with the short shelf life of PC components and you get this thing. They just need to reveal the average specs and price tag now.

I'm sure consumers will be happy to pay for one of these every year, versus buying a console that's guaranteed to run games released three years from now just as well as ones released today.

Why would you buy a new Alienware console every year? Your hardware isn't going to become less powerful just because there's a new iteration of the machine, nor are developers going to develop games based on the Alienware specs and the Alienware specs alone.

It's like saying you have to upgrade your GPU every 2 months, everytime a newer, faster one is released.

I just helped my friend buy his own machine to be a Steam Machine without the trademark. 12 GB DDR3, 1 TB, 3.2gHz intel dual core, small form factor. $300 + $20 wifi adapter.

Phml said:

Why would you buy a new Alienware console every year? Your hardware isn't going to become less powerful just because there's a new iteration of the machine, nor are developers going to develop games based on the Alienware specs and the Alienware specs alone.

It's like saying you have to upgrade your GPU every 2 months, everytime a newer, faster one is released.

It's more a matter of principle than anything. No, you don't have to buy a new one every year just because one was released. But you're losing both the advantage of a PC (being able to swap components any time you wish) and the advantage of a console (fixed spec that won't change for years, so no need to upgrade). At some point, you're going to have to upgrade, and that'll require buying a whole new box.

These Steamboxes are trying to fill a niche that doesn't exist. They offer nothing over a normal PC, and in this case actually offer less.

Now if Alienware somehow makes the first model powerful enough that it'll hold up over the lifespan of the new consoles and provide an experience on-par with them, it's no big deal. I don't see that happening, though. You're probably going to have to upgrade to a better Steambox before you'll upgrade to a PS5/Xbox -stupid name here-. Or just buy/build a normal PC, which is definitely the smarter option.

fraggle said:

a lot

This.

doomgargoyle said:

I think the steam machine/gabecube will fail hard. It will be a catastrophy.

Same opinion here.

Doom Marine said:

Remember how bad Steam was back in the early 2000's? Look how far it's progressed.

The Steam Machine has potential to become a disruptive technology and a real threat to the next generation of consoles.

A real threat indeed.
And if there is no consoles then there is no God of War,Tekken and other games that i like and enjoy.
If the Playstation is ruined by this then Valve is gonna be in serious troubles with Sony,its legion of fans and me.

MajorRawne said:

Having done absolutely zero research on this Steam Machine due to lack of interest, I speak from the usual point of ignorance:

Who the fuck is going to buy a Steam Machine when they can have an XBox One, PS4 or powerful PC for similar price, but have access to more than just Steam games?

While I use Steam on my PC due to there being no other choice to play certain games - and due to occasionally generous bundle deals on Steam - I've got zero reason to give those grasping buggers any more of my money than they've already had.

Oh, and as for Doom on Steam - fuck Steam for making it a pain in the arse to play the Master Levels in a source port. Oh well, the PSX Lost Levels renders it moot; you haven't played Doom until you've had coloured lighting and the Toxin Refinery music.

So yeah, I don't really support the Steam Machine, especially since its name makes it sound like something from the dark ages.

Exactly.
That's why i prefer Sony Playstations and my pc over those GabeCubes.

Neither i support the GabeCube(Steam Machine as Valve calls it),so i guess we are two now.