Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > GBA Doom

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joe667

So, I played a lot of GBA Doom a few years ago and I have to say it has a different feel. Obviously the different levels (E3M1 was the only one I saw outside the internet, where I saw the boss levels) are there but I'm also talking about the music - Donna To The Rescue in my opinion fits the hell theme better than its original PC counterpart with the weirder notes and GBA E2M1 was the first version of E2M1 I ever saw and the music really fits the episode name, The Shores of Hell.

What GBA music conversions do you think sound better than the PC versions?

Last edited by Joe667 on 02-12-14 at 16:47

Old Post 02-09-14 17:15 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joe-ilya

The healer stalks
Running from Evil
Sandys city
Waiting for Romero to play
Intermission song
Text song
Doom
Message for the archvile
Dave Tailor blues

You should move this to the 'Doom General' forum instead.

Old Post 02-09-14 17:19 #
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

I havent played GBA Doom for a while, gotta play it again when I got time

Old Post 02-09-14 18:58 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

None. The GBA sound hardware is complete shit.

Old Post 02-09-14 19:21 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Yeah I just turned music off in these ports. And GBA Doom's music order is stupid, someone just goofed and bumped all of the PC tracks up one map. Quality work.

Old Post 02-09-14 21:18 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FuzzballFox

Technician said:
None. The GBA sound hardware is complete shit.

Not always~ It's not the hardware that matter's it's how the music is composed for the hardware that matters..

But the GBA versions of the Doom music...Well...
It's different that's for sure~

Doom II's though has some nice sounding stuff- if you excuse the lower bitrate samples there is some nice stuff going on~

Last edited by FuzzballFox on 02-09-14 at 23:26

Old Post 02-09-14 23:20 #
FuzzballFox is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Brusle

Gba's doom tunes are alright albeit misplaced in order, atleast it's better than the fart music in 32x.

I really like the instrument choice in "in the dark", not better but a nice alternative to the original

Old Post 02-09-14 23:56 #
Brusle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

I dont mind GBA Doom music for the most part. The typical nintendo censorship I DO have an issue with.

Old Post 02-10-14 00:52 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Oh no, green blood! It had nothing to do with Nintendo and everything with shooting for a T rating.

Old Post 02-10-14 01:45 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

The first version of the original Doom and Doom 2 I ever played were the GBA ones however only via emulator. :P But the first ever Doom I ever played was Doom 64.

Old Post 02-10-14 02:07 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

Dragonsbrethren said:
Oh no, green blood! It had nothing to do with Nintendo and everything with shooting for a T rating.

I don't think it had "nothing" to do with Nintendo. I think they did their darnedest to discourage development of M rated games for GBA because they wanted to focus on marketing it like a toy. See every game magazine ad printed during that time for reference, showing some ~10 year old kid with one.

According to ESRB only nine games in the entire GBA library were rated M.

Old Post 02-10-14 02:09 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

Seeing people play mortal kombat on the gba when it first came out gave me a boner

Old Post 02-10-14 02:26 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

Dragonsbrethren said:

Kaiser to the rescue

Old Post 02-10-14 05:19 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Piper Maru

the green blood looks cool. reminds me of that movie Predator!

Old Post 02-10-14 07:51 #
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomhuntress
Forum Regular

i haven't played much of GBA Doom or 2, even though i do own the second game on GBA (which seems to be a bootleg copy with a busted save battery...).

i will say something, however, from the amount of what i played of the first GBA Doom. what the hell happened to the time signatures of those songs? seriously. O_o

Doom 2's soundtrack seems to be more "accurate" in that regard, although different sounding due to the samples and the low quality of the sound hardware. Fuzzball's example sounds pretty cool.

personally i don't mind the sound quality and most games developed on GBA seems to have mostly good-sounding music on them. often it's the ports that suffers from this (i'm looking at you, Mother 2!), but GBA Doom did an okay job with it all things considered.

Old Post 02-10-14 16:32 #
Doomhuntress is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I liked GBA Doom 1 a lot. It was the first portable Doom that I played. It was pretty difficult because of no mouse, and some monsters -- particularly the Cacodemon -- seemed to be faster as well. The desaturated colours and green blood gave the game a raw feel. And I really liked the E3M1 replacement, tougher than the PC E3M1.

Old Post 02-10-14 22:41 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
buttspit

Yeah I like the GBA Doom games, especially Doom II. The music in the first game isn't bad; it's quite tolerable and sometimes catchy.

Old Post 02-10-14 23:01 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

Quasar said:

I don't think it had "nothing" to do with Nintendo. I think they did their darnedest to discourage development of M rated games for GBA because they wanted to focus on marketing it like a toy. See every game magazine ad printed during that time for reference, showing some ~10 year old kid with one.

According to ESRB only nine games in the entire GBA library were rated M.

Well I dont know why Nintendo did not censor Wolfenstein on the GBA like they did with SNES version

Old Post 02-11-14 00:40 #
Doominator2 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
StupidBunny
Forum Regular

I always liked the GBA version of MAP10. It somehow sounds more grinding and eerie than the original, almost like low-fi guitar at parts. It's especially interesting to me because I've listened to pretty much all the GBA tracks and that's the only one I consider an improvement. The rest are pretty meh.

Old Post 02-11-14 06:37 #
StupidBunny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote