Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Stack Exchange discussion thread

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:38. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Katamori
Forum Staple

Who knows Stack Overflow? It's a great and free Q&A site for programming-related questions.

Well, its maintainers have created a whole Q&A site engine called Stack Exchange. Now it has a lot of other sites, for covering a lot of topic and themes. And I'm not joking by saying "a lot".

I recommend this site for everyone, because I found the "engine" itself pretty awesome, movitating and a great implementation of community moderating.

Do you know Stack Exchange? What do you think about the system?

Also, I'd like to invite space fans for Space Exploration.SE. :P

CYBERCRAFT: A cyberpunk RPG for LÍVE

Old Post 02-11-14 22:46 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

It's impossible not to know Stack Exchange unless the only things you look for in search engines are reality TV stars antics or w/e. :) I only know the site from the individual answer pages Google spits out, but it seems to offer better results than any other big profile Q/A website, so that's good. I get the feel there's some dubious policies, i.e. "power users" seem to have the power to close topics and often do so even though the question wasn't fully answered (which is always a terrible idea, as it bloats search engine results for years to come), but overall your assessment of its community moderation feels accurate. It beats the competition, if nothing else.

Old Post 02-11-14 23:18 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katamori
Forum Staple

Phml said:
It's impossible not to know Stack Exchange unless the only things you look for in search engines are reality TV stars antics or w/e. :)

Actually, I've never used it until last year's March. :D don't worry, I hate reality shows. :P

Last edited by Katamori on 02-11-14 at 23:54

Old Post 02-11-14 23:27 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

Heh, Phml is definitely exaggerating, I've only ever stumbled upon this site by searching C++ and math related stuff, and I'm not sure if that was this exact site or maybe a similar one.

Old Post 02-11-14 23:58 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

Half the time I search a question on there, the more interesting the question, the more likely it will be 'closed' by moderators due to some lame reason. Just moderators, aka trolls, messing up the internet like usual. These types of sites allow the elites to profit while building the "semantic web" so they can unleash their technological cube shooting boss demon AI to gobble up all the information and trigger the singularity. Then we will all have to play doom2 in real life!

Old Post 02-12-14 00:13 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katamori
Forum Staple

gggmork & Avoozl: I think the mentality you have experience on Stack Overflow is not the general behaviour on all SE sites. Guys on Space Exploration SE are quite kind, as I experienced it.

Old Post 02-12-14 01:14 #
geo
Forum Staple

Oh I know it quite well. Its a good place. Google shows them all the time.

Old Post 02-12-14 01:51 #
geo is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote