Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Doomers That Disappeared

zap610 said:

And what did Death-Destiny do again? I completely forgot about it.

The Constriction 1024 debacle, which starts to unravel from about this point.

Dunno what you're trying to accomplish here j4, but I guess it cannot be good for those who enjoy the guy's maps.

On topic, I miss Qaatar and Okuplok. Their demos are always very polished and particularly impressive.

Edit : And kimo_xvirus, too.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Dunno what you're trying to accomplish here j4, but I guess it cannot be good for those who enjoy the guy's maps.

I don't see much of a point being on a sacred pilgrimarage anymore with posts like these lying around.

Obsidian: From looking at his levels, obviously it's Darkwave0000. Wilou once said that we should keep this fact secret in fear that DD will quit again if he is found out. I kind of understood him at the time but honestly, I got tired of hiding the OMG SO OBVIOUS truth very quickly. It's like the elephant in the room analogy, how can you not mention him least once? So yeah, whatever, if the guy quits again just of some silly posts like this one... it's his problem. But I personally encourage him to not shy away from some drama that happened like 6 years ago I think.

Obsidian said:

You can find Ichor there occasionally as well, I believe.

He is? I always wondered what happened to him.

dew said:

What's the irc client? Whatever, heh. If you're extra lazy and use firefox like myself, just get the chatzilla extension.
Then connect to irc.oftc.net, join #zdoom and have all the conversation about buttcoin and guns (once BBG gets unbanned) you can handle!

I've been in there for a few hours now and it seems to be quite dead, probably not the best time to be there or something.

Obsidian: From looking at his levels, obviously it's Darkwave0000.

Like vdgg said in that other thread, I find enough discrepancies between the two mapping styles to not be so sure.

It looks very, very similar visually; but as for gameplay, Darkwave0000 maps tend to be relaxed and lenient, with high monster counts but also many resources, large layouts and monsters allowed to move a fair bit. UV is a breeze for anyone with experience with slaughter maps.

Death-Destiny maps are much more punishing, another level of difficulty entirely. Layouts are generally more restrictive, even rooms that seem big at first aren't so much, due to monster placement, impassable lines or structures in the way. Monster behavior feels more controlled as well, with ample usage of monster towers and teleports.

It's interesting to look at teleports in particular. If you open the maps in editors, Death-Destiny built teleporters in a very particular way, putting each monster in its own square of teleport lines. Darkwave0000 maps use much more traditional setups, big closets and big lines.

Similarly, in editors you can see Darkwave0000 maps often have monsters placed in ranks, and almost always snap to the 32 grid. In Death-Destiny maps each monster seems to be placed individually, and those snapping to the grid are, in most maps, the exception rather than the rule.

Of course, it's possible his mapping changed over time, or that he took steps to obfuscate his identity. But from his mapping as well as his posting, I get the feeling Death-Destiny was very passionate to the point he wanted control of every little detail, and it just doesn't strike me as the kind of personality to do a 180° and adopt entirely different mapping practices. Especially going from tightly controlled stuff, the ideal solution from a perfectionist perspective, to much more loose structures characteristic of Darkwave0000 maps.

(...It'd be fun if I was wrong, though.)

Memfis said:

So yeah, whatever, if the guy quits again just of some silly posts like this one... it's his problem. But I personally encourage him to not shy away from some drama that happened like 6 years ago I think.

Considering how long Doomworld drama can run and the fact that there's currently a thread discussing another forum outcast, I can understand if Death-Destiny (or whatever he now calls himself) prefers to no longer be associated with that member account.

He also sometimes makes midis for his own maps just like DD did, and imo they are quite similar in style. I think the difference between his DD and DW maps is definitely an attempt to obfuscate his identity or just a change in style, but who knows. Of course I'm also not 100% sure. :)

Catoptromancy said:

#dmclub

[18:25] * You were kicked from #dmclub by ChanServ (This channel is forbidden and may not be used)
STILL? Either OFTC admins have a long memory and hate the Doom community, or a short memory and forgot to remove the ban, heh.

Richard R. Ward, the author of the RRWARD## wads (1994-95). Wished he made at least one more giant map for UDoom.

@ DD / DW000:

I came to the same conclusion as phml, would be funny and neat if true but I'm not convinced. There's a lot of differences in DB tendencies that seem subtle enough such that if it was indeed a deliberate effort to obfuscate the "old" DD style, then I'm damn impressed (e.g. the aforementioned tele and voodoo closet construction is altered, the thing placement is different wrt grids, etc). Besides, didn't Joshy mention somewhere that while making SoD they exchanged ideas and favorite wads etc, including DD maps and other hard/slaughtery stuff? If darkwave was supposedly making such conscious efforts to distance himself from DD, why on earth would many of his SoD maps have such obvious influences? Overall it feels like he's just a fan of the style, took the basic ideas and added his own twists here and there.

Perhaps a case could be made considering the additional coincidences (midi customization, DDs DW disappearance date ~= darkwave registered on newdoom, etc), but whatever. I mostly just wish we had more brutally difficult maps in that style being made nowadays :p

Lizardcommando said:

I always wondered what happened to Fodders, DOOM Anomaly and Dunbar (the original Lizardcommando/Lizard Squad fanboy lol).

DoomUK said:

DuckReconMajor, dsm, eargoesdown... where art thou?

I see Dunbar on Facebook occasionally. I also see eargoesdown there, as well as on Steam.

A few people I can think of who've gone away suddenly that I wouldn't mind see come back:

AgentSpork
Anders Astrand
Cephaler
Chrozoron
cph
jj
RedRover
SargeBaldy

Ribbiks said:

Now for something completely unrelated, I'd really like to see you try doing a map where your main focus would be to create something impossibly difficult to associate with any of your previously made maps, as if trying to take on different identity.

Yeah, some people think that their personal life is more important than doom! They are not true doomers.

This raises a question:
Should people be forced to play doom and participate in the community?

I still wonder what happened to HavoX because he STILL hasn't done any activity since 3/23/2012. Either he forgot about this website somehow, or something bad happened to him. I sure hope it isn't the latter.