Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sqrrt121

Kindness to others!

So, I was walking home from school today. It was raining hardcore and wind was blowing everywhere (classic NZ Wellington) and one of my mums friends picked me up along with her children and dropped me off home. This was incredible as my family is quite poor and has no car. I was wondering, has anything happened like this (someone going out of their way to help you ect.) in the past few days?

A while ago a classmate offered to drive me twenty minutes back to my house and then back to school again so I could retrieve some homework for the next class we had. It was cool until I discovered my garage not working, thus making the trip all for naught. Later, it wasn't so much the garage was broken, but the password changed and no one told me.

In the past few days I've had unluck after months of either luck, good karma or fortune shine my way.

On a side note, on Christmas Eve I was young and walking to my grandma's house in a blizzard. A man was nice enough to throw me a full can of pop out of his truck window. It struck me in the hip hard enough to take out my leg from under me.

Years later I was hit by a car in an ice storm. I had the day off from school due to the ice storm, so I was walking to a friend's. A car hit me, I tumbled down a hill and had my legs caught in a barbed wire fence. I still have the scars. 32 lacerations. I had to tear my pants into shorts to get out of the barbed wire. Worse yet, the car didn't stop. Hit honked and just drove away with me upside down hanging from the barbed wire. Once I got myself free someone was nice enough to stop and give me a ride. His first question was why I'd walk in shorts. I told him what happened, then he asked why I was even walking in an ice storm. He dropped me off at a friend's house and the friend's mom took me to the hospital / clinic. Funny how she didn't want to drive her son to my house in an ice storm or pick me up... but she had to drive in an ice storm anyway.

Sometimes I flush toilets in public restrooms that I don't plan on using so someone else doesn't have to look at stagnant poop when they walk in.

^^^ Heart stopped over laughter. You Sir are a saint.

My neighbor used his snow blower to blow out 12 inches of snow in my parking space in front of my house during the last snow storm while I was at work. I don't even know what he looks like but I'd thank him if I saw him.

I've been trying to do more random acts of kindness, but usually there so minor that if those people saw this thread they probably wouldn't even mention it. I shovel my neighbors sidewalk when it snows so he doesn't have to because his job corresponds to snow emergencies.

Also, in December I was waiting in line at Walmart with 2 items in the speedy checkout line and only one associate at register. I was getting visibly anxious so the 4 people ahead of me let me cut in front of them in line. When they rang up my card sale I got $20 cash back and distributed $5 to each of the people in line as a Christmas present to express my gratitude. In my experience I've always hated Walmart and the people in it but these people were exceptionally courteous.

I'd like to be more generous towards people in need, but more often than not the people I see in distress are more fortunate than me but have shitty attitudes. I'm not really sure what to do about someone who has to wait more than 5 minutes for their food order, or has their airplane flight delayed, or is having relationship problems between their two girlfriends.

I tend to let people on the opposite side go first in narrow passageways, and it's fun to meet the odd person doing the same thing. Almost always there is a spark in their eyes, a shared, slightly amused look, thinking of all those other people eager to rush forward afraid to lose a second or two, while life is all about those precious few moments when you get to stop and look around.

I was surprised by the kindness from others that I saw after we had several snowstorms here in the U.S. northeast. One morning, some guy just went around shoveling other people's property, including my own. He didn't do it for money, he just did it out of the kindness of his heart.

Similarly, when my car was stuck in a a mound of ice and snow, one of my neighbors helped dig me out. With the help of him, and another person I knew, we got my car out. I had no idea who my neighbor was; it was the first time I seen him. I asked him if he wanted some money, but he refused.

As for kindness to others on my part; I gave a homeless man $20 recently.

Kontra Kommando said:

I gave a homeless man $20 recently.

Some people might say that's overly generous, but I say that's as generous as it should be.

This reminded me of this song:

Not too long ago I found a german cockroach in my freezer. I took it out a placed it on the kitchen counter and left, thinking that it was probably dead. When I returned it was gone! Helping animals is a way to learn to help others without expecting anything immediate in return.

Perhaps "God" means helping people without them ever knowing it.

There was this stupid guy in a train. I think he was like some friend's friend's friend or something. He was the kind of guy who might just punch you for fun.

First he was sitting elsewhere. Then some darker skinned people come into the train. Then he moves away and comes sit in front of me.. and starts talking some racist crap about them to me. I tell him I'm not interested and how about he goes tell them that (kinda told him he's a coward). Next he punches me in the face and starts threatening to beat me up when the train stops. He may have punched me another time too.

I think the people he was insulting heard/noticed what happened and started talking to this guy. Can't remember the exact details, but when the train stopped, me and my friends stayed in the train. The stupid guy, his friends and the darker skinned people started fighting outside. Don't know who won the fight, but eventually they all left the area. I want to remember that the stupid guy and his friends ran away.

I think I never saw this stupid guy again. Some months later I heard he had hit someone I know with an axe to the head (but didn't die). I'm guessing this stupid guy is dead or in prison.

I've probably never done anything really kind to anyone. But I'm hardly ever very rude either, unless someone is behaving very stupidly in front of me, or call my phone (usually when I sleep) and try to sell me stuff that I don't need (I just hang up without saying anything, it's not like there's even a possibility to say anything when the other one is speed talking for 2-5 minutes).

I once gave some money to some beggar woman, but then she just asked for more and probably didn't even thank me. Now I'm just annoyed if some beggar asks money.. and just walk away without saying anything.

Long time ago I was walking home in a terrible hangover, it was a hot summer morning and this guy and his dog in a van gave me a lift near my house. All I know that he was a regular in the local bar and later I learned he was a friend of my late uncles.

Jimi said:

I think I never saw this stupid guy again. Some months later I heard he had hit someone I know with an axe to the head (but didn't die). I'm guessing this stupid guy is dead or in prison.

By any chance, was this asshole person a Juggalo? Because my friend Tom who was a crustie/drifter was in California (I think), and something like this happened to him. He had an argument with this ICP fan, and later that night, while he was sleeping in the squat; the Juggalo hacked his head with a hatchet. My friend didn't die, but he had lost most of the feeling in the left side of his body, and was seriously screwed up physically, and mentally as a result. He had to re-learn to walk, and everything. Figured I should ask, since the story seems so similar.

Sometimes if situation looks sinister I give tips to newbies at gym, I dont want to see them break their backs or rotator cuffs. Also, I always thank when possible and say hello to person who greets me. Hearing those two words when watching others do the same is rare.

I showed a coworker how to torrent so she could avoid buying Shaun T's Insanity Workout.

At my other job, I deal with tech-illiterate people, so I frequently bust out my laptop to assist them in transferring files from their devices or phones. Got me a few nice tips too.

When I visited New Zealand I couldn't get over how nice people were. For example, the lady in charge of a hostel I was staying at lent me and a friend her car for the day so we wouldn't have to rent one.