Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Unreal engine and Cryengine offer monthly plans

Not a lot of information on what it means... Does an entire dev team need UE subscriptions on an individual basis?

The marketplace for UE is interesting if anything. I could easily see a very lucrative meta-industry forming from that.

GeckoYamori said:

Not a lot of information on what it means... Does an entire dev team need UE subscriptions on an individual basis?

For UE you can subscribe for one month, download current build/source code and use it as much as you want. But 5% of profit from game based on UE is going to epic. Also, AD's and microtransactions count as profit from game too.
Subscribing for more will just give more updates.

So, what happens if you release something based on those engines and your license expires...?

You'll have the money to buy it full.

Maes said:

So, what happens if you release something based on those engines and your license expires...?

There is no license, if I'm not mistaken. Epic receives money from your profit more, than from subscription.

Satyr000 said:

From what I read, they take 5% of profit of each game sold.

I doubt any developer will want to fork over that kind of royalty.

30% from Apple. Just easier to make free games and live off ads that go to you. I think Steam is also around 30%, but I've heard people say differing things. Humble is 20%, but 10% goes to Humble, 10% goes to charity. The discount goes to the player.

Someone can correct me if I'm off on any of this.

Technician said:

I doubt any developer will want to fork over that kind of royalty.

Unreal already charges 400k for a PC license, plus royalties (the exact amount I can't remember) unless you give them a million. UDK is free until you make $50,000 and then they charge 25% royalties.

It's a very popular engine, and that gave Epic all the leeway they needed to make mad bank.

They must want people buying stuff out of the market place to get their percentage. Although there would be a disconnect between 400K and $20 per month. Or they just want the 5%.